Red Dwarf - Back To Earth Page 3

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ April 11 2009, 1:38 AM BST

I even enjoyed the repeat of Tikka to ride, and I was extremely disappointed by that episode when I first saw it
(maybe it's a laughter track thing).

yep.

Funny in places, but still felt a little odd. I couldn't believe how short it was, I clocked it at around 24mins I think. I hope they get better.

The ad break came as a surprise too, although it shouldn't have.

Thought I'd stick this here too;

Red Dwarf: Back to Earth - Resolving the Series 8 Cliffhanger in the Dave Specia - Watched this now, it's pretty rough but I suppose it sorts things out.

Personally I thought it was poor. It was almost Chuckle Brothers-esque in some parts, what with the 'She's standing behind me! Uh oh!' bit for instance, and the 'keep the noise down back there, I'm trying to look for a squid!' or whatever it was. It just seemed like one long string of sitcom cliches (I realise there's meant to be an accent on that, but I can't find the correct combo on my keyboard :) ). I mean, I've never really been much of a Red Dwarf fan (insofar as I've not seen a lot of it, not that I haven't enjoyed what I've seen), but I just thought that this all seemed quite weak. Admittedly, with the first episode back after such a long absence the emphasis would have to be placed mainly on setting the scene, but even taking this into account it was quite disappointing.

Quote: Flaner @ April 10 2009, 11:18 PM BST

Have we all got our sitcom 'beer goggles' on or something?

Let's face facts: if this was a new sitcom, it would now be getting bashed worse than 'Coming of age' did!

There's an element of truth there. I've never heard of Coming of Age but I can see where he's coming from.

I thought it was okay. I think the best way of looking at it is the Phantom Menace of the Star Wars films. It would have been okay if the originals had never existed, but they did, and we are used to so much better.

Am I the only one who noticed that the ship has shrunk back to its orginal size?

I'm not going to watch the one tonight or Sunday but just watch the three in a row on Monday. I have a feeling that'll be better. Also, there's a behind the scenes documentary after part three too. I've read an online TV guide and the brief snippet they have given for part three sounds very interesting.

Quote: The Rook @ April 11 2009, 12:12 PM BST

Am I the only one who noticed that the ship has shrunk back to its orginal size?

How do you mean? I always prefered the look it had when it was a model; the fat ship, not the skinny computer generated one.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 11 2009, 12:16 PM BST

How do you mean? I always prefered the look it had when it was a model; the fat ship, not the skinny computer generated one.

You've just answered you own question!

I haven't watched series VIII for a while, but in that series wasn't it the long CGI version?

Quote: The Rook @ April 11 2009, 12:20 PM BST

You've just answered you own question!

I haven't watched series VIII for a while, but in that series wasn't it the long CGI version?

But, from what I noticed, it still looked thin and computer generated! I remember wishing they'd gone back to the original look as I watched last night!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 11 2009, 12:22 PM BST

But, from what I noticed, it still looked thin and computer generated! I remember wishing they'd gone back to the original look as I watched last night!

I've just checked on YouTube; the first shot you see of the ship is in its short and stubby form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MFZmJkghE

Quote: The Rook @ April 11 2009, 12:33 PM BST

I've just checked on YouTube; the first shot you see of the ship is in its short and stubby form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MFZmJkghE

Had a look, yeah it is kind of squat, but still doesn't look as fat and distended as originally. Better than what they had in eight though.

I missed it. I assume it's going to be repeated pretty soon?

Quote: chipolata @ April 11 2009, 12:37 PM BST

As above...

I'm not going to watch the one tonight or Sunday but just watch the three in a row on Monday. I have a feeling that'll be better. Also, there's a behind the scenes documentary after part three too. I've read an online TV guide and the brief snippet they have given for part three sounds very interesting.

It's like Star Wars - the models in the originals looked so much better than the sleek, shiny ones in the prequels. You believed in that old battered Dwarf, the CGI one I couldn't get attatched to at all, and that was part of the reason I couldn't get in to series 8.

Quote: chipolata @ April 11 2009, 12:37 PM BST

Monday, I think? I think they're showing all three parts in one go; which will probably work better as episode one was very clearly the first twenty minutes of a story, as opposed to an episode in its own right.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 11 2009, 12:36 PM BST

Had a look, yeah it is kind of squat, but still doesn't look as fat and distended as originally.

Maybe it's because it used to be 4:3 and now it's Widescreen?

Oh, and BREAKING NEWS:

Red Dwarf: Back to Earth WAS filmed in front of a studio audience!

They just didn't think it was funny either.