Using your stand-up in a sitcom

Well, I've a meeting with production company tomorrow evening, having improved an initial script they liked. They are going to film it, no TV interest as yet. However, I've just realised most of my decent stand-up material is used in the script so basically I'll be watching other comedians/actors use my lovely lines I've built up over the past 3-4 yars. This makes me feel sad. As if the sitcom ever takes off, I'll have no stand-up set left. Has anyone faced this dilema?

PS. I'd much rather write a moderately successful sitcom than be a circuit stand-up. I think.

Dilemma?!

Where the hell is the dilemma? You are getting your sitcom made, that is more than most could ask for!

:D

Good luck with it. :)

Quote: Martin H @ April 15 2009, 11:03 PM BST

Dilemma?!

Where the hell is the dilemma? You are getting your sitcom made, that is more than most could ask for!

Good luck with it. :)

What he said ^

Best of luck matey. That's a great feat.

He's a writer... he's got to have something to moan about.

Yep, well done you.

I'm sure that's a dilemma for stand-ups who get their first TV break too. As soon as people have seen something on TV they expect new material if they go to see them live. You'd have been better off in that sense being a singer with one or two hits from the 80's. You could then have endless comeback tours based around the same songs!

But if your sitcom does well you can happily rake in the DVD sales and write new material based on the ups and downs of getting a sitcom made!

Win Win. Keep us posted.

Jx

Well done on getting this far.

The answer to your other dilemma is quite simple. Just write some new material. If you've done it once, you can do it again.

Quote: Jane P @ April 16 2009, 8:59 AM BST

You'd have been better off in that sense being a singer with one or two hits from the 80's. You could then have endless comeback tours based around the same songs!

I think Joe Pasquale would disagree!

I love these threads when people blatantly want to boast about their success but want to do so in a modest way!

Good luck with it!

Quote: Tom G @ April 16 2009, 10:13 AM BST

I love these threads when people blatantly want to boast about their success but want to do so in a modest way!

*the sound of a nail being hit on head*

Quote: al_gernon @ April 15 2009, 10:42 PM BST

so basically I'll be watching other comedians/actors use my lovely lines I've built up over the past 3-4 yars. This makes me feel sad. As if the sitcom ever takes off, I'll have no stand-up set left.

You've been using the same material for 3-4 years! Blimey, about time you got cracking on a new set anyway. :P

Good luck with the project.

God you writers are never happy are you... even when you get some success (congratulation by the way), you still find a way to moan ;)

Controversial thought: you could always write some new material for the second series? The production company would no doubt draft in some help too. Look at Not Going Out - series one was mostly Lee Mack's stand-up gags in a sitcom, but by the third series he'd used up most of his established gags, so there was five or six 'additional material' writers pitching in their gags too.

Once known as 'Pulling a Seefacts'.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 16 2009, 12:39 PM BST

Quote: al_gernon @ April 15 2009, 10:42 PM BST

Well, I've a meeting with production company tomorrow evening, having improved an initial script they liked. They are going to film it, no TV interest as yet. However, I've just realised most of my decent stand-up material is used in the script so basically I'll be watching other comedians/actors use my lovely lines I've built up over the past 3-4 yars. This makes me feel sad. As if the sitcom ever takes off, I'll have no stand-up set left. Has anyone faced this dilema?

Im finding this as well although im not quite in the 'dilema' of meeting production companies yet. But if any of my writing does become successful then my stand up will take a right battering. Im opposite to you in that sense, I enjoy the stand up more than I do the writing. For now anyway! ;)

Quote: Seefacts @ April 16 2009, 12:39 PM BST

Tom, did you read anything after the word 'success'? :P :D

Al, quit whining. If you're a one-shot gun then so what, it was a great first shot. If not, then you've nothing to worry about as you just keep churning the product out. ;)

Well done Al. There'll always be more material.