Status report Page 891

I was told by my state trooper uncle that the numbers on the plates are different from regular numbers so that if the car turns up missing it's easier to track down...I think that's a load of bollocks and he just doesn't know. He graduated bottom of his class supposedly.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 17 2009, 2:18 AM BST

What are/why do you have dealer's plates in the US? (This was the only thing in Fargo which didn't make sense to me.)

They're just license plates that dealers can slap on the vehicles they own when they take people for test drives, etc. I think they basically make the car legal and insured while they're affixed.

I have a temporary paper plate on my car. In a week or two I'll get the permanent metal plates. Texas has a new design for their plates this year, so they should look something like this:

Odd how you rarely hear of people who graduated bottom of their class? Certainly not on TV. I'd like to see a cop or FBI show where the hero was the least able of their contempories. :)

Quote: DaButt @ July 17 2009, 2:24 AM BST

They're just license plates that dealers can slap on the vehicles they own when they take people for test drives, etc. I think they basically make the car legal and insured while they're affixed.

I have a temporary paper plate on my car. In a week or two I'll get the permanent metal plates. Texas has a new design for their plates this year, so they should look something like this:

Right, I see. Still seems f**king pointless, but at least I understand. :)

Have to agree with Tim. It's... pointless.

Quote: DaButt @ July 17 2009, 2:24 AM BST

I think those would be called Trade Plates over here, but dealers would never let you drive a sold vehicles with those. You have to sort out your insurance before you drive away from the dealer. Number plates have a permanent ID for each vehicle so don't need changing.

The validity of the annual registration is a tax disk a circular certificate about 3" accross, which must be displayed on the vehicle, usually stuck to the inside of the windscreen where it can be read from outside.

Delivery drivers often deliver a vehicle with Trade Plates and then they take the plates off and hitch-hike back showing the plates in their hands.

Quote: billwill @ July 17 2009, 2:59 AM BST

Delivery drivers often deliver a vehicle with Trade Plates and then they take the plates off and hitch-hike back showing the plates in their hands.

Is that so other lorry drivers know not to murder them?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 17 2009, 3:02 AM BST

Is that so other lorry drivers know not to murder them?

Probably.

:O :D

====

Billwill is internally screaming in agony as his wrist hurts.

Like a severe sprain, but I didn't actually sprain it.

Sick Teary

Quote: billwill @ July 17 2009, 3:07 AM BST

Probably.

:O :D

====

Sick Teary

Stop moaning. Rolling eyes

Quote: billwill @ July 17 2009, 3:07 AM BST

Sick Teary

Stand back, I'm a doctor!

Now, did you accidentally hit it with an iron?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 17 2009, 3:15 AM BST

Stand back, I'm a doctor!

Now, did you accidentally hit it with an iron?

No.

But I did lift some plastic tubs with about 25-30kg of magazines in them.

Quote: billwill @ July 17 2009, 3:17 AM BST

No.

What kinds of magazines? Not that it's got anything to do with your injury... or there again, you did say wrist didn't you?

Quote: billwill @ July 17 2009, 3:17 AM BST

No.

Right, I see...

Did you accidentally hit it with a hammer?

Quote: Robert D @ July 17 2009, 3:18 AM BST

What kinds of magazines? Not that it's got anything to do with your injury... or there again, you did say wrist didn't you?

Heh, heh.

Computer Graphic art & camcorder magazines..

I've been wrapping them in Cling Film.

muhahahaha..

What about with an ungainly child's tricycle?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 17 2009, 3:19 AM BST

Right, I see...

Did you accidentally hit it with a hammer?

Not recently..

Twisted it about 8 months ago.. When a power drill jammed.