Script hijacked Page 3

Laughing out loud Michael. That was just naughty and rude....and funny.

Good points made by Griff.

I think, like everything else, too much reading can't be good, sticking to strict guidelines.

I would say read a book, get the gist of it, then start writing.

I think writing CVs and job applications is a bit OTT! I'm beginning to think you've got a rundown of their past life too - :D

I would say make it funny throughout. If it's a comedy drama, drama is fine, if it's a sitcom, not so much. I'd say you need at least a few laughs at the end.

Good luck.

Quote: hey_nonny @ May 13 2009, 7:45 AM BST

Other question is should a sitcom pilot have to be funny all the way through?

It's good to aim for three laughs a page (or per minute) at least (according to Micheal). I write quick first drafts where you're just putting the bare bones down but it's the rewriting where it matters when you go through every line and exchange trying to make it funnier which may take a while.

Quote: hey_nonny @ May 13 2009, 7:45 AM BST

May sound like a strange question but I planned all the scenes to the plot, started writing then 'at the risk of sounding schizophrenic' those bloody characters I created hijacked the script and started doing their own things. Have now ended up with a four page final scene which is pure drama without a single laugh, it ends the pilot with a totally unexpected twist.

I think we should be flexible with our outlines to allow for the characters to do something else more interesting or funnier as we get to know them. It just means we have to revise our character prior to that point to make it consistent with the new direction.

The two minute scene with no laughs doesn't have to be dumped altogether. For instance there was that Only Fools and Horses epi which dealt with a miscarriage but was actually funny. You just need a character undermining the drama for whatever comic reason or whatever comic flaw that character has.

Been thinking a lot about this question "should a sitcom be funny all the way through?".
Everybody tells me yes and have read lots of good advice on this thread which I am grateful for and intended to follow, all of it until Craig posted this

"You seem to be asking for advice; answers to questions. But when you get them you disagree with them, if you already have your mind made up, why bother creating this thread?"

This upset me a bit at first as I did intend to follow all advice given then it got me thinking he's right I don't have to follow all advice blindly assuming it to be the correct advice for me.

"Should a sitcom be funny all the way through?"
No, not if I don't want it to be, I can write anything I like, if the script is strong enough with plenty of laughs until the last scene it should be able to support the ending.
OK this may be wrong but even if it is, should a producer or the writer's room, or whoever actually manage to get past page ten and all the way to the ending then it can't be that bad a script.

I don't think the script is sent to be a fully functional script ready for filming but more as an exhibition of your ability to create characters, scenes and plots.
If they don't like the ending they could reject the entire script or ask for an alternative ending, or even perhaps some would like the ending?

BBC and producers say they are always looking for an original voice, if I let the status quo dictate my style of writing then what's the chance of having an original voice? If a producer orders me to change the writing that's another thing entirely, should I ever be fortunate enough to get that far.

Thanks for all the advice a lot of which I am going to use, but as for the script I keep the ending. If I can make an audience laugh for 27 minutes, then shock them and make some of them cry for 3 minutes, I don see anything wrong with that. Thats my voice and if it doesn't work then I will have to change it, but think I may stick with the one I have for now. Maybe it's just a load of bollocks, will find out in a few months when my script is probably returned in pristine condition. Have to finish editing it first.

Quote: hey_nonny @ May 14 2009, 2:44 PM BST

Been thinking a lot about this question "should a sitcom be funny all the way through?".
Everybody tells me yes and have read lots of good advice on this thread which I am grateful for and intended to follow, all of it until Craig posted this

"You seem to be asking for advice; answers to questions. But when you get them you disagree with them, if you already have your mind made up, why bother creating this thread?"

This upset me a bit at first as I did intend to follow all advice given then it got me thinking he's right I don't have to follow all advice blindly assuming it to be the correct advice for me.

"Should a sitcom be funny all the way through?"
No, not if I don't want it to be, I can write anything I like, if the script is strong enough with plenty of laughs until the last scene it should be able to support the ending.
OK this may be wrong but even if it is, should a producer or the writer's room, or whoever actually manage to get past page ten and all the way to the ending then it can't be that bad a script.

I don't think the script is sent to be a fully functional script ready for filming but more as an exhibition of your ability to create characters, scenes and plots.
If they don't like the ending they could reject the entire script or ask for an alternative ending, or even perhaps some would like the ending?

BBC and producers say they are always looking for an original voice, if I let the status quo dictate my style of writing then what's the chance of having an original voice? If a producer orders me to change the writing that's another thing entirely, should I ever be fortunate enough to get that far.

Thanks for all the advice a lot of which I am going to use, but as for the script I keep the ending. If I can make an audience laugh for 27 minutes, then shock them and make some of them cry for 3 minutes, I don see anything wrong with that. Thats my voice and if it doesn't work then I will have to change it, but think I may stick with the one I have for now. Maybe it's just a load of bollocks, will find out in a few months when my script is probably returned in pristine condition. Have to finish editing it first.

I can't help but think your idea of having the audience in tears of laughter for 27 minutes, then tears of sadness for 3 is going to work - I don't think there has ever been a sitcom like that (ie. with NO laughs). I, for one, would be very shocked and bemused if I were laughing throughout a sitcom only to be suddenyl reduced to tears of sadness at the end.

But it's your project, so do what *you* want.

I am intrigued though, I would like to read it. *coughs, hint hint*

Are you actually German?
Just interested.
Wave

Quote: Lazzard @ May 14 2009, 3:17 PM BST

Are you actually German?
Just interested.
Wave

Sound like one don't I Laughing out loud wanting to make people laugh then forcing them to cry.
No, I'm from Rawmarsh.

Ahh.
Northern, then.

Quote: Craig H @ May 14 2009, 3:17 PM BST

I, for one, would be very shocked and bemused if I were laughing throughout a sitcom only to be suddenyl reduced to tears of sadness at the end.

The last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth took exactly this approach and it was incredible.

I too would be interested in reading this script. My curious nature has been aroused.

Def.

Quote: hey_nonny @ May 14 2009, 2:44 PM BST

Thanks for all the advice a lot of which I am going to use, but as for the script I keep the ending. If I can make an audience laugh for 27 minutes, then shock them and make some of them cry for 3 minutes, I don see anything wrong with that.

If you can make me laugh for 27 mins out of 30, I won't give a shit if the ending is good, bad or indifferent. :)

Quote: hey_nonny @ May 13 2009, 7:20 PM BST

Take it that's a true representation of yourself on the avtar?
Not even my dog is capable of such a moronic response and he's as thick as an especially dim jellyfish.
Then again he does look far more intelligent than the rodent related pathetic excuse for a dog you seem so proud to be displaying.

Nonny awaiting an equally asinine riposte.

er...this is a comedy site..eh?
Shi-tzus are extremely intelligent btw

Quote: Deferenz @ May 14 2009, 5:57 PM BST

The last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth took exactly this approach and it was incredible.

Def.

That was brilliant and left the studio audience gob-smacked.
The scene then fading into a poppy field was just awesome and a brilliant ending to the series.
Bring back Edmund Blackadder!

WW2 Blackadder, Blackadder in the present, Blackadder in the future, that would be like Red Dwarf on steroids.

Quote: Robin Kelly @ May 14 2009, 1:23 PM BST

It's good to aim for...

I like your Hello Kitty avatar.

Quote: Craig H @ May 14 2009, 3:17 PM BST

I am intrigued though, I would like to read it.

Believe me, you DON'T want to read one of my first drafts.

OK a long and boring post on why I don't post on critique anymore.
I'm a paranoid programmer, when you learn programming they constantly drum into you write reusable code. Each chunk of code you write to perform a certain function should be reusable, so you can use it in other programs with the minimum amount of modifications, 'right Aaron?'
You end up with a huge personal resource of code which you carefully guard.

I use exactly the same method with writing, everything I write is reusable, whether it be a sketch, character profile, test scenes for characters even rejected sitcom scripts will have something in them that can be modified and probably reused later, nothing is wasted.
If you build up a personal resource of text to be able to draw upon at any time it would be silly to put it on the internet.

The BCG forum seems to be a friendly, nice, safe place to be, but it's Internet.

The forum is well placed on search engines for a lot of major keywords so it's available to millions of people worldwide, not just the BCG users. The chance that there may be one or two people somewhere in the world who are not so nice and who may like to reuse your stuff for you isn't so remote. If your sketch was aired on Brazilian TV or performed in some small theatre somewhere you would never know about it until you get accused of plagiarism for reusing it yourself.

You can never be too careful on Internet.

Quote: Lazzard @ May 14 2009, 4:19 PM BST

Ahh.
Northern, then.

Oy!

Quote: Lee Henman @ May 15 2009, 10:25 AM BST

Oy!

Seconded.