Importance of a plot

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I was wondering about the importance of storyline/plot.

I'm currently working on something at the moment that seems to be taking me ages, but I really like and am so far very happy with. It's a kind of continuing sitcom. I'm happy with the characters and the dialogue, however not a lot really happens.

Personally I don't have a problem with this in comedy. I'd rather spend half hour with The Royle Family, than some convoluted Terry & June plot, but what's the general attitude - particularly of producers - to work like this. It's not that nothing happens at all, only there's no beginning, middle and end with a twist/conclusion with everything going back to normal. In fact the characters grow, learn and change throughout. But in my script events that happen are pretty trivial; there's no misunderstanding to be resolved, etc.

It is worth continuing with as it is, or shall I try and crow bar some sort of bigger story in? Btw, there is a story over all the episodes.

You need to write something that gives the reader no excuse to not like it.

And a plot is important. If it got some interest, I bet you'd have to give it a plot.

If it doesn't feel right for the type of show it is, don't try to shoehorn a big plot in. Any plot has to grow organically out of the characters, otherwise it'll feel false and tacked on.

I disagree that the Royle Family doesn't have plots (I don't think DD was saying this, but a lot of people do). They are very low key, but they are there and very carefully worked out. The characters do have goals and objectives. Jim is trying to get someone to make him a cup of tea, or scrounge some money to go down the Feathers. Denise is trying to get Dave to look after Baby David yet again so she can go on the razz with Beverley Macker. These threads keep resurfacing throughout each episode with tiny twists and turns. And it's great.

The real problem is when you get a totally plotless sitcom which is nothing but banter. I've read a few of these, I can't think of any TV shows I would accuse of this. I think producers rightly reject these when they see them.

Quote: Griff @ October 8 2008, 3:23 PM BST

The real problem is when you get a totally plotless sitcom which is nothing but banter. I've read a few of these, I can't think of any TV shows I would accuse of this.

Question time?

@DD - the main thing to remember is that you are telling a story with a beginning middle and end. That is all the plot you need to worry about.
What's the story? As Griff says it doesn't have to be very big at all but that's what hooks the readers. We are all still cavemen gathering round the fireplace listening to the Shaman after all.

The situation basically concerns diverse characters of a local community who are brought together. It's about how they interact with each other and includes flashbacks of the main character's previous dealings with some of the others. It's a little bit like watching a docu-soap (though it's certainly not a spoof) and there are some minor 'plots' (on the scale Griff was referring to in the Royle Family). For example someone tells a white lie to get out of a situation, which then later backfires on them and escalates. The bigger plots (romances, resolutions, etc) happen over the episodes.

The plan was to have a different person as the main character in each epsisode (with corresponding flashbacks), but following a timeline, so different characters' perspectives are seen but not simultaneously.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 8 2008, 4:09 PM BST

The plan was to have a different person as the main character in each epsisode (with corresponding flashbacks), but following a timeline, so different characters' perspectives are seen but not simultaneously.

Sounds a bit like a Lost.

My sitcoms never have plots and look where they are now... in critique somewhere...

Quote: chipolata @ October 8 2008, 4:21 PM BST

Sounds a bit like a Lost.

But not as confusing.

I never watched Lost, apart from odd 5 mins. I didn't like the idea that the writers didn't know what was going to happen either and so it was all sort of made up as it went along.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 8 2008, 4:31 PM BST

But not as confusing.

I never watched Lost, apart from odd 5 mins. I didn't like the idea that the writers didn't know what was going to happen either and so it was all sort of made up as it went along.

Just like my sitcoms and look where they are now... in the future... yeah.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 8 2008, 4:31 PM BST

But not as confusing.

Lost is excellent. And surprisingly funny.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 8 2008, 3:22 PM BST

You need to write something that gives the reader no excuse to not like it.

And a plot is important. If it got some interest, I bet you'd have to give it a plot.

Sadly I think you're probably right. But I'll give it a go anyway.

This format seems to be very trendy these days.
I'm working on a drama that does exactly the same thing, i.e. follows a timeline, has a continuing plot, but each episode has back stories of the different characters, presented in flashbacks - and their actions bear significance on their destinys in the present day.

I think for YOURS to work, it needs to have a continuing plot going through it as well as the flashbacks. The back stories are great for getting to know characters and the "human interest" element, but the continuing plot is needed to tempt viewers to watch each week to "see what happens."

Oh, and Lost is forkin' amaaaaaazing. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 8 2008, 5:55 PM BST

Sadly I think you're probably right. But I'll give it a go anyway.

DD I think you are confusing plot with intricate storyline. The Grand old Duke of York has a plot. It doesn't have an intricate storyline. And you could write a novel on it.

Quote: Marc P @ October 8 2008, 8:00 PM BST

DD I think you are confusing plot with intricate storyline. The Grand old Duke of York has a plot. It doesn't have an intricate storyline.

Exactly; there has to be a story of some sort, but people get the word plot mixed up with something complicated and tricky. It can be that, sure, but it doesn't have to be. But there does have to be a story, otherwise it's a collection of charater quirks rattling around for thirty minutes.