Dissertation on Comedy Writing...please help :)

Hello all you beautiful people

So im doing my dissertation on the progression of British comedy writing and i have come up with a little questionnaire that if your bored and want to help me it would be great for you to fill in :D

also added some extra questions at the end...you dont have to answer them but they go into a lot more depth...THANK YOU

1.How old are you?

2.What is your favourite British sitcom of all time?

3.What is your favourite British sitcom of the last 10 years?

4.Do you think British sitcoms have changed much over the last 50 years?

5.And why do you think that?

6.Please mark these British sitcoms between 1-10 in order of how much you like them, 1 being the least liked and 10 being the one you like the most:

Peep show
Fawlty Towers
Green wing
The Royal Family
Only Fools and Horses
The Office
Blackadder
Red Dwarf
Porridge
Phoenix Nights

7.Now mark the British sitcoms between 1-10 in order of what you believe to be the most popular programme, 1 being the least popular and 10 being the most popular:

Peep Show
Fawlty Towers
Green Wing
The Royal Family
Only Fools and Horses
The Office
Blackadder
Red Dwarf
Porridge
Phoenix Nights

8.Do you think that British Sitcoms play a large part in British Culture?

EXTRA QUESTIONS:

1. How would you say British Sitcoms have changed from Fawlty Towers to Peep Show? Is there a significant gap or change in style and technique?

2.Do you believe that older generations enjoy modern British sitcoms less than younger generations appreciating older British sitcoms and why do you think this is?

3. Would you agree that there has been a death of canned laughter in modern sitcoms and if so why do you believe this?

4. Two largely successful British sitcoms are My Family and Two Pints of Larger and Packet of Crisps. Do you think that canned laughter and ‘traditional’ sitcom programmes can survive nowadays?

5. Do you think any programmes in particular have instigated a change in British sitcoms and if so how?

Thank you
x x x

Is this an essay question from the comedy college entrance exam?

Quote: Marc P @ April 18 2008, 2:54 PM BST

Is this an essay question from the comedy college entrance exam?

haha, it would be perfect for that!

My dissertation is entitled: The Death of Canned Laughter: A comparative study into the evolution of British comedy writing and its effects on present day sitcoms. so its all relevant.

I mean where else would i go to get peoples opinions on comedy except here :)

Quote: Griff @ April 18 2008, 2:53 PM BST

PM-ing a reply to you. We should say hello at the Peep Show thing next week BTW.

and yes we should, i'll be the gd looking girl with the two geeking looking men hehe

PM'd you my answers! :) Good luck!

Everyone try and answer these for her... I was doing my dissertation a couple of years ago and you need as much help as possible! :)

righto I will use My imense comedy mind on this!

Pm'ing .......Now.

Thanks everyone....responses have been very good :)

You truely are comedy experts hehe

Stef, hate to be picky, but it's very very rare for British comedy - particularly sitcoms - to use canned laughter. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one. Might be worth tweaking the wording of your title a little? Whoever's marking it could rip you apart based purely on that, if my experience of uni etc. is anything to go by!

Anyway. Would love to answer, but don't have time right now. Got a deadline?

its just refering to the use of audience laughter in british sitcoms, whether it be a studio audience or a laughter track put in afterwards. its not as common now as it was back in the day.

Just asap wud be nice :) my actual dissertation isnt handed in till may so its all good.

Ah, I see. It's just, canned laughter tends to refer to fake laughter, brought into the show artificially in post-production. Sounds like you're referring to a "laughter track". So uh, "The Death of the Laughter Track: ..."?

Sorry, being a picky bastard.

no thats fine, i understand wot u mean, i do agree... but my lecturers arent that clever lol

I'll have a look - but we did this for Jake How. Try looking up his thread to cheat.

Also Stef, just a reminder to write using correct spellings. U instead of you, wot instead of what; isn't allowed. Thanks! :)

PMd you - and corrected Royle (Royal) Family and Two Pints of Lager (not Larger!)

Quote: EllieJP @ April 18 2008, 9:50 PM BST

Also Stef, just a reminder to write using correct spellings. U instead of you, wot instead of what; isn't allowed. Thanks! :)

like i said before just force of habit, sorry :)

i = I. Oo I felt just like Aaron then. I think a little bit of wee seeped out with excitement. Does it get you that way big 'A'?