Why are studio sitcoms wanted? Page 5

*shakes fist*

Quote: Pete @ July 12 2008, 1:18 AM BST

One thing that i now realise (after seeing an audience show made) is the costs must be in another league to do single cam. Our show was dress rehersed, set built, film and (bar FX) done in a days work. I know theres editing etc, etc but the cost of a studio for a day must be tiny compared to a single cam show shoot over a longer period and often involving outside shooting/different locations.....although i wonder how single location single cam stuff compares - i.e The Office?

I'm confused! Why is there such a distinction between studio and location work these days? I love studio based sitcoms - I pretty much agree completely with what Aaron has been saying - but traditionally virtually all sitcoms were studio based, with separate location work done on film.

Why can't this be done again? So the de facto for a sitcom is a studio setting with the option of location work where it is editorially necessary (ie about 5-10 minutes for a 30 minute episode).
As a perfect example; One Foot in the Grave was a studio based sitcom aimed primarily at adults (but not really that unsuitable for children), it was fantastically well written and acted, the audience laughed only when something was actually funny (you can tell this as sometimes a few people would chuckle at something - probably people with a weird sense of humour), but they would regularly venture away from the studio - in fact I'm pretty sure there were at least two episodes made completely on film.

Let's do this again...