How A Writer Dies - Blog Page 4

Quote: Tom G @ July 15 2009, 11:47 PM BST

So the guy who we are all suppossed to idolise and pay money to critique our scripts and buy his books

No, that's the other Marc Withersea.

Quote: Tom G @ July 16 2009, 8:11 AM BST

There are people on here who can boast as many writing credits.

What is the relevance of this comment?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 16 2009, 11:31 AM BST

What is the relevance of this comment?

I hope there's not going to be a new rule where all our comments have to be actually relevant to anything! :O

Quote: chipolata @ July 16 2009, 11:32 AM BST

I hope there's not going to be a new rule where all our comments have to be actually relevant to anything! :O

:D

(I was curious as to what point this is trying to make, s'all.)

ok ok ok. His blog just sounded like he'd got frustrated through getting nowhere, apart from his Sitcom book.

I'm just wondering why he's thinking of jacking it in, that's all.

Teary

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 16 2009, 1:51 PM BST

ok ok ok. His blog just sounded like he'd got frustrated through getting nowhere, apart from his Sitcom book.

I'm just wondering why he's thinking of jacking it in, that's all.

Teary

You'd probably need to read it (incl. archive) to find out.

:)

I just did and -whew-he's on quite a downer.
The losing the agent bit is genuinley painful to read - as are some of the rejections.
It sort of makes you feel better and worse all at the same time.
Sick

When blues legend Des O'Connor remarked 'awooooh eeee only my dawg understands me', he was obviously referning to Marc Blake. Our post-literate society, more than ever before, relies upon comedy writers/teachers like Marc Blake. Society is powered by peer pressure, one of the most powerful forces in the world. Marc is, in fact, a very modest man; when I asked him why he was so successful, he replied, "I'm a fission reactor, I fart plutonium, power plants are fueled by my sperm!" Rest assured, Marc is far from beaten.

Quote: Joseff @ July 16 2009, 2:37 PM BST

When blues legend Des O'Connor remarked 'awooooh eeee only my dawg understands me', he was obviously referning to Marc Blake. Our post-literate society, more than ever before, relies upon comedy writers/teachers like Marc Blake. Society is powered by peer pressure, one of the most powerful forces in the world. Marc is, in fact, a very modest man; when I asked him why he was so successful, he replied, "I'm a fission reactor, I fart plutonium, power plants are fueled by my sperm!" Rest assured, Marc is far from beaten.

Sarky Git! Angelic

Quote: Lazzard @ July 16 2009, 3:37 PM BST

Sarky Git! Angelic

See? In this case - er - possibly... Angelic

I did Marc's course a few years back, according to his blog those courses no longer run. It gave me a good grounding. I think what Marc does is give you an idea of the method he uses when writing, from there you find out what method suits you best, its all about trial and error.

The blog is a downer to read I agree, and at times he is too bitter, but I guess he can get away with it after writing for so long and not getting anywhere, but his bitterness towards people in the industry does come through in the blog and is painful to read. I agree about the losing his agent part, the bit where he e-mailed his agent a few times after he'd dropped him was like contacting an ex girlfriend after she'd dumped you.

Only Marc truly knows why he is giving up after all this time, after reading his blog it seems to make sense that he leaves it. After all, its one less person for us lot to compete against :) but seriously there is a good reason why he hasn't had any work accepted for years despite the odd TV/radio credit, I wouldn't like to be the one that says what that reason is though.

Above anything else, he seemed a decent bloke, we perhaps didn't share the same sense of humour but yeah he was a good teacher and a decent bloke.

Larry David* believes all writing courses are a complete waste of time and money.

I agree.

*And I mean the real Larry David - not Jacob Loves Comedy, above.

The blog writer should maybe try anti-depressants.

Quote: don rushmore @ July 16 2009, 4:28 PM BST

Larry David* believes all writing courses are a complete waste of time and money.

I agree.

How many have you been on Don?

I agree.

I love Larry, butthat's only his opinion. Nothing wrong with writing courses, its the same as doing any course i.e. a directors course, a production course, guitar lessons. We go into these types of courses perhaps needing a shove in the right direction, they are not actually teaching us how to write, but how to go about certain things, and avoiding certain traps etc. You take from writing course what you need to, anything else you can just leave behind.

On another note, I think some people should have a bit more respect for Marc Blake, the majority have been fine, but some have been a little harsh I feel.

I know that it's David Croft's opinion that one is either able or not able to write comedy...

Read a few books on screen-writing over the years. I find just watching great comedy and drama from a writer's point of view - seeing why jokes work, why a certain scene structure works, how to develop characters and plots et cetera, is a great education in itself. Watch a good show to enjoy it, then watch it again as a technical exercise. Have an open mind on writing courses as I've never been on one.