You're a writer? Really? Page 6

Quote: David Chapman @ November 22 2008, 2:12 PM GMT

People say to me "well everyone writes". And then you explain and say that you haven't really had a lot of success yet - and you start to wonder why you mentioned it in the first place.

I dunno - I don't think it's wise for people to say they're writers unless they've had stuff published in some form. My mate reckons his girlfriend's a "writer", when in fact she's a lazy dole bum who has started about 14 novels and abandoned each one after about the fifth chapter.

It's like someone asking me what I do and replying that I'm a musician. I AM a musician but I don't get paid for it, so I can't really lay claim that that's "what I do".

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 21 2008, 2:56 PM GMT

Get the FHM desktop calendar and then its a Top 365.

I feel I've shared too much.

1 per day per wank for a year. Of course that's assuming I only "Love myself" once a day...

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 21 2008, 2:56 PM GMT

Get the FHM desktop calendar and then its a Top 365.

I feel I've shared too much.

1 per day per wank for a year. Of course that's assuming I only "Love myself" once a day...

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 22 2008, 2:39 PM GMT

I dunno - I don't think it's wise for people to say they're writers unless they've had stuff published in some form. My mate reckons his girlfriend's a "writer", when in fact she's a lazy dole bum who has started about 14 novels and abandoned each one after about the fifth chapter.

It's like someone asking me what I do and replying that I'm a musician. I AM a musician but I don't get paid for it, so I can't really lay claim that that's "what I do".

I'm only talking hobbywise. I have a WONDERFUL job that keeps me occupied the rest of the time.

I never shut up about my writing.

I generally only tell people what they need to know.

Most of the people I know don't need to know I'm a writer, so they don't know.

I don't think of myself as a writer anyway, I think of myself as a 'creative' as I also write music, paint, draw, etc. etc.

That's what I think about when I'm on the bins..

Teary

Haveyoueverfoundadeadbodyinthebins?

Found? Placed.

You'll get a fine for improper waste disposal.

Far better to stick it in a binbag round the back of the Kebab shop.

They'll just add it to Lee's sketch.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 22 2008, 5:07 PM GMT

I generally only tell people what they need to know.

Most of the people I know don't need to know I'm a writer, so they don't know.

I don't think of myself as a writer anyway, I think of myself as a 'creative' as I also write music, paint, draw, etc. etc.

That's what I think about when I'm on the bins..

Teary

/Agree

Most of the people I tell think it's pretty interesting, until they ask me what I actually want to do with my life, and I say "writing and performing" and the response will invariably be the vaguely condescending "well, it's fine as a hobby, but obviously you really need a proper career as well".

Which is annoying, mostly because it's true. And because I don't have a 'career', and have few prospects of achieving one that I won't despise on sight.

Quote: Cherries Jubilee @ November 22 2008, 5:50 PM GMT

"well, it's fine as a hobby, but obviously you really need a proper career as well".

You been talking to my Dad?

There's a delightful intro to one of Stephen Kings collections of short stories. A mate of his tried to convince him he would have made more money as a plumber.

At the end of Wildman Blues Woody Allans' parents give him crap for not becoming an orthodonist.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 22 2008, 5:53 PM GMT

You been talking to my Dad?

And here's me thinking it was a my Dad original quote! I think my old man and your old man should get together and go bowling. (There's always time for a Breakfast Club line)

Where's your lunch?

You're wearing it.

Why does Brian get to stand up? If he stands up, we all stand up... it'll be anarchy!