Can the Americans really do comedy? Page 8

Quote: Luke Messimer @ July 19, 2007, 6:34 AM

Also, you only make 6 episodes a season (usually). We do 22+.

Quality rather than quantity!

However, a lot of our shows have both, which is always a good combination.

A 6-show series is much better to keep track of than a 22+ show season. And cheaper to produce. And cheaper to buy. And easier to download. ;)

Quote: Luke Messimer @ July 19, 2007, 8:12 AM

However, a lot of our shows have both, which is always a good combination.

Yeah that's true. With a lot of British series, mainly modern ones I'm talking about they tend to drop in quality in the second series too, it seems we can't keep a good thing going for long anymore. Whereas with American series they seem to start off slightly patchy but then become great over time.

It 'cos American sitcom can keep renewing its writers, whereas British sitcom normally has 1 or 2, so that's quite a lot of pressure on them.

Quote: Leevil @ July 19, 2007, 11:36 AM

It 'cos American sitcom can keep renewing its writers, whereas British sitcom normally has 1 or 2, so that's quite a lot of pressure on them.

Yeah very true, I think that's something British sitcoms should do more, take for example Seinfeld, started off with just Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David and then after a couple of seasons they hired other writers but they were still very much in charge and made sure the scripts kept to the format and idea they had created. That's exactly what British sitcom writers should do, get a couple of series under your belt and then start bringing in new writers and mould them, for some reason I just can't ever see Gervais and Merchant doing that or even Bain and Armstrong.

Well, they did it on My Family of course. Yes, there've been some dud episodes (often with the same writer(s) credited...), but on the whole I think it kept up the same standard throughout. Whether that standard was to one's personal taste or not is of course an entirely different matter. (Basically what I'm saying here is, it worked for My Family but there were a couple of writers/teams who arguably weren't quite up to the task.)

Erm, Hang on a minute was this not discussed on a previous thread, the one which the big girls don't cry moderator (well apparently they do well he did anyway and somewhat profusely) closed? Learning to read would be a great advantage in life, and something I would heartily recommend!

Quote: charlie @ March 25, 2007, 9:14 PM

I've been contemplating this for a while.
It seems that a lot of the 'new' American comedies are re-hashes of British ones. For example, The Office, Coupling etc.
I personally cannot see why they just do not broadcast the British versions of them instead of, in my opinion, slaughtering them to fit an American mold.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Talk about rehashing old British comedies, he's rehashing old posts that were on last week, jumping on a popular thread, the one last week upset the high and mighty because people did'nt agree with American shite being forced down the throats of British viewers, and the fact they can'produce anything of real Quality in-comparison to the British

There's no rule against discussing things twice.

you must be a sad person if you can't come up with a new topic, and try and get kudos from someone elses post, get a life.

This isn't a new topic. It was started in March.

Quote: Lt Colonel Henry Blake @ July 20, 2007, 8:21 PM

you must be a sad person if you can't come up with a new topic, and try and get kudos from someone elses post, get a life.

And you must be a sad person if you think that a new thread means "kudos", as you imply. There's no point in making a new thread to say something if it can go in one that already exists.

Quote: Aaron @ July 20, 2007, 8:32 PM

And you must be a sad person if you think that a new thread means "kudos", as you imply. There's no point in making a new thread to say something if it can go in one that already exists.

Erm, so why earlier in the thread did you imply that it was okay to start another thread the same as previously open thread - to discuss exactly the same things/content? Do you know what cogent means? Or paradox? Try looking them up in a dictionary, or get mummy or big sister to help you!

Moron, learn to read young man instead of watching cheap American DVDs try reading about comedy instead, well reading anything would help - maybe start with cereal boxes and work your way up to bread bags (*some people* no wonder 14 million adults have below entry level literacy skills in the UK today)

Quote: Aaron @ July 19, 2007, 11:31 PM

There's no rule against discussing things twice.

know but they should be a rule about you mixing with the genral public