Should the Simpsons call it a day Page 3

It may be not a sharp as it used to be, but it's still miles better than most new telly.

I think the problem is it's good, and better than most stuff on the idiot box.

It just can't live up to it's glory days in the 1980s.

It lost that crucial slice of real drama, and became quite shallow.

The last episode I really enjoyed was the one where Bart mooned the flag.

I didn't see the show until September '95 (although I used to play the arcade game all the time, four years earlier, in '91), when I first got access to sky, round at a mate's house. The episeodes that were being shown around that time were just awe-inspiring, speaking from a writer's point of view. You could see it's influence in almost every other comedy that was on T.V. back then, as you stll can, in many of today's shows.

I think the point is that everyone knows that The Simpsons will never probably reach the heights that it did its "glory seasons", when every episode was took comedy (not just its own brand) to new heights.

It needs to stop at some point, yet I don't think it's in a "Jumping The Shark" state. It still attracts great new animators and writers.

I will say that I don't seek out new episodes in the way I would in the 90's. I think that perhaps now we are all Simpsons, the irony begins to wane, the satirical element becomes too obvious and The Simpsons is forced to become at heart a simple cartoon. As opposed to what used-to-be more real-life than real-life.

To be fair i never go out of my way to watch the Simpsons, but, if im at a loose end (or the remote is not within 2ft of my hand) i will happily watch and i will ALWAYS find it amusing (and usually think that i should watch more). I guess that part of the attraction is that i havent seen every episode ever made!
I was really looking forward to the movie and even went to the cinema to see it - theres 2 hours of my life i'll never get back - and to be perfectly honest i think you could have put ANY 4 random episodes together and they would have been more entertaining than the film

Hi Trio, welcome to the site. Juuust a quick thing though. Please do use capitals and punctuation correctly. You've done a lot better than many people, but it does help things be much more easily readable.

(You can have a look at point 9 here for a little clarification, should you so wish.)

Homer Simpson tries to vote for Obama

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ

Watched a new simpsons. Bart steals Denis Leary's mobile....ye...ok...in body it's the Simpsons but not in spirit.

BBC 2, 6pm, the entire family gathered around the telebox with meals on trays. Them were the days when it was new and fresh, when you would spit out a mouth full of Angel Delight from laughing so hard. Thesedays when I put on the simpsons my first thought is either "Oh no, not this one again. I know it word for ruddy word." or alternatively "Oh a new one!" Followed later by "Well thats half an hour of my life I will never get back...".

In honesty I did enjoy the movie, it's not one I will watch again but I did like it.

The Simpsons attained perfection in between series 4-8, and it's steadily declined in quality ever since. It's still funny, but just not proper Simpsons funny...when you watch a proper Simpsons episode there really is nothing that can touch it.

The decline in its quality is only based against it's own cripplingly high standards that I expect of it. It's still miles funnier than Family Guy (ugh) anyway.