Which sitcoms outstayed their welcome? Page 2

ha ha ha brilliant! I never saw that, but have seen clips of it on things. I mean, who thought it'd be a good idea! (I'm talking about "Heil" Thompsy not Respectable!)

Heil Honey, I'm Home was pure class! :D

Quote: Nick @ October 9, 2006, 1:33 PM

Another couple of shows that I'd mention are Goodnight Sweetheart and Birds of a Feather. Marks and Gran's tactic of starting a show and then raking in the money as hired hands continue isn't a particularly meritworthy one.

I almost pointed out BoaF, so yes, I agree with you there. That last series with the boys being released and then being immediately thrown back inside was awful.
Goodnight Sweetheart wasn't too bad. It probably could have ended a little sooner yes, but I don't think that it "pushed it" in the way that some shows do.

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ October 9, 2006, 2:22 PM

ha ha ha brilliant! I never saw that, but have seen clips of it on things. I mean, who thought it'd be a good idea! (I'm talking about "Heil" Thompsy not Respectable!)

I'm one of the few people who saw the only episode that was broadcast and it was terrible. In the show's defence, I did the write up for Heil Honey I'm Home for the BSG's sitcom guide and wrote that, "The show is obviously meant to be a parody (in the vein of 'The Producers') and not the sick joke that was savaged by the media." It was still cack though.

I am now quoting myself... Cool

You must be pretty pleased with your review eh?

;)

I can't help but think that the writer thought up the phrase "Heil Honey, I'm home!", laughed his arse off, and then built the sitcom around that.

Well quite. (It is a brilliant phrase though.)

Good as a parody, bad as a comedy. I'd still like to see the rest though.

Quote: Nick @ October 9, 2006, 1:33 PM

Another couple of shows that I'd mention are Goodnight Sweetheart and Birds of a Feather. Marks and Gran's tactic of starting a show and then raking in the money as hired hands continue isn't a particularly meritworthy one.

They did give several new writers a break on those shows though. :)

Whether they should have given them a break is another matter however. The guest writers on Birds of a Feather for example have written very little of any merit in the years since.

Yes it has been done I used to be a scally living in Warrington now I live in a trendy flat in Manchester.

Although I'm not a sitcom.

Quote: Mark Rushton @ October 12, 2006, 2:09 PM

Yes it has been done I used to be a scally living in Warrington now I live in a trendy flat in Manchester.

Although I'm not a sitcom.

Note to self: You must get the hang of pressing quote before replying otherwise no one with have a 4ucking clue what you're on about.

I knew it could be done old bean! Where abouts in Manc are you?

Sitcoms that have stayed too long include Only Fools and Horses and Last of the Summer Wine.

Also, something that has gone on too long is, I'm afraid, The Simpsons. Who on Earth would want to watch around 400 episodes anyway? I used to like it, but the ideas are not as good anymore.

I'm sure there are loads but the following spring to mind:

1) Fools and Horses. Should have finished after the episode when Damien was born. I didn't go a bundle on the 1996 finale - too much emotion and fewer laughs.

2) The New Statesman. Was brilliant for 3 series and ended with B'stard being trapped in Siberia. Should have ended there. The 4th series was awful and with Thatcher gone, most of the material went with it.

3) Men Behaving Badly. When it all started being about relationships, weddings, babies, etc. No need.

4) Red Dwarf. Began to look tired after series 5. Losing Rimmer for a while and bringing in Konchansky didn't hit the spot. Repeated in-jokes (Dwane Dibley, etc).

No doubt i'll think of more...

:(

I have to agree with Ginger Jesus, the prize should almost certainly go to 2 Pints of Lager..., with a special mention for My Hero of course. For 2POLAAPOC to run for 6 series, someone must have been giving someone else sexual favours at the BBC. I never liked it, but regardless of merit, I'm surprised it garnered enough viewers to get past say series 2.

As for losing it and then regaining 'it', I think South Park deserves a lot of credit. A great show, but once it had spawned a really great movie, it wandered the desert for a while, forgotten. The last few series have seen it utilise sharp political and social commentary while keeping true to its characters, throwing it back into the limelight as it responded to current events. It's now very vital and still often hilarious, but for a while there I think a lot of fans in the UK at least weren't even aware it was still being produced,or at least no longer cared (myself included).

The third season of LITTLE BRITAIN was realy awful, pathetic and horribly unfunny. I believe, I laughed twice or three times during this season. No good new characters/ideas, mostly boring repeated pseudo-jokes. I pray that there will be no fourth one!

to be honest this one is quite hard but i think blessed, outstayed it's welcome, it got one series, it was the poorest thin ive seen and from ben elton, piss poor

Quote: lewis roberts @ November 2, 2006, 9:37 AM

to be honest this one is quite hard but i think blessed, outstayed it's welcome, it got one series, it was the poorest thin ive seen and from ben elton, piss poor

See, that was SO bad I'd forgotten about it. Even before the first episode ended it had outstayed its welcome.