Thinking Aloud

Hello one and all. Glad to be here. Already learning a great deal.

This post in its original form is no more. The original was some sort of manic diatribe. Best forgotten.

Cheers!

Some great points there, Mr. Essayist.

On the subject of studio audiences/laughter, I suppose there is a kind of basic truth in your point, but the atmosphere is completely and utterly different to what we eventually see on TV, and these things do seem genuinely funny when you're there. Of course, there's a warmup guy/girl too, who'll keep things going if need be, and indeed relax the audience so that they're ready to laugh in the first place.

Hmmmm....

Maybe they should show us the warmup act on TV too.

That's quite a thought.

Whenever I think aloud, I get told to be quiet.

Quote: Leevil @ June 12, 2007, 5:45 PM

That's quite a thought.

Whenever I think aloud, I get told to be quiet.

Well, yeah. That goes without saying doesn't it... :)

And... er, Scabbington... or whatever your name is. Hello! Welcome to the forum. Trying too hard with your avatar name there, I feel. And we know what the result of trying too hard to be funny is...

You seem to have it nailed 'comedy' don't you? ;)

"Most comedy on television does not make me laugh.
It's genuinely not funny.

So if something doesn't make you laugh... it isn't funny?

I have concluded, after many years of thinking about it, that the studio audiences laugh as much as they do because they came to laugh and are waiting with baited breath to laugh at every intended "funny" moment/line. But they aren't actually amused. It's like a party or a gathering of people engaged in polite conversation: They laugh when they think they are supposed to. They are laughing out of politeness and not out of genuine amusement."

I don't laugh when I'm supposed to out of politeness or simply because I 'came to laugh'... what a weird statement. I laugh when and because I find something funny. I'm sure most other people are like that too. Just because they laugh when you don't doesn't mean something isn't funny.

It might, however, mean you need to look at your own sense of humour... :)

Apart from that... you have avoided 'text speak', your post appears to be correct in both spelling and grammar... and was a thoroughly good read.

Ta!

Quote: zooo @ June 12, 2007, 5:05 PM

Maybe they should show us the warmup act on TV too.

There's a reason why they don't, believe me.

At the shows I've seen filmed (which are few) they haven't had any warmups. I am curious! But would be disappointed, I'm sure.

Which shows have you had? It really depends on the format. For example, HIGNFY have one, but he only comes on like twice due to the rolling nature of the programme, so could easily just be a cameraman really. Ditto QI. On the other hand, something like Armstrong & Miller, or The Green Green Grass, have quite a bit of warmup. They can actually be quite good at times, but some are unspeakably bad.

A couple of random sitcoms and some sort of Harry Hill thing.

In fact, now I think about it, I think Harry Hill did his own warmup.

Random sitcoms eh? I've been to so many things now I can't remember them all. Pretty much every comedy genre going though.

There's a lot of sense there Skib. I agree about the characterisation and situations relating to them being funny and not just gag gag gag.

I'm tied up at the moment but I'm sure you'll find someone like minded here.

Good luck.

We don't want to know about your sexual deviancies, thanks David!

Quote: Aaron @ June 12, 2007, 11:41 PM

We don't want to know about your sexual deviancies, thanks David!

Why not???????? I'm sure Charley does.

Yeah, but she's insane.

Do you know what. A girl could get a complex round here. So far in the last 24 hours I have been called a sex maniac, a mado, a reiterator, had bad reviews for my last 2 sketches yardey yarder yar.
If I find where I put my complex back in 1983 I swear I am coming back to cry.

Its all true. Carry on Charleying.
Anymore for anymore.