How Important Is The Writer? Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ May 30, 2007, 8:44 PM

My girlfriend will love you for that. (Well not literally.) She's an editor.

Really? I like their last album. Can she sign it for me?

Very droll.

Scum also rises had as good a cast as you could get but it got panned here because of the writing. The Office had no well-known actors when it started and it became a global hit so I still think it mostly depends on the writing.

Two words, Spinal Tap. Now how important is the writer again?

That film maybe improved. But I'm sure they follow some sort of plot, written by someone, even if it's not technically written down.

Yeah but writing 'the band memebers argue over stone henge prop' doesn't make it funny. All i'm saying is in things like Curb and David Guest's movies the writer is not important at all.

The characters, the plot, the scene directions are written in all these cases. All they did is improvise the dialogue, so I'd say the writer is quite important here too. They didn't just call 'action' and invent something. And how many examples can you have of improvised v written anyway?

Quote: ajp29 @ May 31, 2007, 4:12 PM

Yeah but writing 'the band memebers argue over stone henge prop' doesn't make it funny. All i'm saying is in things like Curb and David Guest's movies the writer is not important at all.

er.... aren't the improvisers writers anyway (even though they don't necessarily write it down)? It came out of their heads didn't it?

PS I'd love to see an improvised David Gest movie. Or maybe stick with Christopher.

:$

Quote: ContainsNuts @ May 31, 2007, 9:02 PM

All they did is improvise the dialogue,

Thats a pretty big chunk of the script isn't it?

Not that it matters but i do believe they work with a big outline. Judd Apatow who wrote 40 Year Old Virgin wrote an entire 120 page script, thought most of it was used he let them improvise off it.

Spinal Pap is on ITV4 tonight if anyone's interested. 11.55pm.

It's always on.

Quote: Badge @ May 31, 2007, 10:30 PM

Spinal Pap

Blasphomey

Quote: ajp29 @ May 31, 2007, 4:04 PM

Two words, Spinal Tap. Now how important is the writer again?

If Spinal Tap really has as little writing as you suggest, then very.

There's a couple of ST scripts on the net, thanks to google.