The Smiths Page 3

Quote: NickTheDon @ March 3 2009, 2:34 PM GMT

I'm listening to I Know It's Over now, why is it their best songs are always the ones that are the most depressing?!

Sheila Take A Bow is one of my favourites, not depressing at all! Throw your homework onto the fire!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 2 2009, 5:01 PM GMT

I like him beefy.

Meat Is Murder.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 3 2009, 2:59 PM GMT

Sheila Take A Bow is one of my favourites, not depressing at all! Throw your homework onto the fire!

Haha great song. I think This Charming Man is probably my favourite Smiths song actually, that's not depressing.

Morrissey and Marr were such an incredible partnership. They complimented eachother so perfectly.

F**king hell Hand In Glove is so good.

I haven't had a good listen to The Smiths in too long.

Johnny Marr over Morrissey every time

Morrissey on his own has done far more that I appreciate than Marr has since The Smiths split. Though I am looking forward to seeing how the Marr/Cribs collaboration turns out. I would say Marr is a great musician, Morrissey is an icon.

Quote: shaggy292 @ March 3 2009, 1:47 PM GMT

Definitely my least favourite Smiths album

Which is mine? Oh that's right all of them. Moaning whingey arse who looks like a stick with hair. And songs that razor blades and a warm bath were made for.

I'll tell you why you're so miserable now. Cos your a miserable git Morrisey.

Quote: roscoff @ March 3 2009, 11:01 PM GMT

Which is mine? Oh that's right all of them. Moaning whingey arse who looks like a stick with hair. And songs that razor blades and a warm bath were made for.

I'll tell you why you're so miserable now. Cos your a miserable git Morrisey.

*sighs*

For every downbeat track, there's two that are upbeat.

Musically The Smiths were NEVER miserable. That why they worked. Morrissey might have been lyrically macabre or miserable, but that was beautiful complimented by some amazing rolling chord sequences from Marr.

I can probably only think of a handful of their tracks that could be called 'miserable'.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 3 2009, 11:10 PM GMT

*sighs*

Musically The Smiths were NEVER miserable. That why they worked. Morrissey might have been lyrically macabre or miserable, but that was beautiful complimented by some amazing rolling chord sequences from Marr.

I can probably only think of a handful of their tracks that could be called 'miserable'.

All I read there was blurh blurh. Eh?

They were good - and Morrissey makes effortlessly good albums - but I would never count them in my top 10 bands.

Obviously I've been around a lot more than most of you - except maybe Roscoff but of course they have recorded with my stunning first love - the gorgeous Sandie shaw.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 3 2009, 11:35 PM GMT

my stunning first love - the gorgeous Sandie shaw.

That's a barefoot lie!

Without doubt the greatest band of the 1980s, arguably of all time. Certainly my favourites. Johnny Marr was insanely good.

Top 5 tracks:

1) Still Ill
2) The Queen is Dead
3) Jeane
4) The Headmaster Ritual
5) Death of a Disco Dancer

And countless others.

Quote: Boits @ March 4 2009, 12:20 AM GMT

Without doubt the greatest band of the 1980s, arguably of all time. Certainly my favourites. Johnny Marr was insanely good.

What about New Order?

Quote: Seefacts @ March 3 2009, 11:10 PM GMT

*sighs*

CORRECT.

Quote: Boits @ March 4 2009, 12:20 AM GMT

2) The Queen is Dead

4) The Headmaster Ritual
5) Death of a Disco Dancer

Three of my favourites! Queen Is Dead rocks!

"Girlfriend in a coma, I know, I know, it's really serious..."

"Some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers."

Genius! What's not to love? :)

And I don't think he was the depressing one - although some of his fans were!

Quite a fair few of their songs have depressing lyrics even if the music is quite upbeat. I'm not knocking them for it some of the sadder songs are my favourites (Unloveable, Still Ill, I Know It's Over, Asleep etc).

And only Morrissey could get away with singing "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera" over and over again.