Mammoth

They had Welsh stand-up and Elvis impersonator Mike Bubbins, writer and star of this short sitcom series, on Sunday Brunch this morning, and he's clearly a funny man, so "Mammoth" offers a lot of promise, especially as he managed to get Sian Gibson on board.

SO, the premise is, on school trip in 1979 a PE teacher Tony Mammoth is buried in a snow avalanche and is subsequently brought back its life in 2021 - not a new idea (think Adam Adamant Lives! way back in the 1960s), but looked promising in the very short clip they showed, where he cannot help but apply his chauvinistic ways in the present day - gave me a giggle.

BUT.................I did say the same about Tom Davis with his "King Gary" - we'll see.

BBC Two Wed. 17 April at 10pm to 10.25pm.

Or Life On Mars or David Brent meets Anchorman. There is nothing new here on the surface, but it'll be a big surprise if the character's allowed to be as non PC as those two, especially Brent. If 'Mammoth' isn't, then it's not a genuine 70's male dinosaur spoof, but a weak woke version for the easily offended. Which I fully expect it to be.

The clip they showed was him coming on strong to a single mum at a parent's evening interview, and was quite funny, though a colleague of his on the next table, who knew of his being from the 70s did tut and tell him to behave.

Watched the trailers and thought there's too much of him being told things have changed, as I feared. Not enough Brent type unchecked offensiveness, which is what made him so funny. But it's obviously a different character here, not as conceited but just an unknowing relic from the past.

Looks like there are only 3 episodes and they're barely over 20 minutes each, so I think it'll be worth a try at least.
Mike Bubbins was on House of Games a while back and seemed quite funny from what I recall.

Quote: a plate @ 15th April 2024, 4:42 PM

Looks like there are only 3 episodes and they're barely over 20 minutes each, so I think it'll be worth a try at least.
Mike Bubbins was on House of Games a while back and seemed quite funny from what I recall.

I hate that BBC sitcoms have gone from half hours to fifteen or twenty minute episodes. Mandy was a similar length. Do they think the public's attention span is now so short in the age of streaming that we can't watch a half hour episode?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 16th April 2024, 10:31 AM

I hate that BBC sitcoms have gone from half hours to fifteen or twenty minute episodes. Mandy was a similar length. Do they think the public's attention span is now so short in the age of streaming that we can't watch a half hour episode?

I'll be honest, I do struggle a bit with 30 minutes nowadays!

Mmmmm - not impressed, but will use my rule of watching at least 2 episodes, or in this case the entire series 😁

I missed the opening 15mins but caught the 2nd half. I really liked what I saw of it and it put the trailers in a bit of context, seeming much funnier here. He's a funny man but really underplays it, his delivery is almost like a read through but the 'gags' were great. It's a an odd looking mix of new and old styles, old school comedy with a modern format including another series arc initiated in the meeting of his family.

Just watched episode 1, I loved it. I really liked how they got all the obvious fish out of water gags out the way in the first five minutes. It would have been so easy to make Mammoth an unpleasant, boorish stereotype, but to Bubbins' credit he makes Mammoth a likeable bloke, and I laughed out loud several times.

Not the most original idea in the world but well executed with Bobbins being a likeable lead and Sian Gibson very good as ever as his "daughter" .

Franklt someone who's slashes a colleague tyres is hardly likeable - more like a criminal sociopath!
This show is very much a one trick pony. The characterization and development seems a bit askew as I can't believe he'd fork out 700 quid to buy a kid a new phone to keep his silence (considering he still in the 70s mindset: "10p for a marathon")?

Watched the whole series, best comedy I've seen in ages. Yes Mammoth is a heightened character, and particularly in the last episode is an absolute arse, but the main thing is it made me laugh a lot, especially Joseph Marcell trying to get rid of the ashes. I really hope there's a second, full length six episode, series.

Seeing as the reviews on here were very varied and I had not seen or heard anything about it, I watched episode 1.
The little underplayed bits were the funniest. (like putting the photo back in the album)
I look forward to the rest.