Opinions Please! Page 7

Quote: Chappers @ May 21 2009, 5:30 PM BST

But as I keep saying it seems to be perfectly acceptable to laugh at Christians and their beliefs.

And maybe you shouldn't keep saying this!

Well it is fine to laugh at beliefs that you have been raised in, understand on an intrinsic level and can intelligently critique. Most people don't know enough about Shintoism to make qualified remarks.
Mocking Christianity is like mocking your parents/the older generation.

And other cultures mock themselves - because they have that level of understanding.

I've seen the occasional ex-Muslim mocking Islam on internet forums. It usually results in a death threat or two -- so I don't think the cultural background of the mocker matters.

Jerry Sadowitz sorta tried something similar to this on The People Vs Jerry Sadowitz, it was a pretty great show(mainly cos Sadowitz was there) but Sadowitz himself was hugely disappointed with how it hardly ever got any serious messages across or the like.

I don't think we should mix comedy and religion.
Look at 'The Vicar of Dibley'.

Quote: Lazzard @ May 22 2009, 8:57 AM BST

I don't think we should mix comedy and religion.
Look at 'The Vicar of Dibley'.

:D

I was going to quote a comment someone wrote but there's a few things I want to clear up. Death threats aren't acceptable and obviously knowing a lot about Islam and being Muslim are two different things, if you know a lot you can understand WHY it's offensive but if you're Muslim you'll actually BE offended, that's why I said that but as is often the case, we're digressing from the topic which was about a contraversial show, not salman rushdie, so yeah, the show, bad idea.

How about a show featuring an aspiring suicide bomber?

Quote: Lee Henman @ May 21 2009, 2:01 PM BST

I find it very strange how any religion can advocate murder because of a perceived sleight against it.

No religion does that. Nutters do that using religion as an excuse but not the religion itself.

Quote: Chappers @ May 21 2009, 5:30 PM BST

But as I keep saying it seems to be perfectly acceptable to laugh at Christians and their beliefs.

As it should be. It should be acceptable to laugh at anyone's beliefs. Going out of your way to offend people on the other hand, should not be acceptable. The complement to that is that people should try not to get offended by things.

If some says something Anti-Semitic or Homophobic ... I can BE offended even if I am not homosexual or Jewish. Such is the life of a hand wringing liberal.

On the topic of the show ... Ego Trip's the Big Book of Racism tackles similar themes but does them ... well... I think can't remember as it has been a while.

Quote: Morrace @ May 22 2009, 12:14 PM BST

How about a show featuring an aspiring suicide bomber?

I've already thought of that. It stars Ricky Gervais and it's called Semtextras.

4 Lions

Quote: Zuhaib @ May 22 2009, 11:58 AM BST

obviously knowing a lot about Islam and being Muslim are two different things, if you know a lot you can understand WHY it's offensive but if you're Muslim you'll actually BE offended.

It's a lot easier to convert to Islam than to Judaism. I know loads of Muslims who take no offence to The Satanic Verses. Most Muslims have never heard of Salman Rushdie.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 22 2009, 1:55 PM BST

I know loads of Muslims

Nobody likes a bragger. :)

Quote: chipolata @ May 22 2009, 2:15 PM BST

Nobody likes a bragger. :)

Is that something to brag about? ;) ;)

Joke!!