Opinions Please! Page 4

Quote: Ben @ May 20 2009, 12:37 PM BST

Sounds a bit muddled to me, mate.

Sounds more cliched to me. I don't think we can all come together. I think we're doomed.

Out of interest, Darren, did you come up with the idea first or the 'controversial' setup?

It would be a stage show, I think I mentioned that already , apologies if I didnt!

The idea came a week ago when a black friend of mine and I were having a bit of a slanging match in the pub. All a bit pissed and joking but we started getting really racial but at the same time very funny.

E.G - Someone spilt a bit of there drink and I said 'better be careful not to make a puddle there, he'll (pointing to my black mate) drown in that, we all no black people can't swim'

It drew alot of attention in the pub from members of the public who you could see were laughing from behind their pub menu's and so forth.

It is a little muddled because like I mentioned it was just a thought, I haven't really done anything with it yet, I got a few projects I'm working on already and don't know whether this would be worth the time. Hence the reason I posted.

I'd recommend going with the other projects.

You know you're on to a loser when Marc P sticks the knife in. :(

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 12:48 PM BST

The difference between Muslims and Christians is that when Christians get offended they don't kill anyone. Muslims do. Or at least the extremist ones.

First off the apology was not needed and I didn't ask for it. What I would say is that don't make comments like this, I agree the extremists are wrong but there's "good" and "bad" people everywhere right? You don't need to post comments like this which are likely to cause offence but like Mark said, you're better off investing your time elsewhere :)

Quote: chipolata @ May 20 2009, 1:14 PM BST

You know you're on to a loser when Marc P sticks the knife in. :(

Yeah I know! I wouldn't say I am a loser maybe just the project though. Lol

Onwards and upwards!

:)

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ May 20 2009, 1:07 PM BST

The idea came a week ago when a black friend of mine and I were having a bit of a slanging match in the pub. All a bit pissed and joking but we started getting really racial but at the same time very funny.

:O Ouch. That could turn really, really nasty.

I think these sort of things raise more issues than they resolve and ... are better handled with more subtlety as they are quite complex. And ignoring sexuality and disability throws up lots of issues as well.

[edited for spelling ... fool that I am]

Darren, have you ever seen the '70's sitcom 'Mind Your Language'? This was full of what you were talking about. Not fondly remembered, I don't think.

And real racism ... the stuff that bothers me is in terms of opportunities, privileges, the fact that certain colours of people die earlier, get sent to jail more frequently and frankly terrible lives.
That you can be President of the United States of America and people will still "just" think of you as $ETHNIC all of that is depressing.

Name calling ... really doesn't get a look in. It is also why I am less than impressed by Family Guy which ignores these dynamics when hiding behind the "equal opportunities offender" tag.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 20 2009, 2:45 PM BST

Darren, have you ever seen the '70's sitcom 'Mind Your Language'? This was full of what you were talking about. Not fondly remembered, I don't think.

May I refer the learned gentleman to my earlier post?

Quote: don rushmore @ May 19 2009, 3:49 PM BST

Chappers, I don't believe that making a racist or nationalist comment towards, say, a West Indian guy, is justifiable or defendable simply by making an equally horrid nationalist comment towards someone from, say, a white background. Two wrongs don't make a right.

But then maybe you come from a generation that believes mocking skin colour, cultural differences etc, is nothing more than a little bit of lighthearted banter? And that, perhaps, people shouldn't take it so seriously?

I didn't say that. But it always seems OK to take the piss out of Chrisianity.

Quote: Zuhaib @ May 20 2009, 1:17 PM BST

First off the apology was not needed and I didn't ask for it.

No, but your response to "People get even touchier when you start messing with religion. May even have to go and hide with Salman Rushdie" was "the salman rushdie comment was uncalled for"

Why was it uncalled for? The thread is about a proposal for a deliberately 'controversial' show. According to Missus Afinkawan and a recent BBC 4 documentary, 'The Satanic Verses' courted controversy. The point made is that religion can provoke very strong and violent reactions.

I remember at the time the nauseating spectacle of Cat Stevens on Newsnight demanding the murder of Sir Salman. I was so sickened I was heard to say: 'I hope he's brought his guitar'.