Writing for female characters

I'm writing a sitcom which has one female character and one male character.

What should I be aware of when writing for females?

PMT?

Quote: Griff @ July 6 2009, 10:17 AM BST

Always use the word "feisty".

:D

Most girls don't have a willy (only the lucky ones do).

Do what Allen does. He writes women's parts as if they were men. I think I read that he says all men and women have the same basic goals, aspirations, motivations. A gender divide doesn't really change much... unless you happen to be in bed with someone.

lol, at feisty.

Quote: SlagA @ July 6 2009, 10:54 AM BST

Do what Allen does. He writes women's parts as if they were men. I think I read that he says all men and women have the same basic goals, aspirations, motivations. A gender divide doesn't really change much... unless you happen to be in bed with someone.

lol, at feisty.

I do that. I thought it was a bad habit.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ July 6 2009, 10:16 AM BST

Disclaimer: Despite my name I'm not a woman.

The best female written character I've seen is Elaine Bennis. The writers on Seinfield just wrote Elaine in the same way they would write a man. That's not to say they wrote her as a man...because they didn't sit down and figure out how, specifically, a man would behave in such a situation. They don't need to, they're males, they can assume. So, like with Jerry, George and Kramer, they just used her characteristics and plotting to guide them and ignored gender. Her gender only comes into play when it's funny (Plot ideas etc).

The worst is Coupling. The writing is excrutiatingly laboured for the women. It feels like Moffat has sat down and eked out every line as he tried to re-configure his brain to operate like a womans: to fixate on their issues, their obsessions, their emotions and, crucially, their sense of humour. Unfortuately, gender is intuitive and you can't hope to hone a sophisicated replication of female instincts by simply mapping out your understanding of them in your mind. He tries to distinguish between the female sense of humour and the male sense of humour in the show; so whereas the male sections draw from Moffats highly developed sense of humour, the female sections draw from Moffats thorough analysis of what the female sense of humour entails. So it comes out as sterile bollocks.

I'd say concentrate on making sure your idea of the character is genuinely feminine (not a writers masturbatory ideal of feminity i.e/ fiesty, relentlessly quick-witted and sexy). After that just try to remain faithful to the character and not worry too much if a certain line or action is what a woman would do. Your're writing for one woman (the character) not an entire gender; if you think she'd do it, it dosen't matter if Princess Anne woulden't.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ July 6 2009, 10:16 AM BST

Try and write in as many nude scenes as possible?

Seriously, just remember the character is a person.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 6 2009, 11:12 AM BST

Laughing out loud

Or at least let them believe they are ;)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 6 2009, 11:12 AM BST

Try and write in as many nude scenes as possible?

And always bear in mind the wrap party.

:)

Quote: evelynblake @ July 6 2009, 11:09 AM BST

Disclaimer: Despite my name I'm not a woman.

The best female written character I've seen is Elaine Bennis. The writers on Seinfield just wrote Elaine in the same way they would write a man. That's not to say they wrote her as a man...because they didn't sit down and figure out how, specifically, a man would behave in such a situation. They don't need to, they're males, they can assume. So, like with Jerry, George and Kramer, they just used her characteristics and plotting to guide them and ignored gender. Her gender only comes into play when it's funny (Plot ideas etc).

The worst is Coupling. The writing is excrutiatingly laboured for the women. It feels like Moffat has sat down and eked out every line as he tried to re-configure his brain to operate like a womans: to fixate on their issues, their obsessions, their emotions and, crucially, their sense of humour. Unfortuately, gender is intuitive and you can't hope to hone a sophisicated replication of female instincts by simply mapping out your understanding of them in your mind. He tries to distinguish between the female sense of humour and the male sense of humour in the show; so whereas the male sections draw from Moffats highly developed sense of humour, the female sections draw from Moffats thorough analysis of what the female sense of humour entails. So it comes out as sterile bollocks.

I'd say concentrate on making sure your idea of the character is genuinely feminine (not a writers masturbatory ideal of feminity i.e/ fiesty, relentlessly quick-witted and sexy). After that just try to remain faithful to the character and not worry too much if a certain line or action is what a woman would do. Your're writing for one woman (the character) not an entire gender; if you think she'd do it, it dosen't matter if Princess Anne woulden't.

Great post, thanks.

I think the movie "As Good As It Gets" said it best:

Receptionist: How do you write women so well?
Melvin Udall: I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.

Sexist lols.

The script I'm working on with BBC Northern Laughs has two female leads. I think it's important to not go for the obvious "girly" references, because you risk writing stereotypes in the same way that a white middle class guy from Harrogate might write a black character from Brixton, or vice versa.

I think it also helps if you work or have worked around women, or in my case grew up with them (I have two sisters).

Basically male and females speak very similarly but there are subtle differences. Women for instance tend to be more empathetic than men. I think the rule of thumb is - if it feels wrong while you're writing it, it probably is.

I know a few women who think the female characters in Coupling are very well written. Not necessarily accurate, any more than the men are, but just as well observed if you see what I mean.

But wouldn't they have been written by a woman? Unless you're just giving an example of good writing.