Best Series of Steptoe and Son?

I have only watched Series One so far and can't wait to dive into Series 2-7. I hear they get better as they go along. What is everybody's favourite series? :)

Quote: Britcom Fan @ June 27 2009, 10:30 PM BST

I have only watched Series One so far and can't wait to dive into Series 2-7. I hear they get better as they go along. What is everybody's favourite series? :)

Well for me it seems that the colour episodes are the better for some reason, so I guess what you've been told is pretty true really. Welcome by the way.

The first two episodes of Series Two were not very good and only watchable. I hope they get better! I bought the whole boxset for £29 on Amazon after a fairly enjoyable Series One. Still, if it ends up not being worth the money I can stick it on eBay and get a few quid back. Thanks for the welcome by the way. :)

Quote: Britcom Fan @ June 27 2009, 11:52 PM BST

The first two episodes of Series Two were not very good and only watchable. I hope they get better! I bought the whole boxset for £29 on Amazon after a fairly enjoyable Series One. Still, if it ends up not being worth the money I can stick it on eBay and get a few quid back. Thanks for the welcome by the way. :)

I'll give you £15 now, sight unseen !

:P

Blimey! :O

It really won't come to that.

It's mostly all great, agree that first season or two are weaker overall, but still very good. My overall favourite would be series 4 probably.

The last two seasons are fantastic.

Quote: Britcom Fan @ June 27 2009, 10:30 PM BST

There were eight series.

The first two episodes of Series Two were not very good

Wallah Wallah Catsmeat- classic episode, top guest appearance from John Laurie

Anyway, series 7 for me, some classics, such as Divided we Stand and The Desperate Hours.

Series 7 for me as well. Manages to get pathos and knockabout about right. Plus it's in colour, which helps.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 29 2009, 10:13 PM BST

Anyway, series 7 for me, some classics, such as Divided we Stand and The Desperate Hours.

Not an unmitigated Steptoe fan but I have to agree that both those episodes are genius.

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 28 2009, 12:01 AM BST

I'll give you £15 now, sight unseen !

:P

Any further thoughts ?

Cash waiting !

:)

The 2-7 thing was a typo, knew there were 8 series, what with 7&8 being colour. My mistake! :)

I've nearly finished Series Two and am losing interest fast. :( My dad loves it though. I was born in the 1980s. So I think I might be a bit dated for me. Don't get wrong it's watchable...but that's about as far it goes at the moment. I might just skip to Series Seven and Eight for the colour. Are there any must see episodes in 3-6?

It might go on eBay afterwards, so I'll let you know!

Quote: Britcom Fan @ July 1 2009, 1:36 AM BST

Are there any must see episodes in 3-6?

Try Pilgrim's Progress (Series 4). A Winter's Tale! (Series 5) - just for the bit in the shower if nothing else. Two's Company, Without Prejudice and Cuckoo in the Nest (Series 6).

Quote: Britcom Fan @ July 1 2009, 1:36 AM BST

I've nearly finished Series Two and am losing interest fast. :( My dad loves it though. I was born in the 1980s. So I think I might be a bit dated for me. Don't get wrong it's watchable...but that's about as far it goes at the moment.

I was born in the late 1980s and it hasn't dated for me! Some of it can be a little slow, yes, but I can't imagine you'll regret sticking with it. Divided We Stand (S07E06) is probably my favourite episode, off-hand. I really can't urge you enough to watch it all.

I'd really love to see this series. I of course know about our version and feel bad for not enjoying Sanford and Son more.