Copyrighting Page 2

I'm sure that I read, or was told by someone in the know, that the "post it to yourself" method had been discredited as legal proof.

Unfortunately I didn't print out that advice and post it to myself, so can't confirm 100%.

I sent a letter to Gok Wan last October suggesting he do a programme about fashionable clothing for disabled people/wheelchair users.
I didn't get a reply but today I read in a magazine that he is going to do just that. I don't suppose that is a copyright issue but I am a bit miffed that I didn't even get a reply.

Quote: SlagA @ December 21 2006, 7:41 PM GMT

I know we briefly touched on this in another thread. What methods do you all use for establishing proof of copyright? I tend to mail and email scripts to myself and friends. Is this enough?

I've never actually bothered to do anything! Who the hell would even want to steal my stuff? :D

Quote: Mark @ December 22 2006, 10:55 AM GMT

ajp29 - it's very easy to forge computer / email times (just alter your clock and try saving something) - that wouldn't suffice.

I'm not a computer expert or anything but trying it on my work PC here running Word 2003 it only works until you put your clock on the computer back to normal. Then you end up with a file showing the correct creation date/time but the fake Date Last Saved date/time.

Quote: sootyj @ January 28 2009, 7:53 PM GMT

Aparently that's a duffer, as they can say you posted an empty envelope.

Yep – it's one of those common fallacies. If you send a script recorded delivery the only thing you have evidence of is when the envelope was delivered – the contents could have been inserted afterwards and it won't carry any weight in court.

Sorry if someone's already mentioned this but the Writers Guild have a couple of links. Writers Guild of America (East), Writers Guild of America (West) and Scriptvault will register your work. As far as I understand it, there is more of a need to register in the States because you need to have done so in order to get both punitive and compensatory damages when your copyright has been infringed. I may well be wrong about that, it's based on hearsay.

http://www.writersguild.org.uk/public/011_FAQs/index.html

I used to put tape on the flap (envelope, people, envelope) and insist the post-mistress time stamp the tape and flap to show that the tape had been sealed on the envelope at time of posting, as had the flap. But I don't bother now.