Filthy, Rich And Catflap

Anyone else been watching this, on Monday nights? I've been really disappointed by it.

I bought it on DVD last year. Disappointed indeed. Better than The Young Ones IMO, but quite.

Quote: Aaron @ February 26, 2008, 11:59 PM

I bought it on DVD last year. Disappointed indeed. Better than The Young Ones IMO, but quite.

But quite what?

Quite quite.

The pressure on Rik Mayall and the others must've been huge, after The Young Ones. I don't think any British comedians have ever been as big as they were back then, in Britain at least.

Quote: catskillz @ February 27, 2008, 12:51 AM

The pressure on Rik Mayall and the others must've been huge, after The Young Ones. I don't think any British comedians have ever been as big as they were back then, in Britain at least.

There have been MUCH bigger comedians, Tommy Cooper was at least 7' 9''.

Laughing out loud

I bought the dvd of Filthy Rich & Catflap a few years ago. Up until this point I had only ever seen the series once on tv when it was broadcast in January 1987 and I had mixed memories of liking it because it was TYO related but also a little sad as it was quite different. When I watched the dvd my initial thought was that FRC was quite a disappointment. In 1987 the spirit of The Young Ones was still very much alive (even if their series & comic relief phase had come to an end)and therefore I think many people, including myself, had issues with seeing the characters as anything other than their TYO persona's.

It is not as strong as The Young Ones or Bottom in my opinion but it does have an important part to play in development.

For me, FRC is the place where the remnents of The Young Ones came to an end and where we see the beginnings of Bottom. In a number of the episodes you can see both Rik and Ade phase in and out of being Rick & Vivian and then Richie & Eddie. In retrospect it is an exciting show because it is almost like watching a comedy metamorphesis take place before your eyes.

I thought FRC was a difficult show 'to get'. I watched the series through on three seperate occasions befrore I began to see it in a new light. Once I began to click with the theme and characters I began to see quite a few amusing bits and pieces. I now rather like this show.

Def.

Watched an episode of this for the first time the other day, I'm normally a fan of these guys but I was very disappointed. It was so bad it could be shown on BBC3. It would fit in there.

Ade was proper fit back then though, innit.

Yes, er...dude, he was like well health(?) and shit, chickymondo(and again?)

I don't recall FRC as being any worse than The Young Ones.

This was Bottom in embryo form - Nigel Planer was the weak link in this one

That Comic Strip film, in which Rik and Ade were the lead characters, was also pretty bad. You know, the one with Nicholas Parsons and Peter Cook? I watched it a few months back, and for the first time, I found myself getting annoyed by their constant shouting. I suppose they thought it was alternative and anarchicic, back in the '80s, but now it's just seems boring.

On par with 'The Young Ones' a mediocre par. Not a patch on 'Bottom' The show had its moments, but too many long periods without laughter.