Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 42

Yeah for a bunch of people writing quickfire one-liners we're massively long winded aren't we?

I'm very proud of the small contribution I've made to this show. I don't feel like I'm defending my work, just hopefully helping to give more context.

The one point I feel is worth repeating lies at the heart of what I believe to be most of the criticisms - we've become so used to 'real' TV ie shows without audiences, 'reality' shows, improvised dramas, that we're not used to the theatricality of the audience sitcom. I'm not asking the critics to like it, but just try and buy into that next time you watch the show.

Cheers
Dave

Quote: Anorak @ March 2 2009, 8:08 PM GMT

'Canned laughter' is a lazy cliche used by journalists who have never attended a live recording of a sitcom, to indicate that, because they personally found a joke unfunny, they assumed the laughter in the studio must have been added on. ie taken from 'the can', as in pre-recorded.

As anyone who has ever been to a live recording knows, the problem is invariably the other way round eg when something gets a huge laugh, if that huge laugh were kept it would make the show look even more artificial.

What often happens is that a scene may be recorded two or three times. By the second or third take, the audience already know what's coming so they won't laugh so spontaneously. And in that situation the most spontaneous sounding laugh will be used. ie a laugh that's already 'in the can'.

Dave Cohen

Perhaps when journalists deride "canned" laughter, they're just dissing the sound editing?

A few have picked up on the "canned laughter" comment. It wasn't supposed to be insulting – it was just the most concise way of referring to the audience laughter in the given context. I appreciate that the laughter track in NGO is from live recordings.

Quote: Quentin @ March 2 2009, 8:47 PM GMT

Both of these points are quite interesting, because, in my opinion they are totally unfounded. The latter comment regarding so few jokes coming from character is, I believe, incorrect. A large proportion of the jokes do come from character, it is just that they are told in a set up and pay off style and that is why I feel you think this. It is the style of humour the show has chosen to use, and of course it is not going to appeal to everyone, but, that is when we all have to be objective and realise that you can't please all of the people, all of the time. There is no sitcom out there that can claim to please one and all. Quite often the humour comes from the characters' faults such as Barbara being clumsy, Tim being a wimp, Daisy being a little dim etc. but it is humourised through the gags. There are plenty of shows out there that get humour from character, such as something like Gavin and Stacey, which I also enjoy. A show such as Gavin and Stacey tend to avoid your typical gag set up, as such, and rely heavily on the humour coming from the individual characters. It's successful at it's style, just as Not Going Out is successful at it's style. It would be interesting to see just how many of the gags are based on character, perhaps during tonights repeat. I would say that a large proportion are. A lot of the humour also comes from the relationships between the characters with each other-something I think is important in sitcom, well, it is for me anyway.

Ultimately it depends on what you consider character humour to be. Stupidity, clumsiness and whichever side of the north-south divide you fall on do not, to me, represent character complexities but comedic functions: conventional sources from which the writers can draw fodder for jokes.

Character comedy is Frasier and Niles laughing uproariously at a notably weak joke from a respected opera aficionado as Martin looks on in the background, shaking his head. (For example).

Such a scene is rife with dramatic irony, ulterior motives, idiosyncrasies and established traits and attitudes – above all else, it has empathy.

However strong a joke about Tim being a wimp may be, it will only ever work on its own merit. To Tim or his plight, we are emotionally detached, and so is the case with the rest of the NGO ensemble.

As for the criticism that any serious conversations between characters, such as Lee and Lucy, are awkward and out of place amongst the gag heavy other 25 minutes of the show, I fear you may be missing the point. Serious conversations are able to be soft and subtle as they stand out even more as the pace changes from the rest of the show. For me, it often leads to adding to the depth as it is more touching when the characters behave in a way we don't often see. It is, however, always nice to then see them revert back to their old selves, having not learnt anything and not changing. I remember a scene from last series between Lee and Lucy in which Lee is pretending to chat Lucy up. After a few gags, Lee then turns serious resulting in a truely touching moment between the two characters only then to return to the gags. It's these twists and turns that I think add to the humour.

You suggest I'm missing the point because serious situations are made softer and more subtle by vividly contrasting the jaunty comedy that elsewhere takes precedence. I don't believe that's the case. To me, the effect is the opposite.

Only Fools and Horses could be as touching as it was funny because the serious bits weren't "bits" at all – rather natural progressions of plot and character; climactic points where already established relationships and stories would culminate as fluidly and eloquently as the big comic set-piece.

When it comes time in NGO for the wit and farce to subside; for the characters to feel vulnerable and act like normal human beings, it jars. It feels crowbarred in, as if they felt it was time for a bit of depth. Yet we barely know these people beyond a few shallow characteristics. With so little dramatic build-up, such scenes, however well written, inevitably fail to evoke what they should.

It baffles me as to how anyone could find the serious segments dramatically heightened when juxtaposed with the character-sacrificing, quick fire comedy they stand against. Nor do I feel it any form of writing triumph, as Aaron suggested, that I should be instilled with the same awkwardness the characters might be wrestling with on-screen. I shouldn't be cringing through scenes of such importance. I should care.

Quote: Mav42 @ March 3 2009, 3:56 AM GMT

EDIT
It baffles me.

Mav are you doing a media studies course?

A few have picked up on the "canned laughter" comment. It wasn't supposed to be insulting – it was just the most concise way of referring to the audience laughter in the given context. I appreciate that the laughter track in NGO is from live recordings.

Just wanted you to know that my picking up on the comment wasn't aimed solely at you - canned laughter is a phrase I've seen quite a lot on these boards recently and it has often been used in a derogatory way. :)

Nor do I feel it any form of writing triumph, as Aaron suggested, that I should be instilled with the same awkwardness the characters might be wrestling with on-screen. I shouldn't be cringing through scenes of such importance. I should care.

Says who? I enjoy cringing at awkwardness. That's why I like Extras so much.

Quote: Mav42 @ March 2 2009, 7:28 PM GMT

. The trouble with such an approach is that when a joke falls flat – as, inevitably, will happen in any comedy, for any viewer – there is nothing to keep the audience smiling: no warmth of character; no interesting setting; no funny style.

Although I generally do like NGO, I think there is a lot of truth in this comment. The plotting and characterisation on the show aren't as strong as I would like and maybe more time should have been spent on this rather than just writing endless gags. The fact that none of the 3 leads are the greatest actors in the world IMO may contribute to the style as well of course.

Ultimately it depends on what you consider character humour to be. Stupidity, clumsiness and whichever side of the north-south divide you fall on do not, to me, represent character complexities but comedic functions: conventional sources from which the writers can draw fodder for jokes.

That reads like you're saying that if something has been used before, or is deemed to be some kind of cliché, then it is no longer a valid character trait/feature/'complexity'. I trust that that isn't what you actually mean.

Quote: Marc P @ March 3 2009, 8:06 AM GMT

Mav are you doing a media studies course?

Low blow, Marc.

Quote: Mav42 @ March 2 2009, 7:28 PM GMT

I picked the first four comedies that sprang to mind that probably would've been written with the same mantra: laugh-a-minute, joke-a-line, etc etc. I was under the impression that it was with that ethos that NGO first came about. It was a purely attitude-based comparison. I appreciate that, as finished products, Police Squad and NGO are entirely different programmes (even though some jokes wouldn't look out of place in either).

(Short paragraphs ahead:)

Still an odious comparison, I feel. You can do anything in a cartoon, or a parody - in other words, create a gag using the most surreal set-up imaginable. Even a sitcom as "unrealistic" as NGO has to operate within certain strictures of logic. (The time it takes us to thrash out the storylines, which goes on for days, is testament to that, I promise you.)

It's a joke-driven comedy. Frasier is a character/drama-driven comedy. Frasier has a lot more depth. A lot more subtlety.

Frasier's principal characters are highbrow, and much of the dialogue between them is rooted in highbrow subject matter - and the pomposity that goes with it. This pitches the action at a higher level. Some of the sibling rivalry is almost Shakespearian or Biblical. It's brilliant, but sometimes quite heavy.

NGO never aimed to be like that. Lee's blueprint, if any, was Everybody Loves Raymond, about ordinary, good-hearted but not exactly opera-loving folk. (I'm not saying it's as good as Raymond - nor, I'm sure, would Lee - but it was a useful starting point for us when coming up with the first series.)

I'm not sure we've written a piece that stands up to a lot of media studies-style cross-examination. Beyond the fact that the title has two meanings, it's not deep.

Everybody Loves Raymond is shite. I can assure you Not Going Out is a lot better. :)

Quote: chipolata @ March 3 2009, 10:31 AM GMT

Low blow, Marc.

If I said GCSE in media studies it would have been a low blow!

Maybe.

:D

Quote: Andrew Collins @ March 3 2009, 11:54 AM GMT

(Short paragraphs ahead:)

Still an odious comparison, I feel. You can do anything in a cartoon, or a parody - in other words, create a gag using the most surreal set-up imaginable. Even a sitcom as "unrealistic" as NGO has to operate within certain strictures of logic. (The time it takes us to thrash out the storylines, which goes on for days, is testament to that, I promise you.)

It's a joke-driven comedy. Frasier is a character/drama-driven comedy. Frasier has a lot more depth. A lot more subtlety.

Frasier's principal characters are highbrow, and much of the dialogue between them is rooted in highbrow subject matter - and the pomposity that goes with it. This pitches the action at a higher level. Some of the sibling rivalry is almost Shakespearian or Biblical. It's brilliant, but sometimes quite heavy.

NGO never aimed to be like that. Lee's blueprint, if any, was Everybody Loves Raymond, about ordinary, good-hearted but not exactly opera-loving folk. (I'm not saying it's as good as Raymond - nor, I'm sure, would Lee - but it was a useful starting point for us when coming up with the first series.)

I'm not sure we've written a piece that stands up to a lot of media studies-style cross-examination. Beyond the fact that the title has two meanings, it's not deep.

Some of the responses made to the show remind me of a chap down the road who week after week buys an apple from the greengrocer then complains they don't taste as good as a banana. He is from Norfolk but that is really no excuse.

Character comedy is Frasier and Niles laughing uproariously at a notably weak joke from a respected opera aficionado as Martin looks on in the background, shaking his head. (For example).

Such a scene is rife with dramatic irony, ulterior motives, idiosyncrasies and established traits and attitudes – above all else, it has empathy.

However strong a joke about Tim being a wimp may be, it will only ever work on its own merit. To Tim or his plight, we are emotionally detached, and so is the case with the rest of the NGO ensemble.

You suggest I'm missing the point because serious situations are made softer and more subtle by vividly contrasting the jaunty comedy that elsewhere takes precedence. I don't believe that's the case. To me, the effect is the opposite.

Only Fools and Horses could be as touching as it was funny because the serious bits weren't "bits" at all – rather natural progressions of plot and character; climactic points where already established relationships and stories would culminate as fluidly and eloquently as the big comic set-piece.

When it comes time in NGO for the wit and farce to subside; for the characters to feel vulnerable and act like normal human beings, it jars. It feels crowbarred in, as if they felt it was time for a bit of depth. Yet we barely know these people beyond a few shallow characteristics. With so little dramatic build-up, such scenes, however well written, inevitably fail to evoke what they should.

It baffles me as to how anyone could find the serious segments dramatically heightened when juxtaposed with the character-sacrificing, quick fire comedy they stand against. Nor do I feel it any form of writing triumph, as Aaron suggested, that I should be instilled with the same awkwardness the characters might be wrestling with on-screen. I shouldn't be cringing through scenes of such importance. I should care.

F**k me.

Jesus f**king Christ. Rolling eyes

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 3 2009, 1:56 PM GMT

F**k me.

Indeed - everybody is guilty of gross over-simplification.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 3 2009, 1:56 PM GMT

F**k me.

Yes, and written at 4 in the morning!

Quote: Anorak @ March 2 2009, 1:21 PM GMT

What I'm picking up most from the doubters is the lack of 'reality'. We're all so used to the single camera sitcom now that we've forgotten how much we always used to allow the audience sitcom to get away with.

Yes. Absolutely spot-on.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 3 2009, 2:00 PM GMT

Yes, and written at 4 in the morning!

Talk about putting the "anal" into "analysing". Sorry Mav42, you're obviously very into your comedy but that post REEKS of comedy snobbery.