Comedy Magazines

Can anyone recommend any good comedy magazines that are available out there somewhere?

I've just ordered the first two colour issues of Mustard magazine http://www.mustardweb.org/

and I was wondering if there are any other publications that cater to the comedy crowd?

I always thought there should be more mags available based on comedy alone. I even had a go at setting one up once but it never got off the ground.

Quote: Griff @ August 14 2008, 11:19 AM BST

There used to be one called Comedy Review but it bombed.

You didn't write for it, did you? :)

Quote: Griff @ August 14 2008, 11:24 AM BST

Nope. I fell out with Future Publishing when I sent them a spec article for one of their shitty magazines and they ran it without crediting or paying me. They are a bunch of c**ts and no mistake.

You've got to learn to try and get along with people, Griff. It makes life so much easier.

Ooo, cheeky bastards!

Anyhooo. I think this could be the BCG's next venture... *strokes chin thoughtfully*

Nope. I fell out with Future Publishing when I sent them a spec article for one of their shitty magazines and they ran it without crediting or paying me. They are a bunch of c**ts and no mistake.

I contacted SFX about doing some writing and they told me to clear off quite rudely. I'd stop reading it but it's the second best scifi magazine.

Arhceron were really nice and was almost going to do some writing for them when they went bust (damn you TSR).

Quote: Griff @ August 14 2008, 11:28 AM BST

Maybe you could write a thread on this explaining how it's done?
;)

Laughing out loud

Quote: Griff @ August 14 2008, 11:28 AM BST

Maybe you could write a thread on this explaining how it's done?
;)

I could but you useless f**kers would just attack me and ignore my brilliant advice. ;)

Anyway surely BCG has rendered all such magazines redundant?

Quote: Aaron @ August 14 2008, 11:26 AM BST

Ooo, cheeky bastards!

Anyhooo. I think this could be the BCG's next venture... *strokes chin thoughtfully*

I think thats a great idea. I'd be very interested in helping out and contributing to it
:)

I still have loads of material (Cartoons, Articles etc) from my attempt at getting a magazine made.

Quote: Griff @ August 14 2008, 11:33 AM BST

Deer SFX kan i rite a storie 4 u about peedofile spase monsterrs, fromm Sooty age 8 and a harf

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Funniest. Post. Ever.

Quote: sootyj @ August 14 2008, 11:29 AM BST

I'd stop reading it but it's the second best scifi magazine.

I'm intrigued as to what you consider to be number one. Surely not one of those rubbish ones that started up recently?

There are just not enough good mags around nowadays.

I still miss Oink

Dear f**king c**t,

I am an excellent writer and polymath. I also have a big knife and know where you live.

Yours faithfully

Griff (Reading home for socially maladjusted writers and furious musicians)

Quote: monkeybeard @ August 14 2008, 11:36 AM BST

I'm intrigued as to what you consider to be number one. Surely not one of those rubbish ones that started up recently?

There are just not enough good mags around nowadays.

I still miss Oink

Deathray it's by the original founder of SFX and it's ace.

Quote: sootyj @ August 14 2008, 11:37 AM BST

Deathray it's by the original founder of SFX and it's ace.

Have to agree to disagree there. I found it to be a confusing mess of a magazine when I tried it (second issue I think). Perhaps its got better with time and found its feet, but I just felt it was trying to cram far too much into it and some of the writing was beyond pretentious.

I was hoping you were going to mention one I hadn't heard of for me to seek out :)

Aah if it's for generic comedy Viz still holds it's own (the 30% that isn't shit is worth it).

This is my guide to life. I was going to put up the image of people injecting their naughty bits with saline, but I'm not a complete monster.

Quote: monkeybeard @ August 14 2008, 11:41 AM BST

:O

Have to agree to disagree there. I found it to be a confusing mess of a magazine when I tried it (second issue I think). Perhaps its got better with time and found its feet, but I just felt it was trying to cram far too much into it and some of the writing was beyond pretentious.

I was hoping you were going to mention one I hadn't heard of for me to seek out :)

Hmm Scifinow is awful, Deathray has found it's feet in my view it's far more literate. Had articles on HG Wells and Jules Vernes that were excelent and told me stuff I didn't know (including some stuff about Verne I won't write as Griff will only take the mick).

Some of the older Bizarre's covered alot of outsider writers like Edward Darger.

Otherwise everything else is a scream sheet for it's sponsor.

David Langford wrote an ace book column for Whitedwarf years ago, could for picking out second hand and out of print stuff.

Quote: sootyj @ August 14 2008, 11:48 AM BST

Hmm Scifinow is awful, Deathray has found it's feet in my view it's far more literate. Had articles on HG Wells and Jules Vernes that were excelent and told me stuff I didn't know.

Some of the older Bizarre's covered alot of outsider writers like Edward Darger.

Otherwise everything else is a scream sheet for it's sponsor.

David Langford wrote an ace book column for Whitedwarf years ago, could for picking out second hand and out of print stuff.

I agree about Scifinow, terrible mag. Perhaps I'll give Deathray another look when I pop into Borders later.