Can the Americans really do comedy?

I've been contemplating this for a while.
It seems that a lot of the 'new' American comedies are re-hashes of British ones. For example, The Office, Coupling etc.
I personally cannot see why they just do not broadcast the British versions of them instead of, in my opinion, slaughtering them to fit an American mold.

Can anyone enlighten me?

It just shows the differences between us really - "2 countries separated by a common language".

I think the main problem is relating the different lifestyles - highschools, cheerleaders, etc. The ones I like best are the ones where basically they take the p out of themselves.

I agree. Things like Curb Your Enthusiasm where they don't care what prats they make out of themselves.

It just irritates me when I've always epitomised American sitcom into one word: 'Friends'

I think the idea of actually being funny has now appealed to programme makers and so they've gone to the masters for inspiration.

Yes Friends totally turns me off. I refuse to watch it. I'm currently watching SouthnPark - much more sophisticated.

The American public are too obtuse to accept other cultures.

That, basically, is it.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 25, 2007, 9:26 PM

Yes Friends totally turns me off. I refuse to watch it. I'm currently watching SouthnPark - much more sophisticated.

For some reason I've never got around to watch South Park. I think the reason for it is that the way it is animated. Are they aware that not everyone faces at right-angles in real-life? I've never seen a character in South Park drawn at 45 degrees.

That's part of what makes it so funny, it's so unbelievable that those shoddily put together characters come out with such filth!

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 25, 2007, 9:52 PM

For some reason I've never got around to watch South Park.

Ditto.

One sucessful remake, it's not really that vast of a catologue is it?

And don't say Teachers was a remake because it hardly was, it had the same theme running through and it was in front of a studio audience.

we tried to do curb and we got Lead Balloon, case closed

But we also tried to do Friends and got Coupling.

Then we sold coupling to America, pocketed the money, and it died on its arse. Maybe we are cleverer than Americans.

The only comparison i found between Friends and Coupling was that it had 6 characters, 3 male and 3 female.

But then again i loved Coupling, Steve Moffat is a genius writer.

Quote: ajp29 @ March 26, 2007, 10:56 AM

Then we sold coupling to America, pocketed the money, and it died on its arse. Maybe we are cleverer than Americans.

Undoubtedly. ;)

Quote: hotzappa11 @ March 26, 2007, 10:56 AM

The only comparison i found between Friends and Coupling was that it had 6 characters, 3 male and 3 female.

But then again i loved Coupling, Steve Moffat is a genius writer.

How about the coffee place (Friends) and bar (Coupling) being the main places of action?

The American version of The Office is actually really good, some episodes better than the British version to be honest.

I don't think we're in any opinion to judge American sitcoms at the moment seen as we seem to be in the same comedy lull period. At least America have got The Sarah Silverman Programme, South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The New Adventures Of Old Christine, It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia, Reno 911! and then over in Canada they've got Trailer Park Boys and Corner Gas.

What have we got? Peep Show and thats about it.

Quote: ajp29 @ March 26, 2007, 2:22 AM

we tried to do curb and we got Lead Balloon, case closed

So true, we also tried to do Larry Sanders we got Annually Retentive. Then Gervais tried to do Seinfeld Season 4 and we got Extras Series 2.