Bernard Manning Page 2

Oh, well, thats all right then; Manning was great, I take it all back. What a lovely racist moron he was, and what bastards people are for going and pointing it out on TV and making the poor mindless fool look bad.I came back. You pulled me back in. But this really will be my last post about this.

Nobody forced you to post in the first place.

The bottom line is, as I said at the top of the thread, that he was successful and funny enough to have a 50 year career. As he died today that's what I think people should focus upon and if you can't then why bother to criticise the dead?

Quote: zooo @ June 18, 2007, 6:57 PM

TWO THREADS?
TWOOOOOO?

Whyyyy.

*Makes two threads about Hitler and how nice he was to puppies*

*edit*
Oh I see, he died today. I truly thought he was already dead...?

Rolling eyes

I hate to see anyone die, even if I disagree with them. I won't be drawn into the debate but, yes, I'm sorry to hear he's died (as a person, not the comic.)

If i remember correctly, paint shops sold "nigger brown" in those days. So it was the time, it was his generation. Obviously, he was someone daring enough to speak out what, let's make no bones about it, MANY people agree with. That said, i am not sad he is dead, because i really didn't like the man. I met him once and he is almost exactly the same off the stage as he is on.

Quote: SlagA @ June 18, 2007, 7:48 PM

I hate to see anyone die,

I'm afraid it happens to most of us - apart from Aaron perhaps!

Quote: David Chapman @ June 18, 2007, 7:57 PM

I'm afraid it happens to most of us - apart from Aaron perhaps!

Mwhahahhaa

I think it's a real shame that someone who was obviously a very good gagsmith, and was well versed in the art of constructing jokes, chose to make so many with obvious minority victims.

Maybe he should have stuck to singing.

Nice pants, though.

Nice pants indeed.

I also remember his appearance on the Entertainers TV series a few years ago when they showed him completely naked. An image that, no matter how hard I try, I'll probably never be able to shake from my mind.

So no more turkey drummers then?

Quote: Nick @ June 18, 2007, 7:39 PM

Nobody forced you to post in the first place.

The bottom line is, as I said at the top of the thread, that he was successful and funny enough to have a 50 year career. As he died today that's what I think people should focus upon and if you can't then why bother to criticise the dead?

Your argument is fallacious. The length of his career is irrelevant.
Saddam Hussein had a lengthy, successful career as Iraqi dictator.
Stalin had a decent run.
When someone dies, it's fair to look at every aspect of their lives.
On the day of my father's funeral, my Aunt Moira was perfectly blunt in her opinion that he had stiffed her out of half the cost of a george foreman grill they'd agreed to buy my gran. I gave her the cash and didn't ask her to focus on his 32 years in the parks department.

:D Brilliant Alan! Laughing out loud

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 18, 2007, 10:54 PM

Your argument is fallacious. The length of his career is irrelevant.
Saddam Hussein had a lengthy, successful career as Iraqi dictator.
Stalin had a decent run.
When someone dies, it's fair to look at every aspect of their lives.
On the day of my father's funeral, my Aunt Moira was perfectly blunt in her opinion that he had stiffed her out of half the cost of a george foreman grill they'd agreed to buy my gran. I gave her the cash and didn't ask her to focus on his 32 years in the parks department.

Laughing out loud

The only problem is though that Bernard Manning wasn't a dictator. People voluntarily paid to watch him for the last 50 years, Channel 4 voluntarily made him one of their 'Heroes of Comedy', they will also very soon show a tribute to him voluntarily, people voluntarily voted him the 29th greatest stand-up comedian of all time recently etc. Not too bad considering some of the comments that have been written on here about his supposed lack of talent.

Also why solely focus on somebody's decision to tell racist jokes?

If it's fair to look at evervy aspect of their lives then why aren't people talking about the vast amounts of charity work that he did? that he was a devoted husband? that he cared for his mother until her death?

Would a person who didn't tell racist jokes but also treated their family and other people like crap really be a better person?

It's an interesting moral debate.

When someone dies people always look at them in a different light - usually with candles.

But when Alex Ferguson dies (please make it soon) I'll never change my opinion that he was a humourless, arrogant, rude, bad-loser, cheating NASTY piece of work. And a Scot!

Although i agree with that list, you'd still have to admit that he's been the best manager of his generation or at least as good as any.