Why are the Yanks funnier than us Brits? Page 2

American comedy funnier than British??? Oh My God! How could you say such a thing!

British Humour and American Humor are two separate things that run parrallel to each other and sometimes the two different paths cross and we get gems like Sanford & Son, Seinfeld and the early episodes of Frasier that both American and British audiences enjoy!

I am American and I've got to say...Brits...MUCH more funny.

All American humor relies on fart-jokes and refferences to the latest celebrity break-up and hook-up in Hollywood. *sigh*...America...we started off alright...now look where we are.

England, I envy you!

Bill Engvall is one of the few exceptions to the rules! If you haven't heard him before then I suggest you get hold of one of his audio CDs or standup DVDs.

Here's Your Sign!

;)

This thread has warmed my heart.

I'm sick and tired of people telling me how great American shows are – when you mention a good British one they haven't seen it.

Not comedy, but the last series of Murphy's Law was brilliantly made and deeper than the North Sea, but nobody watched it because they were watching some American drivel written by 50 people.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 10, 2007, 11:03 AM

This thread has warmed my heart.

I'm sick and tired of people telling me how great American shows are – when you mention a good British one they haven't seen it.

Not comedy, but the last series of Murphy's Law was brilliantly made and deeper than the North Sea, but nobody watched it because they were watching some American drivel written by 50 people.

Will you marry me Godot Taxis? :D I couldn't agree more about Murphy's Law - utterly captivating, nerve jangling drama. And, of course, there are plenty of good British comedies around today but, as has already been said it all depends on taste. I don't watch any US sitcoms at the moment because none of them appeal to me. The last I watched was Will and Grace which I quite enjoyed to begin with but became more and more hysterical - and not in a funny way.

But it's got James Nesbitt in?

Quote: Leevil @ June 10, 2007, 1:46 PM

But it's got James Nesbitt in?

And your point is?

Quote: Aaron @ April 19, 2007, 12:16 PM

What really gets me is that they could be caught by surprise more than 2 years into a major world-war. Idiots.

What exactly were you referring to here Aaron? Obviously a moment in history that I've missed.

Quote: Chiaroscuro @ June 10, 2007, 1:44 PM

Will you marry me Godot Taxis? :D

That's the third offer I've had this week. What is it about a good-looking, well-hung virtual cab driver that women find so attractive?

Quote: Nick @ June 10, 2007, 3:40 PM

What exactly were you referring to here Aaron? Obviously a moment in history that I've missed.

Do enlighten us...

Quote: NICK O'NEILL @ April 18, 2007, 10:43 PM

Hi Imamazed,

Hi David,

I admire your loyalty, but we have to concede that our mainstream comedy does not command the respect it once rightly had, we have far too much student oriented comedy that lacks broader appeal.

You're right there, I reckon. There are too many shows which are student oriented like Two Pints, for example. And that other one with ... I think it's Sheridan Smith from Two Pints (I've tried looking it up on here), where they frequented a coffee house and drank coffee and ate muffins, which looks so daft because it's obvious they're copying Americans. Nothing against the Yanks, but when the 18-25 demographic try it in Britian I almost feel nauseous! So I think they should stop trying to make a sitcom hip and stop trying to relate too much to teenagers (which I am, by the way) and do another kinds of sitcom. Like when did they last do a sitcom with two blokes like Only Fools or The Likely Lads? Brothers or mates. Something which doesn't try to relate to EVERY SINGLE PERSON like a family sitcom or friends sitcom does. Anyway, it's just a thought.

Quote: Dave @ June 10, 2007, 4:24 PM

Like when did they last do a sitcom with two blokes like Only Fools or The Likely Lads? Brothers or mates. Something which doesn't try to relate to EVERY SINGLE PERSON like a family sitcom or friends sitcom does. Anyway, it's just a thought.

Peep Show

Quote: Aaron @ June 10, 2007, 5:22 PM

Peep Show

All right, apart from that! The BBC certainly haven't done any.

I agree with the original poster, now anyway American comedies are just far better than the current comedy Britian is offering. It never used to be that way mind, Britian was the top dogs of comedy for a long time but now we have so much shit it is just depressing. And whoever said Ricky Gervais can act! Surely you are 'having a laugh'?

And I hate people who say "How can Americans be funnier...they made Friends!'......Friends is not the epitome of US comedy, although it is still a decent show which at least puts gags and jokes into the show rather than relying on 'awkward humour'. But yeah Friends is a mainstream show, think how many British mainstream comedies we don't like so picking out Friends as the 'be all and end all' of US comedy is stupid.

Seinfeld and Arrested Development right there two of the best sitcoms ever if not the best, saying Americans aren't funny is ridiculous. Long gone are the days of Python, Fawlty Towers, Porridge....we haven't even got Partridge anymore....Peep Show is about the only worthwhile British sitcom worth mentioning and maybe Ideal.

If America has more good shows than Britain then surely it's because America is a much, much bigger country and you would expect it to make more good shows.
Personally i haven't seen that many U.S. shows that i've enjoyed recently and some of the shows which other people have nominated (Frasier, Seinfeld etc.) finished years ago.

If it's possible to nominate shows from the last few years then I can think of dozens of British shows that I have liked. The Office, Extras, Royle Family, Early Doors, Phoenix Nights, Peep Show, Worst Week of my Life, Black Books, Marion and Geoff, Director's Commentary, Thick Of It, Trigger Happy TV etc. There may have been a dip in the last year or 2 but British comedy is still doing pretty well.