Baby Cow 2

Well, baby cow got back to me after reading my entire script. They "enjoyed" it, and would like to see synopses of more episodes, but recommended that I changed one of my main characters.

Just to keep you filled in.

Well done, sounds like its coming along well with them

Quote: Sam Caine @ June 21, 2007, 5:39 PM

Well, baby cow...recommended that I change one of my main characters.

So on the one hand they have been very encouraging, "enjoyed" it and want to see more, but....they want you to change a main character: Wouldn't doing so basically ruin the scripts and arc you've already written? I mean, characters in a sitcom are each a chemical unto themselves...I wonder if changing the character will ruin the chemistry you had...

Did they justify why they want that character changed? Or is that a preposterous thing to ask? Did they tell you what kind of character they want? And if so, would you please tell us what that is and what the original was?

But it's probably par for the course, them wanting changes like that, yea?

Still, well done that you've made it this far. Lots of hard work put into it, no doubt.

Please know that the above questions are not rhetorical. Cheers.

Actually, I think he had a valid point. I'm changing the character now, and I already much prefer it. I've changed him in a way to enhance the story, rather than change it.

Oh, and the origal character was a deliberately mundane office worker, provoked by the death of his mother and changes at work. The change I made was I diagnosed him with OCD and germaphobia, making the changes to his routine crushing, which gives his actions more motive.

that's excellent news. well done. part of the process of becoming a writer is to show that you have the flexibility and professionalism to see beyond your original idea and make necessary changes which may improve your overall script. its a very hard thing to do but it looks like you are able to. it is something which Baby Cow will appreciate and stands you in good stead. Good luck with it.

Thanks, it's getting to the point now where my grim pessimism is becoming sunny optimism.

Yeah excellent news Sam... Not that I would know but if they like the changes and enjoy your synopsis of your other episodes they may "option" you, this means you would be paid to write more episodes basically.

(sorry if I sound patronising by telling you that)

Being paid sounds good, I'm currently working full time for Powergen, and I absolutely hate it. Any excuse to walk out would be welcomed with open arms.

How much do writers usually get paid for this kind of thing?

Quote: Sam Caine @ June 21, 2007, 6:58 PM

How much do writers usually get paid for this kind of thing?

That's the question we're all thinking of course.

And not answering, unfortunately.

errr to be optioned I'm not certain, I know it varies with, how excited they are with your project and how much of a budget they have... could be a few hundred an episode, but you would be given deadlines ect... if you actually get a pilot that's when you start earning thousands.

And being optioned means you can't show off your script to any other production companies, you may be asked to sign a contract

I don't have a problem with doing that to be honest. As long as there's interest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/932148.stm

"While Jerry Seinfeld was commanding $5m (3.5m) a show, here the average writing fee is £6,000-£7,000 for a 30-minute script."

That's for My Family. Interesting. I'd imagine an optioned writer would get a lot less, and a Simon Nye, John Sullivan, Graham Linehan would get a lot more.

Incidentally, two scripts for My Family is what I get paid per year in the 'events biz' as people call it. The monetary equivalent I mean - I don't get two poor quality pieces of writing as my pay.

I'd love to know how much the American's get paid. I do believe it's a LOT more. Maybe that's a factor, because as the saying goes - you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Haha.

To be honest I'd love to be optioned. Good money is fantastic, but to be writing and earning from it is a good start.

Very well done Sam!

Good luck with your next phase and hope to see it on t'box soon

B