1980s US comedy films Page 11

Quote: Curt @ June 25 2009, 1:30 PM BST

Double what?! It's like I'm talking to a second hand salesmen trying to sell me a DVDs from his .99 cent DVD bin.

Agreed.

What?!

Double what?! It's like I'm talking to a second hand salesmen trying to sell me a DVDs from his .99 cent DVD bin.

Second Hand Salesmen = Used item salesmen

.99 cent = 00.99

cent = coins, under 1 dollar.

DVD= Digital Video Disc

bin = a container to hold things

Overall I was saying you had bad taste. Hope that helps.
Wave

Quote: Curt @ June 25 2009, 1:46 PM BST

DVD= Digital Video Versatile Disc

Quote: Kenneth @ June 25 2009, 1:48 PM BST

Laughing out loud You win this round!

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 24 2009, 9:55 PM BST

Me too, and Young Sherlock Holmes.

I used to really like that fim, it has a nice creepy edge to it.

Quote: Leevil @ June 25 2009, 1:47 PM BST

I'm not wrong. You can use them interchangeably.

What?!

You do it a disservice to view Ski School as merely a formulaic 1980's comedy movie. It has existentialist moments that transcend the rather trite limitations of humour. It asks the questions "Why do we ski? Why do we part-ay?" as a conduit to more far-reaching quesitons such as, "What is consciousness?". It speaks greater volumes about the human condition than anything Fellini ever did.

(Ski School 2 was, however, shit.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 25 2009, 3:46 PM BST

You do it a disservice to view Ski School as merely a formulaic 1980's comedy movie. It has existentialist moments that transcend the rather trite limitations of humour. It asks the questions "Why do we ski? Why do we part-ay?" as a conduit to more far-reaching quesitons such as, "What is consciousness?". It speaks greater volumes about the human condition than anything Fellini ever did.

(Ski School 2 was, however, shit.)

Really? Well then....I guess I'll give it a second viewing then. Bazaar!

I don't think I saw National Lampoon's Vacation, European Vacation and Christmas Vacation.

I just watched Christmas Vacation the other day.

No love for European Vacation and Eric Idle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsM0CwqGrBs

"No problem squire"Laughing out loud

Three Amigos, they were all imeccable in that. And I will play Devil's Advocate for the first Police Academy movie. I enjoyed it damn you! Either that or Kim Cattral's legs.

Quote: deckard @ June 26 2009, 11:10 PM BST

I don't think I saw National Lampoon's Vacation, European Vacation and Christmas Vacation.

I just watched Christmas Vacation the other day.

No love for European Vacation and Eric Idle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsM0CwqGrBs

"No problem squire"Laughing out loud

Laughing out loud I liked that movie.
And I loved Police Academy movies when I was a kid. They were my favourite, I would watch every one over and over again. I have an itching felling I wouldn't find them as funny as I did as a child though.

You might with the first one!
And if not quite as funny, you'll still enjoy it. I do anyway.

Not sure if it counts as a US movie, but certainly a very funny Steve Martin one -Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Ruprecht the Monkey Boy is a classic performance.

On a related note, has anybody else noticed the 80s phenomenon of having a unnamed character in one scene with one hilarious line with no other connection to the plot?

Most well-known example is the "I'll have what she's having" lady in When Harry Met Sally, but there's also the chap in the gents' toilets in Innerspace who tells Martin Short appropos his penis, "hey pal, you're supposed to have fun with it, not talk to it", and the guy in All of Me who says "Gee, everyone's gonna be real disappointed by that" when Steve Martin tries to tell Lily Tomlin that he won't share his body with anyone.

Probably worth a discussion on another thread, but definitely a singularly 80s phenomenon.

I'm glad this thread was revived and re-marketed. I'm writing a script at the moment which is somewhere between Weird Science and Heathers. It's got no chance in England but it's so much fun to write!

No love for Heathers yet. Ok it's not exactly innocent fun but it's one of my all time faves.

They create a woman and then convince her to kill herself, whilst wearing bras on their heads of course.