Spell Checker

Aaron Mark and Mods

What about an on-site spell check facility? Us lot here on critique in particular could do with it to stop us cutting and pasting back and forth.

Is it technically difficult or are there cost implications? I'm not techy so don't understand what might be involved.

Cheers

B

Switch to Firefox :) it has a built in spell checker that underlines badly spelled words in web forms. Otherwise I think it's quite tricky to do.

Quote: ShoePie @ June 10, 2007, 11:58 AM

Switch to Firefox :) it has a built in spell checker that underlines badly spelled words in web forms. Otherwise I think it's quite tricky to do.

You could download the Google toolbar, it has a spell checker that's very simpel to use and works reelly well. I use it all the tim.

Yes, I am in a silly mood. But the Google toolbar spell checker is good.

I have had something like this before (Google toolbar or something else) and my antivirus, I seem to remember, kept telling me it was spyware.

Don't know if that's right though.

If you use firefox it will import all your favourites over from internet explorer. It's also got better security and pop up blocking.

FIREFOX!!!!!!!

WOOOO!!

Etc.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ June 10, 2007, 2:11 PM

I have had something like this before (Google toolbar or something else) and my antivirus, I seem to remember, kept telling me it was spyware.

Don't know if that's right though.

My anti virus software's like an overprotective parent but it's OK with the Google toolbar.

I have Google Toolbar for IE. It's not considered to be Spyware (not by me anyway!). Your firewall might give you a warning if you enable PageRank but you can turn Pagerank off (It's the default).

To build a spell checker into the forum is a little hard (as we would need to store the whole dictionary online). However, as has been mentioned above, there are a fair few helpful browser extentions - Firefox's spell-checker or Google toolbar for Internet Explorer being the two most popular.

I may be just being thick on this one ... but how do people get ANY kind of formatting into forum posts ... even as simple as Bold, Underline, Tab recognition, Italics, and a few others (I'm not however concerned with full font changes). I've seen some posts containing the aforementioned but just can't figure how they're doing it. I frequently use off-line Word to produce posts ... but anything more than straight text always disappears when I paste it in here!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/info/help/bb_codes.shtml

Thanks Gavin ... just the ticket!

Sorry to sound like a c*nt, but what about learning to spell? It isn't hard, kids do it. :)

It's not always the inability to spell a word ... with me it's mostly typos from hitting the keys too fast ... and it's really difficult to proof read your own stuff I find, despite the number of times I read it through. I do find variations in UK and USA spelling a bloody nuisance though. I try to avoid the latter at all costs but my spelling checkers seem to prefer to default to the USA version.