What's the best book you've read about writing?

I love to read about writing and writers and my shelves are packed with dog-eared books on the subject scrounged from charity shops.

I know some writers consider reading about writing to be somewhat self-indulgent, a viewpoint I can understand even if it's not my own.

However, if you do enjoy reading books about writing and writers, what's your favourite book on the subject?

It might be an introductory "How to Write" book like Screenwriting For Dummies or an industry bible like Robert McKee's Story. A memoir like William Goldman's Adventures In The Screen Trade or possibly a biography of a famous writer. A scholarly tome like The Seven Basic Plots or a book about the creation of a particular TV show like Russell T.Davies's The Writer's Tale. It could be about anything from poetry (Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Travelled) to comic books (Alan Moore's Writing For Comics) to stand-up comedy (Tony Allen's Attitude) to English grammar (Lynne Truss's Eats Shoots And Leaves). Or a mixture of advice and biography like Stephen King's On Writing. It could even be a novel about a writer like Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys. I'll even allow books not directly concerned with writing such as David Mamet's On Directing Film if they are obviously written from a writer's perspective.

I don't find it easy to choose a favourite, but I think I'm going to go for this one:

It's one of those books where light-bulbs kept flashing in my head as I turned each page, and even though it's aimed at theatre writing, I would think it is quite helpful for anyone trying to structure anything longer than a one-line gag.

How about you?

(I can see this thread being very hazardous to my bank balance...)

Oooh, I love that one, Griff! (Stuart Spencer's)

I have an unread copy of Novel Writing by Evan Marshall on my shelf which is supposed to be very good.

Best comedy one was The comic Toolbox by Vorhaus

I think Story is a good book to read because it goes into more detail than you can possibly imagine. Therefore you can strip away all the stuff you like but still have something to fall back on.

If you want a shorter, more formulaic book then Save The Cat by Blake Snyder is at the other end of the spectrum. That's just to learn how to write screenplay. Writer's Journey by Vogel was also quite interesting.

On writing, I liked Stephen King's Writing and 'Bird by Bird' by Lamott.

The Devil's guide to Hollywood, has tons of useful advice to make it as a writer in Hollywood and loads of entertaining stories about all the Hollywood lore.

Trust me it's fantastic. It might not be a book strictly about writing but just information you need to arm yourself to deal with people when writing and selling scripts in Hollywood. It is a very witty book.

It's written by the guy that brought you 'Basic Instinct' and 'Showgirls'. Don't turn your nose up at that, this guy knows his stuff, he also walked away with some of the biggest pay cheques in hollywood history; 5 million for writing 5 pages on a film outline (and they didn't even use it).

It also has lots of useful tips on writing that you would never think of.

There's a book called "Conversations with my Agent", by a sitcom writer working in LA (Rob Long). Not so much about the craft of writing as being paid to be a writer and never getting anything actually made. It's very funny and horrific.

I read a book in the last year or so called "Writing comedy" by John Byrne which wasn't bad. Also the Pythons biography which was a good read.

Thanks for posting this thread, was wondering what writing books to buy among the shitloads that get produced.

I've only read "How To Be A Sitcom Writer by Marc Blake" but it was very good.

I just read 'The Writers Tale' By Russell T Davies about writing Doctor Who; and though it's not one of those 'how to' books, it is a fascinating and revealing look at the life of a writer. I've peeked at a couple of the 'how to' books, but they're not really for me.

McKee's "Story" was and still is the most tedious book (or half of one) I've ever read.

A good "how to" book was Steve Wetton's "Writing TV Scripts". I thought it was easy to follow and full of sensible tips. In the book he says how he wrote "Growing Pains" in the nineties...but looking on IMDB it appears he only wrote one episode. Does that qualify you to write an entire book about scriptwriting? Dunno.

I went to school with a Steve Wetton, although I doubt it's the same one as you mention as he would've been about 13 at the time.

I've read McKee's book. When you think he is about to be clever about writing he gets a bit up his own arse and turns into a gobshite. Then you find out that he says something that goes against some of the points he made in the first place. He totally loves the sound of his own voice in his head.

But you have to read it so that you are able to argue around his points.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 18 2008, 2:27 AM BST

McKee's "Story" was and still is the most tedious book (or half of one) I've ever read.

I'd like to know how many writers with Story on their shelves ever actually finished it. You can count me as one that didn't.

Unsurprisingly "The Writer's Tale" by Russell T Davies. I have read lots and lots of "self-help" writing books and I can honestly say I've learned far more about being a writer from this book than the rest put together. If you read the reviews, you'll see how many critics agree. It helps with the technical side of writing (I've picked up on a couple of bad habits I didn't even realise I had), but it also gives you an insight into what writing is all about. What you have to go through to succeed and how hard it is once you make it. It's also incredibly frank and funny. In my opinion, every writer/aspiring writer should read this book. I've switched to writing more drama now (slipping in comedy where I can), and this book has been invaluable to me.

Otherwise, John Byrne's "Writing Comedy" is my next favourite. Very informative and covers all comedy writing genres. It's also well laid out, so you can easily find your way back to a particular subject.

"The Screenwriter's Bible" is also a great technical book which covers things like V.O, O.O.V, O.S, cuts, fades, phone calls, inserts and everything else besides. Another book every writer should own.