Black Books Rules! Page 7

Quote: roscoff @ July 16 2008, 10:23 PM BST

Ask anyone on here (you may have tried yourself) how much hastle it is to write one episode of quality stuff. Then multiply by six and times by three. To maintain high standards throughout all that is god damn hard.

Agreed, but then it's hardly as though he couldn't get some help. Am I wrong in seeming to recall that the majority of episodes were not in his sole name..?

It would have been nice to have had another series, but I'm far happier that they stopped while it was still pumping out the funny.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 17 2008, 10:42 AM BST

It would have been nice to have had another series, but I'm far happier that they stopped while it was still pumping out the funny.

Everyone seems to think that ANY fourth series would have fallen flat. I just don't follow the logic. People would have been happy with not seeing many of their favourite episodes from various sitcoms on this basis, I can only assume.

I dont think it definitely would have been rubbish, I'm sure it would have been great, but that in itself isn't a reason for the writer/star to make another series if their heart isn't in it. I love Spaced and I wish they'd done more, but they didn't, which is a pity but also tough!

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ July 17 2008, 10:47 AM BST

Everyone seems to think that ANY fourth series would have fallen flat.

I don't think that anyone's said that. The point being made is that the three which were produced were all great, and a fourth one MAY not have been. Of course one could have argued that about series 2, and then about series 3, and I'm sure some did, and were proved wrong (or right, depending on their viewpoint). However, there's still the risk, no matter on the eventual outcome if another series does progress.

It seems to be accepted wisdom that you should quit while you're ahead in sitcom. But I've heard some opinions to the contrary.

The Young Ones team quit after two series and then bitterly regretted it, apparently.

Also at the BAFTA talk I went to, the Peep Show team were very much of the opinion that they want to keep making the show as long as they can sustain the quality - "once you've got a working format, why not get the most out of it". They also cited the numbers of episodes typically created for hit US sitcoms. And made the fair point "who in history has ever written eight hit sitcoms ? you only ever get to do a couple, so why waste those opportunities ?"

I guess it's a gamble. John Cleese did was it 2 seasons of Fawlty Towers, and built his reputastion on it with out being type cast.

But there's plenty of people who only really did the one show.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ July 17 2008, 10:41 AM BST

Agreed, but then it's hardly as though he couldn't get some help. Am I wrong in seeming to recall that the majority of episodes were not in his sole name..?

You're right and in my opinion the episodes were better for it. The ones he wrote on his own I thought weren't as good. That may also throw up the difficulty of getting a team of writers together. But I loved the series and if quality was maintained great, bring on the fourth series but I am happy to leave that decision to the people who should know. The writers. And I know the fourth series of Blackadder was brilliant but I think they could almost start afresh because each series was a different era in history. This is a bookshop with three characters. Difficult me thinks.

Quote: Aaron @ July 17 2008, 11:02 AM BST

I don't think that anyone's said that. The point being made is that the three which were produced were all great, and a fourth one MAY not have been. Of course one could have argued that about series 2, and then about series 3, and I'm sure some did, and were proved wrong (or right, depending on their viewpoint). However, there's still the risk, no matter on the eventual outcome if another series does progress.

Sorry Aaron but you must surely realise you can't get away with that one.

It's an argument for not writing another EPISODE, let alone another series, once you've managed a single half hour's worth of entertainment.

The argument surely revolves around whether there is any comedic scope left in the basic idea/setting etc. If so, then you have to question why it doesn't happen... and then all kinds of factors like, as mentioned, 'not having his heart in it' or as I maintain, 'arrogance', come in.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ July 16 2008, 9:19 PM BST

I stick to my point. 'Black Books' was seriously cut off in its prime. It had oodles of mileage left in the concept and, even if others don't feel the same way, I for one think DM let his public down by throwing in the towel.

His public? Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ July 17 2008, 2:14 PM BST

Sorry Aaron but you must surely realise you can't get away with that one.

It's an argument for not writing another EPISODE, let alone another series, once you've managed a single half hour's worth of entertainment.

The argument surely revolves around whether there is any comedic scope left in the basic idea/setting etc. If so, then you have to question why it doesn't happen... and then all kinds of factors like, as mentioned, 'not having his heart in it' or as I maintain, 'arrogance', come in.

Arrogance is just an absolutely bizarre thing to accuse the writer of a show for, just because he doesn't want to do his show anymore! Really!! Perhaps there is endless mileage left in the concept, but he's under no obligation to do anymore! He obviously feels he's done the show now, and three series is a good run, and now, he wants to move on. I don't see how thats got anything to do with arrogance, just because fans would have liked to see more. It is an utterly bizarre conclusion; Moran just feels the show has run its course, its up to him, hes the writer/star. Really, please, how can it be seen as arrogant; I just dont get it. Is anyone, when a show ends that hasn't been flogged to death and could perhaps carry on, arrogant just because they decide to instead move on, just because a few fans want more? If you've left people wanting more, well, that's a pretty good place to be.

Despite being super sad in many ways after i watched the last episode of green wing, black books and spaced - i do think its better to leave your fans wanting more than drying up or burning out like a husk.

Mind you, what has Dylan Moran done since then of any worth? Give it a few more years of shit British films and Jolanta will get her wish and he'll be wheeling out Black Books for a few specials.

Quote: chipolata @ July 17 2008, 2:46 PM BST

Mind you, what has Dylan Moran done since then of any worth? Give it a few more years of shit British films and Jolanta will get her wish and he'll be wheeling out Black Books for a few specials.

Well, he seems to have gone back to what he was in the first place; a stand-up.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 17 2008, 2:51 PM BST

Well, he seems to have gone back to what he was in the first place; a stand-up.

He was also in that excorable film The Actors, with Michael Caine. And wasn't he in Run, Fatboy, Run?