Bernard Manning

Rather than focus on the race issue, I'd like to say that Manning was a genuinely funny comedian, in my opinion, even if his material did appear outdated later on in his career. He was unfortunate in some ways to be singled out by the media when there were and are many other comics from his era who tell exactly the same type of jokes.

I hope that the tributes that will follow his death will not just focus on one aspect of his work but will instead try to look at what saw him establish such a long and successful career.

Personally I feel indifference at best, grim joy at worst - it might sound like an undeserving level of animosity towards a bad comic, but as well as a bad comedian he was a vile, hateful man who didn't even have the balls to defend his racist beliefs, "it's just a joke! No one takes a joke seriously!" I'm not saying that I'm glad he's dead but I won't be mourning him.

There's already one thread about this person. I'd say one's more than enough.
:)

Was he really a bad comedian? A career that spanned several decades and saw him dubbed one of Britain's 'Heroes of Comedy' would suggest not.

How do you know he was a hateful man and how do you know he had hateful beliefs? The truth is that he made one appearance on the Mrs Merton Show and suddenly the media decided to get their knives out. Now I'm not saying that I like all of the material that he did by any stretch of the imagination but as I said above, dozens of other comedians from his era were doing it but they never got media attention.

Just because it was more acceptable to be a complete biggot when he started doesn't justify it.

Quote: Nick @ June 18, 2007, 6:12 PM

Rather than focus on the race issue, I'd like to say that Manning was a genuinely funny comedian, in my opinion, even if his material did appear outdated later on in his career. He was unfortunate in some ways to be singled out by the media when there were and are many other comics from his era who tell exactly the same type of jokes.

I hope that the tributes that will follow his death will not just focus on one aspect of his work but will instead try to look at what saw him establish such a long and successful career.

Here, here! Well said Nick.

Think what you will about the man, but he was an highly successful comedian who knew his audience (no comments about who they may be, please Rolling eyes) and made a huge success of himself.

You have to judge people on the era that they grew up in. Agatha Christie wrote a book call 'Ten Little Niggers'. Enid Blyton wrote about Coon Island. Does that mean that they were both bigots? As I've said, I don't like al of his material at all but he is from a completely different generation. Caroline Aherne admitted that when he appeared on her show, the audience due to their age agreed with what he said. Does that mean that most old people are bigots?

Here's a word from somebody who actually knew him:

'I spoke to Bernard a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how hard he was still working. Countless charities will miss Bernard's generosity. The comedy circuit will miss him greatly and I know for a fact that he used his life in comedy to help those less fortunate. He was a good friend and will be greatly missed.

Sir Cyril Smith MBE'

TWO THREADS?
TWOOOOOO?

Whyyyy.

*Makes two threads about Hitler and how nice he was to puppies*

*edit*
Oh I see, he died today. I truly thought he was already dead...?

Surely you need to go onto fascistdictator.co.uk to do that.

The reason why there are 2 threads is that one was started months ago and the new one is intended to commemorate his death in a small way.

He was a vile racist, plain and simple, and wether or not he once also told the odd decent joke doesnt push that fact aside. The fact that someone like him could once have pursued a succesful career should make us all thankful that society has moved on a tad.

People like him still pursue successful careers if you hadn't noticed.

Shouldn't be allowed!

*signs up to that fascist website*

Not to the same extent and not so blatantly. He was unrepentant about his disgusting beliefs and I dont understand why anyone would want to defend him. Thats all Im going to say on the matter as Ive just wasted several minutes of my life even thinking about the idiot.

See, that's what I should have said.

Yes they have and yes they do. On a recent documentary Roy Chubby Brown confessed that he thought that he and Manning were exactly the same. The only difference that I can see is that Caroline Aherne and Panorama decided to knife Manning and nobody has done that to other comedians because it would be old news.