BBC Comedy College Page 47

Apparently that makes you wetter. Off topic. Banned again.

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ April 24 2008, 2:56 PM BST

Is anyone actually doing any comedy writing amidst all this fretting...

Ooooh yes, I'm deep in the middle of ScriptFrenzy. I'm 70 pages into the first draft of a screenplay, with a deadline of 100 pages by next Wednesday. Lots of fun and no time to think about what might have been. Although, annoyingly, I'm still finding time to consider ways to improve the script we sent to Micheal.
Errr

Hey, congrats to everyone who got a email and for those on crutches -
well, you can also use them another time to jam open the door ;)

email? have their been replies then saying yah or nah?

Quote: deian @ April 24 2008, 11:51 PM BST

email? have their been replies then saying yah or nah?

Yea, the fat lady sang yesterday :D

She didn't sing to me. She mouthed silently "You're shit. Don't bother anymore..."

It didn't need subtitles...

Dan

I should have got an interview on the title of my show a lone. Sure, the script was a bit naff but the title was a copper-bottomed corker. I won't say what it was because I'm going to pitch it as a radio show shortly.

Quote: Starscream @ April 24 2008, 10:18 PM BST

Ooooh yes, I'm deep in the middle of ScriptFrenzy. I'm 70 pages into the first draft of a screenplay, with a deadline of 100 pages by next Wednesday. Lots of fun and no time to think about what might have been. Although, annoyingly, I'm still finding time to consider ways to improve the script we sent to Micheal.
Errr

And while she's doing that, I'm writing more material to fill it out to a full half hour...

Quote: swerytd @ April 25 2008, 10:15 AM BST

She didn't sing to me. She mouthed silently "You're shit. Don't bother anymore..."

It didn't need subtitles...

Dan

At the risk of re-starting that "can comedy writing be learnt" debate again (it can be, deal with it), I think it's important to put the whole thing in perspective and be more positive in our outlook.

Perhaps, instead, the BBW mouthed silently "Sorry, you're not there yet and you lost to people at a more advanced stage but keep at it and you will get to that stage yourself eventually."

Quote: Starscream @ April 24 2008, 10:18 PM BST

Although, annoyingly, I'm still finding time to consider ways to improve the script we sent to Micheal.
Errr

I reckon that's the right attitude. Was what we submitted the best we can do? Can it be improved? Can we rewrite and get feedback before sending it back to Micheál? It's not as if that's our only chance of a commission gone until next years Comedy College.

Quote: bushbaby @ April 25 2008, 10:12 AM BST

Yea, the fat lady sang yesterday :D

damn it! I got bugger all again.
Pirate
yarr, bad times indeed

I'm up to 94 pages on Scriptfrenzy. At least I am now I've reformatted it.

(And Gavin turned it into a pdf)

Quote: Robin Kelly @ April 26 2008, 12:25 AM BST

At the risk of re-starting that "can comedy writing be learnt" debate again (it can be, deal with it), I think it's important to put the whole thing in perspective and be more positive in our outlook.

Perhaps, instead, the BBW mouthed silently "Sorry, you're not there yet and you lost to people at a more advanced stage but keep at it and you will get to that stage yourself eventually."

I reckon that's the right attitude. Was what we submitted the best we can do? Can it be improved? Can we rewrite and get feedback before sending it back to Micheál? It's not as if that's our only chance of a commission gone until next years Comedy College.

I think that's all valid.

Look at it this way - I was one of the winners of the Sketch factor thing two years back. Now, I'm still in touch with quite a few of the other winners, and out of the three I've spoken to, the furthest we managed in this was one of us getting the 'you nearly made the top 40' thing. Just one. The rest of us - nothing at all. And we're all writers who've had a substantial amount of broadcast quality sketches, employed more than once by the Beeb.

In others words, this is one scheme. You do well in one, you do badly in the other. Doing bad in one comp doesn't mean you're bad. On a different day with a different person, you might have done all right.

Quote: Antrax @ April 26 2008, 11:59 AM BST

In others words, this is one scheme. You do well in one, you do badly in the other. Doing bad in one comp doesn't mean you're bad. On a different day with a different person, you might have done all right.

I totally agree Antrax. Many entrants to this scheme were just not to the judge(s)'s taste and/or what they were specifically looking for.

I think alot of stuff people write is based on performance too (true in my case) and doesn't come across so well on the page. I doubt the first ten pages of The Office would have grabbed any producer and I believe that's true of many (but not all) other shows.

Quote: Slush Puppy @ April 26 2008, 1:14 PM BST

I totally agree Antrax. Many entrants to this scheme were just not to the judge(s)'s taste and/or what they were specifically looking for.

I think alot of stuff people write is based on performance too (true in my case) and doesn't come across so well on the page. I doubt the first ten pages of The Office would have grabbed any producer and I believe that's true of many (but not all) other shows.

I should add that one shouldn't assume that the only difference was one person read it one day and thought it was dire, and somebody else on another would have thought it was genius. It's possible, but on it's own not much use. It's worth assuming that next time you have to submit something better, don't get complacent. Any amount of success in the past counts for nothing. Certainly I think there's a danger that if you get close once, you will rest on your laurels and assume you're naturally good all the time. You're only as good as the one script.

Thinking 'I'm an unrecognised genius' doesn't help, basically. Because you'll submit something the same standard next time and the same thing will happen.

Quote: Antrax @ April 26 2008, 1:31 PM BST

I should add that one shouldn't assume that the only difference was one person read it one day and thought it was dire, and somebody else on another would have thought it was genius. It's possible, but on it's own not much use. It's worth assuming that next time you have to submit something better, don't get complacent. Any amount of success in the past counts for nothing. Certainly I think there's a danger that if you get close once, you will rest on your laurels and assume you're naturally good all the time. You're only as good as the one script.

Thinking 'I'm an unrecognised genius' doesn't help, basically. Because you'll submit something the same standard next time and the same thing will happen.

brilliant.