Can the Americans really do comedy? Page 10

Quote: Leevil @ July 22, 2007, 10:02 PM

There's that quick wit, I love it. It cracks me up every time ;)

yokes on you
shoud come out your shell more when people ruffle you feathers

Now you're talking the piss.

Ha, Columbo and Colonel Henry are obviously the same person or maybe brothers sat at the same computer, they both post just seconds after each other.

They should probably be banned though because they keep derailing threads and making it about them/him/her, lack of attention or something along those lines.

So are we agreed then? Americans CAN'T do comedy?

:D You little winder-upper you. American's CAN do comedy, but some Brits don't understand good American comedy. :) All in favour say I.

I think what's being answered is, 'Do you like American Comedy?'

Can the Americans do comedy? Does the Pope shit in the woods?

Sorry - I was just trying to get the thread back on track.

It had gone a tad off on a tangent.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ July 22, 2007, 10:56 PM

Ha, Columbo and Colonel Henry are obviously the same person or maybe brothers sat at the same computer, they both post just seconds after each other.

Yes I agree. Obvious eh!

Or one could be bent over typing while the other tells him what to say while rammming him from behind.

Calm down guys & stop being mean to Leevil. He has said nothing to warrant it.
Also he is a Mod.

Either play nice or f**k off
This place is going to the fooking dogs.
Edit that if its swearing.

As I have said about 4 times on this thread, virtually, if not all, the great comedy in America comes from the New York Jewish community.

Totally different over here isn't it. The only jewish comedians I can think of in UK are David Baddiel, Maureen Lipman, Bob Monkhouse and ofcourse Mike and Bernie Winters....Was Ernie Wise Jewish ?.

As a person with a tad jewish in them (Yes the nose ok) I have to agree.

Larry David is hillarious. Woody Allen can be. There was also this stand up comic but I cant place his name.

Was his first name Adolf?

Steven Wright ...Great stand up and as far as I know as jewish as Matzah.

Great Steven Wright quotes.

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.

Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

If you tell a joke in the forest, but nobody laughs, was it a joke?

Quote: charlie @ March 25, 2007, 9:14 PM

I've been contemplating this for a while.
It seems that a lot of the 'new' American comedies are re-hashes of British ones. For example, The Office, Coupling etc.
I personally cannot see why they just do not broadcast the British versions of them instead of, in my opinion, slaughtering them to fit an American mold.

Can anyone enlighten me?

The point is that the Americans work on an entirely different structure. When they took One Foot in the Grave, they didn't like the fact Victor was unemployed. They didn't like Brent to be so...desperate. They didn't like Basil Fawlty being so overtly snobbish (and indeed male).

You have to remember that they are so much more celebrity driven than we are. Plus they have teams of writers who actually get support as opposed to the customary interference in the UK. They have so many demographics to meet they have to broaden a lot of things. Which is why you see HBO as a much higher standard generally than NBC, CBS, ABC or FOX. Because those have a larger affiliate base, they have to present things which would please each affliate, whereas HBO, being subscriber based is much more aware that they have to please their viewers, rather than the oiks who run regional stations.

Also, for every Seinfeld, Will & Grace or Daily show, there are many, many shows which are made which we, nor the majority of Americans ever see. It's not their hit rate is higher, it's that there's more stuff being made and binned.

However, I would be very surprised if some of the coffee machine gunk we have here ever gets made in Botswana, let alone the States.

Talking about Jewish comedians and not mentioning Lenny Bruce or Sarah Silverman? Everyone gets detention. Gentiles can be funny aswell e.g. Bill Hicks

Quote: Kent Pete @ July 23, 2007, 12:12 AM

Was Ernie Wise Jewish ?.

Well his surname was in fact Wiseman, so it's quite possible I guess. Hadn't really though about it, to be honest. Whether he was practicing or just genealogically Jewish is another matter, of course.