Roman's Empire BBC2 12/04/07 21.30 Page 6

Quote: chipolata @ May 9, 2007, 10:05 AM

As I predicted back in April, ratings are going downhill fast and there's not a chance in a hell of a second series. If there are any BBC executives reading this, you could save a lot of time and money by just asking me directly if somethings going to work or not. I'll even offer this service free of charge.

Thank god your not making the decisions others wise we wouldn’t have Dads Army Only Fools or Blackadder all of whom struggled with ratings when they first started as well as getting panned by the critics, even one the greatest sitcom of all time Porridge was greeted with a luke warm reception when it first aired.

I thinks it a goer and look forward to the second series if and when it get commissioned. Maybe the best new sitcom this year.(so far)

Good point Barry...

And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't 'The Good Life' struggle with ratings on its first showing too? Look how great that turned out to be.

This obsession with 'instant hits' is false economy... I've heard that new movies released out of Hollywood have to perform in their first weekend... otherwise they're deemed a failure. Crazy!

Look Darren, are you being brave with your Avatar because Charley's half way round the world?

Quote: hotzappa11 @ May 8, 2007, 11:06 AM

*shakes fist at you for saying TRT was crap*

No, I said I *thought* it was crap. Maybe it wasn't.

Roman's Empire is, however, crap.

Quote: David Chapman @ May 9, 2007, 8:30 PM

Look Darren, are you being brave with your Avatar because Charley's half way round the world?

LOL! Mayyybeee...

I'll exchange it for something 'softer' when she gets back... :P

Chicken.

It's so, SO odd - but I still love it. Brilliant episode tonight. Might not be laugh-a-minute TV, but still very good.

I thought tonight was great, maybe one of the best episodes. Kelly Pretty makes me want to do naughty things. :D

I also loved her delivery when the guy in the threatre makes a wang-shaped Zebra...

"It's like i'm at the zoo."

Chris O'Dowd was great again. "I'm a Jew and so's my wife, but she's dressed as Muslim and we're here to get our baby baptised by you Anglicans." (I think that's right.)

Quote: David Chapman @ May 10, 2007, 5:55 PM

Chicken.

Who, me? SQUAWKKK!

Quote: Aaron @ May 10, 2007, 10:01 PM

It's so, SO odd - but I still love it. Brilliant episode tonight. Might not be laugh-a-minute TV, but still very good.

Totally agree. It isn't laugh a minute but I'm not worried about that. It's just so compelling.

It can trot along as it is without any complaints from me. The only thing that I'd like to see happen is for Leo to get a spine. He has to win at some point doesn't he?

Quote: hotzappa11 @ May 10, 2007, 10:12 PM

I thought tonight was great, maybe one of the best episodes. Kelly Pretty makes me want to do naughty things. :D

Err... yeah, I've found that out about myself too. I still reckon it's the stripy tights... I guess I have some weird form of Goth fetishism, or something.

It definitely is a grower. It's the weirdness and style I think.

No - it's not terribly funny but absorbing.

I'm quite enjoying it, quirky and unusual. Certainly one of the better shows on at the moment.

This thread makes me cry a little bit for the sake of British Comedy, it just shows how bad the state of comedy is, when people are classing this as the 'best British sitcom of the year so far'.

Instead of watching this, why not buy or download a couple of series of Arrested Development and see it be done 10x wittier, smarter and all round superior.

For example:

Arrested Development:

(After Tobias joins The Blue Man Group)
Tobias: I just blue myself.
Michael: There's got to be a better way to say that.

Roman's Empire (do you get it, he's called Roman and he owns an empire and it's the same as the Roman Empire, from history, haha...):

Seb: I had to blow them all off, one by one.
Leo: Seb, there are many ways which you could've said that differently.

--

It's so obvious the writers for this show are sat watching AD while writing Roman's Empire.

I've seen this and Gavin and Stacy and can't work out if the guy with the classes is a really good actor acting badly or a really bad actor not acting

Quote: Martin Holmes @ May 13, 2007, 6:06 PM

Roman's Empire (do you get it, he's called Roman and he owns an empire and it's the same as the Roman Empire, from history, haha)

Arrested Development (do you get it, they're a building firm and the CEO is arrested)

Rolling eyes

Arrested Development is a smart title though because it works on lots of levels, yes they're a model home development firm and the owner gets arrested, but then it's also about the kids of this family (Michael, Gob, Buster, Gob and Lynsey) not truly growing up due to their parents and their parents business..hence Arrested Development.

Much smarter than, he's called Roman he owns an Empire..hey presto. :)