The Silent Cancer

Hi there,

Been very busy recently and haven't had much of a chance to do 'comedy' work. This is one of the reasons, a feature-length documentary that I've written and produced:

http://www.thesilentcancer.com

It's in post-production right now but I've just launched the website and would appreciate anyone wishing to take a look and to spread the word.

Best wishes to all of you (even you Leevil!),

Stuart

Woo hoo! General Discussion thread 2,000!

Erm. Yeah. I had a little look at the site. Yeah.

Nice website but OH MAN you should really phase out that dead line tone a lot sooner it was painful to the ears...or I could just be overly sensitive from my cold.

Quote: Stuart Laws @ October 2 2008, 11:45 PM BST

(even you Leevil!)

What did I do? Huh?

A good friend of mine (and a classmate throughout my schooling) is suffering from pancreatic cancer. Doctors have not been overly positive, and she's been given some experimental treatments in an attempt to save her life. She's 19. So thanks, Stu, for producing this documentary. It's an exceptional effort, and I look foward to seeing it when it is complete.

Oh yea, I'm gonna rush to view something about cancer! Yippeeee!

"The Silent Cancer"...
And which cancers are loud & obnoxious?

I'd change the title to something more appealing & fun:

"Bon Voyage, Mr Pancreas!"

"So Long, and Thanks for the Insulin"

"Cancer, Chemo, and the Downhill Slide"

"Cancer Flavoured Ice Cream with a Chemo Cherry on Top!"

"Look Ma, the Cancer Spores!"

"Meet the Cancers"

"Say Hello to my Little Friends"

Or sumptin' like that...

I did not click the link as it is quite silly to view or read about that which I have no interest in.

Focus on the ugly and it just gets uglier. It's not education, it's propaganda for the misuse of imagination: Preparing yourself to be ill.

In this world, you better laugh at what is popularly feared or else you'll end up one of "them". Take the piss out of everything; the more sacred & feared, the better.

"When you listen to fools, the mob rules."

And if you have cancer, smoke some weed and your optimism will cure you, right?....

Focus on the ugly and it just gets uglier. It's not education, it's propaganda for the misuse of imagination: Preparing yourself to be ill.

That's right Skib, it's definitely best for everybody not to know anything about cancer. Great idea. You idiot.

Quote: Skibbington von Skubber @ October 3 2008, 12:24 PM BST

"When you listen to fools, the mob rules."

Good Advice I'll start by not listening to you...

Stuart, Nice little site, very swish.

I will take a proper look when I start lunch.

I reckon Skibbington's remarks would offend a lot of people who actually have to live with an illness this destructive.

Quote: Tommy Power @ October 3 2008, 4:46 AM BST

A good friend of mine (and a classmate throughout my schooling) is suffering from pancreatic cancer. Doctors have not been overly positive, and she's been given some experimental treatments in an attempt to save her life. She's 19. So thanks, Stu, for producing this documentary. It's an exceptional effort, and I look foward to seeing it when it is complete.

That is extremely saddening. Commiserations & best wishes to your friend and to you. To get pancreatic cancer at the age of 19 is not only extremely unusual, but also tragically unfair. It is one of those cancers, unfortunately, that clinically presents very late and treatment is limited, I won't quote you the survival rates (which are thoroughly depressing, though I hope have improves somewhat since I was at medical school). Wishing your friend every comfort & happiness she can have. Experimental treatments are worth going for in this situation and, though statistics in medicine are actually pretty much spot-on, being so young for this disease may hopefully count in her favour. I suppose in this situation, despite the odds, you've got to look at your situation as a n=1 study. All the best.

I did not click the link as it is quite silly to view or read about that which I have no interest in.

Strange to be quite the obnoxious commentator then.

Quote: Tommy Power @ October 3 2008, 1:56 PM BST

I reckon Skibbington's remarks would offend a lot of people who actually have to live with an illness this destructive.

My stepdad had cancer but stayed at home with us until the near end. The morning of his death I watched speechless as the ambulance men from St Mary's Hospice strapped him into a wheelchair and he was taken out of our house screaming in pain. Half an hour later my mother rang home from the hospital to say it was all over. The Hospice had kindly provided us with a bed that was assembled in the living room. The pillow still had the indent of his head so I started to dismantle the bed. I did this to try and ease my mother's pain when she came back home, the sight of his warm bed that is. It's all I could think of to do at the time.

This is not something I would wish anyone else to go through. So yes, I did find skibber's remarks somewhat less than caring.

Def.

Quote: Tommy Power @ October 3 2008, 1:56 PM BST

I reckon Skibbington's remarks would offend a lot of people who actually have to live with an illness this destructive. half a brain cell.

You're such a f**king liar.

And you want to know how I know that (apart from the bleedin' obvious)?

There was no mention of the pancreas in Stuart's original post...

"Bon Voyage, Mr Pancreas!"

You brainless c**t.

I think we should all be careful when posting a reply on a serious thread. A form of self-censorship is appropriate in this situation. If you can't resist the temptation to make tasteless jokes on such subjects, count to ten, and move away from the thread and post elsewhere. Tasteless humour is fine where it is appropriate. I think this thread is not one of them.

By the way, congratulations on the documentary, Stuart.