Best Series of Steptoe and Son? Page 2

Quote: AndreaLynne @ July 1 2009, 4:30 AM BST

I'd really love to see this series. I of course know about our version and feel bad for not enjoying Sanford and Son more.

Try YouTube. There's a few episodes on there.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ July 1 2009, 2:33 AM BST

Try Pilgrim's Progress (Series 4). A Winter's Tale! (Series 5) - just for the bit in the shower if nothing else. Two's Company, Without Prejudice and Cuckoo in the Nest (Series 6).

Pilgrim's Progress is my favourite episode of Steptoe, superb stuff. The Lead Man Commeth from series 3 is worth watching also, as it contains a guest appearance from comedy legend Leonard Rossiter (he also appeared in the classic series 7 episode The Desperate Hours). I'm with Aaron on this one, watch all the series. I thought series 2 was a great series, I loved Albert's birthday and the episode about the cards game, which probably inspired the Only Fools and Horses episode A Losing Streak.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 1 2009, 9:47 AM BST

Pilgrim's Progress is my favourite episode of Steptoe, superb stuff. The Lead Man Commeth from series 3 is worth watching also, as it contains a guest appearance from comedy legend Leonard Rossiter (he also appeared in the classic series 7 episode The Desperate Hours). I'm with Aaron on this one, watch all the series. I thought series 2 was a great series, I loved Albert's birthday and the episode about the cards game, which probably inspired the Only Fools and Horses episode A Losing Streak.

PP's great. One of my favs as well. Will give Lead Man Commeth a go this evening. Bit slack on watching the earlier series. Only Fools and Horses is bit of a rip off of Steptoe and Son really. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe rip-off is too strong a word, but certainly inspirational. Such as for example the series 6 episode The Three Feathers is for me a combination of the Only Fools episodes Cash & Curry and Chain Gang.

John Sullivan, writer of Only Fools and Horses has a wiki page that says:

Sullivan got a lot of his material for Only Fools and Horses scripts from his real-life experiences i.e. the chandelier falling, *his father's poker sessions*, his niece working in the police force, and his grandfather falling down holes to claim money.

I know it's wiki, but I'm quite sure I've heard this before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sullivan_(writer)

Series 2 is my favourite, with some great episodes:
The Bath
Sixty-Five Today
A Musical Evening
Full House