1980s US comedy films Page 13

Even though, after introducing my six year old brother to Ghostbusters, he has watched it every day for the past two weeks, I still think it is the greatest comedy film of all time. I'm not exaggerating when I say 90% of what Bill Murray says in that film still makes me laugh. In particular the "Go get her Ray" bit.
Trains, Planes and Automobiles is also hilarious, the bit when the car gets set on fire and the wallet is still in there has me in stitches every single time, and I don't know why. Havn't watched much other 80's Martin stuff, I've heard his standup and didn't find it funny at all.

I quite liked Ghostbusters II. I know it took a bit of a critical pasting, but I think it has a certain charm, and is a damn sight more enjoyable than a lot of todays crass sequels (Transformers, Matrix etc).

The main reward for watching Ghostbusters and its sequel was to witness Ernie Hudson turn up years later as the warden Leo Glynn in Oz. Likewise, Tobias Beecher (Lee Tergesen) of Oz started out as Terry the long-haired crew dude in Wayne's World.

Oz <3

Rupert Pupkin- a man for our time!

Unbelievable that Martin Scorcese's King of Comedy was so overlooked at the time; it's a fantastic piece of work and one of DeNiro's best performances. Modern cringe comedy owes much to this film with Rupert Pupkin still as toe curling as Alan Partridge. Nearly 30 years on we parade delusional obsessive no-hopers like Pupkin for our amusement every Saturday night or they are achieving fame despite having no talent.

Very underrated little US gem from the 80s is Lost in America written and starring Albert Brooks. Taking their lead from Easy Rider Brooks and wife (Julia Haggerty) shun their New York yuppy lifestyle to travel around America in camper van. Some observant, very funny and underplayed performances.

Quote: Leevil @ August 12 2009, 11:16 AM BST

Oz <3

Do you like the cowardly lion most?

I <3 that Oz too.

Quote: Leevil @ July 24 2008, 12:13 PM BST

Gaaayyy!!

Whistling nnocently

>_< I don't believe you don't enjoy that film as much as me! :P

Quote: youngian @ August 12 2009, 11:49 AM BST

Rupert Pupkin- a man for our time!

Unbelievable that Martin Scorcese's King of Comedy was so overlooked at the time; it's a fantastic piece of work and one of DeNiro's best performances. Modern cringe comedy owes much to this film with Rupert Pupkin still as toe curling as Alan Partridge. Nearly 30 years on we parade delusional obsessive no-hopers like Pupkin for our amusement every Saturday night or they are achieving fame despite having no talent.

Except Pupkin did have a certain amount of talent. Certainly his stand up routine, which we only see towards the very end of the film, isn't too bad at all. He's actually pretty decent.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 12 2009, 10:36 AM BST

The main reward for watching Ghostbusters and its sequel was to witness Ernie Hudson turn up years later as the warden Leo Glynn in Oz. Likewise, Tobias Beecher (Lee Tergesen) of Oz started out as Terry the long-haired crew dude in Wayne's World.

Eamon Walker is a familiar face now but it was odd at the time seeing Alf Garnett's camp social worker turning up in Oz and stealing the show.

Quote: Leevil @ August 12 2009, 12:55 PM BST

>_< I don't believe you don't enjoy that film as much as me! :P

It's ok, I like it when it changes from black and white to colour.

There was a Wizard of Oz before that version, which is supposed to contain some shockingly racist humour that even Aaron would balk at.

Quote: Mickeza @ August 11 2009, 11:37 PM BST

Even though, after introducing my six year old brother to Ghostbusters, he has watched it every day for the past two weeks, I still think it is the greatest comedy film of all time. I'm not exaggerating when I say 90% of what Bill Murray says in that film still makes me laugh. In particular the "Go get her Ray" bit.
Trains, Planes and Automobiles is also hilarious, the bit when the car gets set on fire and the wallet is still in there has me in stitches every single time, and I don't know why. Havn't watched much other 80's Martin stuff, I've heard his standup and didn't find it funny at all.

"When somebody asks you if you're a God, you say yes!"

Quote: chipolata @ August 12 2009, 12:56 PM BST

Except Pupkin did have a certain amount of talent. Certainly his stand up routine, which we only see towards the very end of the film, isn't too bad at all. He's actually pretty decent.

That's a fair point despite harsh words from the arresting officer; "You wrote that material?- you're ought to plead the judge for mercy."