Filthy, Rich And Catflap Page 2

I love Filthy, Rich & Catflap. I wish they'd made the second series. It had a great deal going for it, though Nigel Planers character was a bit on the sidelines. It was just glorious watching them satirise the light entertainment showbiz set that they despised. (it was a bit panto and perhaps a bit rough around the edges but I prefer it to Bottom. (except the Gas episode of course!)

Quote: catskillz @ June 7 2008, 6:36 PM BST

That Comic Strip film, in which Rik and Ade were the lead characters, was also pretty bad. You know, the one with Nicholas Parsons and Peter Cook? I watched it a few months back, and for the first time, I found myself getting annoyed by their constant shouting. I suppose they thought it was alternative and anachistic, back in the '80s, but now it's just seems boring.

"Anachistic"??? I think someone was distracting me when I typed that. Obviously, I meant to type the word anarchic.

I watched this at the time, then got the videos and watched it again several times a few years later. I really enjoyed the series. It was certainly better than the first series of Bottom and I think that FR&C woulc have improved given another couple of series to get into it.

The episode with all the dead milkmen was brilliant. And the whole scene with Midge Ure was inspired.

Filthy, Rich, and Catflap is my favorite Edmonson/Mayall show.

How many milkmen need to be killed before you people find a show awsome, seriously?

"Extra! Extra! I'm an Extra!"

COME ON!

By far, the best from Rik and Ade imo. It does take some views. But it's the one series from Rik and Ade I'll watch regularly.

Why do so many people on here dislike The Young Ones?! It's one of my favourite sitcoms!

It's dated badly.

Well I guess in look it has. That's for sure.

The references maybe haven't dated that well, either. However, I do get the references and I'm not sure if I was even born when the 1st series aired.

Quote: Aaron @ June 20 2008, 10:43 PM BST

It's dated badly.

To be honest I think there was an element of the Emperor's new clothes at the time.

Quote: Timbo @ June 21 2008, 12:39 AM BST

To be honest I think there was an element of the Emperor's new clothes at the time.

Yes I remember that episode ;)

Quote: Aaron @ June 20 2008, 10:43 PM BST

It's dated badly.

What? Angry

Quote: Timbo @ June 21 2008, 12:39 AM BST

WHAT?!? Pirate Pirate

Bollocks!

The young ones is still pretty wonderfull. It hasn't dated as much as everyones gotten drunk or stoned and watched it too many times to find it fresh anymore.

The longer I go without watching it the funnier it gets each time.

It skipped between sit-com, sketch show, and variety show, and wasn't affraid to explore sureal concepts and absurdities others wouldn't touch. Mighty Boosh is the first show to do that again in a long time and, personally, I love it.

Nah, The Young Ones is awful. I can't think of any other sitcom which has dated so badly.

I've seen shows from the 50s and 60s that are more relevant and less dated than The Young Ones is.

Quote: Deferenz @ February 29 2008, 10:01 AM GMT

I bought the dvd of Filthy Rich & Catflap a few years ago. Up until this point I had only ever seen the series once on tv when it was broadcast in January 1987 and I had mixed memories of liking it because it was TYO related but also a little sad as it was quite different. When I watched the dvd my initial thought was that FRC was quite a disappointment. In 1987 the spirit of The Young Ones was still very much alive (even if their series & comic relief phase had come to an end)and therefore I think many people, including myself, had issues with seeing the characters as anything other than their TYO persona's.

It is not as strong as The Young Ones or Bottom in my opinion but it does have an important part to play in development.

For me, FRC is the place where the remnents of The Young Ones came to an end and where we see the beginnings of Bottom. In a number of the episodes you can see both Rik and Ade phase in and out of being Rick & Vivian and then Richie & Eddie. In retrospect it is an exciting show because it is almost like watching a comedy metamorphesis take place before your eyes.

I thought FRC was a difficult show 'to get'. I watched the series through on three seperate occasions befrore I began to see it in a new light. Once I began to click with the theme and characters I began to see quite a few amusing bits and pieces. I now rather like this show.

Def.

I think this is bang on, you can follow the development of Mayall and Edmondson through The Young Ones, Filty Rich and Bottom. The last of which was definately their best work. It is also the point at which Ben Elton, Mayall and Edmondson split as a writing force and went their seperate ways.

Quote: Winterlight @ June 20 2008, 10:41 PM BST

Why do so many people on here dislike The Young Ones?! It's one of my favourite sitcoms!

The Young Ones is my absolute favourite comedy. I too have noticed that on these boards it is treated like it is some grubby kid who should be kept in the cellar. Each to his own I guess....

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ June 24 2008, 6:04 AM BST

Bollocks!

The young ones is still pretty wonderfull. It hasn't dated as much as everyones gotten drunk or stoned and watched it too many times to find it fresh anymore.

The longer I go without watching it the funnier it gets each time.

It skipped between sit-com, sketch show, and variety show, and wasn't affraid to explore sureal concepts and absurdities others wouldn't touch. Mighty Boosh is the first show to do that again in a long time and, personally, I love it.

I couldn't agree more. I have been watching The Young Ones since 1982 when it first aired. First with tv and repeats, then on video and now dvds. It has so many jokes on different levels that I am always finding something new there that I hadn't noticed before. It is in my opinion a fantastic show, and as Mrs Slocombe would say, 'and I am unanimous in that decision"

Def.

Filthy, Rich and Catflap was a pretty unsophisticated satire on celebrity and had far too many industry in-jokes. Also, wasn't funny.

As an alternative (if you must have one) Ben Elton's best solo sitcom work (although whether it was truly a sitcom is debatable) was 'Happy Families', which featured a lot of great performances, inclduing great cameos by Stephen Fry and High Laurie as the doctors. Haven't watched it in a few years, but remember it as far superior to FR&C.