Black Books Rules! Page 6

Quote: EllieJP @ July 15 2008, 2:57 PM BST

Northampton Uni. Media Studies...and before you give me grief, I worked my bloody arse off and got a good lot of experience, and now have a good job.

That's my hometown. What do you do now? *

*You may have told me before, I can't remember.

She works in the music industry.

(She's the office bitch.)

Black Books was great - it's a pity no more have been made. Although I suppose if they do then it will never be quite as good.

Quote: Katay8020 @ July 15 2008, 12:55 PM BST

I have just found black books and managed to watch the whole 3 series twice in 2 weeks!
I have the god damn song in my head too . . . Pardon me boy, is that the chatanuga choo choo . . . It will drive me insane but i dont care. I find Bernand Black a strangely eligible chap for marriage too . . .

I'm still catching up as a late starter.

So are you saying Chatanooga choo choo is in Black Books then?

Watch the 'Moo-ma and Moo-pa' episode.

Sam Kelly is a total legend :)

I've often thought that a successful sitcom is a bit of an ego trip for its leading lights and to me 'Black Books' is a good example of this.

It must be easily one of the most requested items as regards 'please do another series!' and yet DM will have none of it.

I consider him arrogant.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ July 16 2008, 9:03 PM BST

It must be easily one of the most requested items as regards 'please do another series!' and yet DM will have none of it.

I consider him arrogant.

Is it arrogant not to want to do another series??? He's done three, fans might want more but if his hearts not in it, then why should he? I don't think arrogance comes in to it; though he might very well be, who knows?

I consider him wise. Black Books is a good show, and very funny in places, but nothing special. Another series could be a real mistake if they can't make the scripts seriously top-notch.

Quote: Aaron @ July 16 2008, 9:12 PM BST

I consider him wise. Black Books is a good show, and very funny in places, but nothing special. Another series could be a real mistake if they can't make the scripts seriously top-notch.

... which, if you think about it, could be said about any new series of any sitcom.

I stick to my point. 'Black Books' was seriously cut off in its prime. It had oodles of mileage left in the concept and, even if others don't feel the same way, I for one think DM let his public down by throwing in the towel.

When I think of comparisons with some sitcoms which were flogged like the proverbial dead horses into umpteen series well beyond their sell-by dates, this is a crying shame, well and truly.

How many times have we bemoaned series that have gone on and on losing the quality episode by episode mainly because you've got tired writers bereft of ideas just grabbing the golden buck? Dylan Moran has got it dead right. He's got a really good body of work as it is. We have no right to tell him to make any more.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ July 16 2008, 9:03 PM BST

I've often thought that a successful sitcom is a bit of an ego trip for its leading lights and to me 'Black Books' is a good example of this.

I consider him arrogant.

Maybe he's just run out of ideas.

There is a limit to what you can do with characters and good writers understand it.

I got overdosed on Only Fools and Horses and can't watch it anymore.

That's just my point.

THREE series is some considerable distance from 'going on and on'.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ July 16 2008, 9:45 PM BST

That's just my point.

THREE series is some considerable distance from 'going on and on'.

Ask anyone on here (you may have tried yourself) how much hastle it is to write one episode of quality stuff. Then multiply by six and times by three. To maintain high standards throughout all that is god damn hard.

Speaking of arrogant...

Quote: zooo @ July 16 2008, 11:00 PM BST

Speaking of arrogant...

Why is that arrogant? Please explain in words of one syllable or less.