Phoenix Nights

Game On

Quote: george roper @ 8th February 2015, 12:35 PM GMT

Some More I think should be up there.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Love Thy Neighbour

Phoenix Nights

Game On

Phoenix Nights, a sitcom?? I thought it was a reality show. All of the workingmens clubs near me are full of characters like that,a classic!

Quote: paulted @ 8th February 2015, 12:30 PM GMT

Although some shows are before my time, I've tried The Goons but.. didn't dislike it or engage with it,sorry. Hancock can be superb, and Round The Horne was delightfully coarse for its time.

I think it is a (I know clichéd!) generation thing - if you grew up with the Goons it stays with you.

Quote: george roper @ 8th February 2015, 12:35 PM GMT

Some More I think should be up there.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Love Thy Neighbour

Phoenix Nights

Game On

Not so much Love Thy Neighbour, but I totally agree with you about the other three. Although I think Auf Wiedersehen Pet tends be regarded as more of a comedy drama, if it does count it would be right near the top of my list.

I always liked the more alternative ones. Such as: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d4i-aTKlm8U

Not so much alternative as self-promotion...

So we're another ten years down the track from this event of 2004.

While I don't think the top ten they got back then was perfect, it was close to it. I think they had a fairly close to perfect top ten.

I was disappointed that Galton and Simpson wasn't represented in the top ten. I definitely believe Steptoe and Son was worthy of a place in there.

In my personal opinion, I don't think anything made since 2004 is worthy of a place in the top ten.

I do believe if a similar vote happened now, that more modern 21st century shows would make the top ten.

I think the likes of "The Royle Family" and "The Office" would be strong contenders to make it. And with those two I could probably accept, but nothing else from this period.for me.

Quote: whatkindoffoolami @ 26th March 2024, 12:37 AM

So we're another ten years down the track from this event of 2004.

While I don't think the top ten they got back then was perfect, it was close to it. I think they had a fairly close to perfect top ten.

I was disappointed that Galton and Simpson wasn't represented in the top ten. I definitely believe Steptoe and Son was worthy of a place in there.

In my personal opinion, I don't think anything made since 2004 is worthy of a place in the top ten.

I do believe if a similar vote happened now, that more modern 21st century shows would make the top ten.

I think the likes of "The Royle Family" and "The Office" would be strong contenders to make it. And with those two I could probably accept, but nothing else from this period.for me.

The Thick Of It is deserving of a place in the top ten I would say.

The only recent sitcom worthy of considering for a place, I would say, is Father Ted.

Neither would be in mine but it's all subjective and personal isn't it. I wouldn't have had TVOD or OAH anywhere near mine either but the public voted.

The other eight I pretty much agree with.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th March 2024, 6:54 AM

Neither would be in mine but it's all subjective and personal isn't it. I wouldn't have had TVOD or OAH anywhere near mine either but the public voted.

The other eight I pretty much agree with.

Well the youtube link on the initial post on this thread is no longer available so, without going through six pages to see if they're mentioned, I've no idea what the original ten were and I can't think what TVOD or OAH might stand for. Google suggests "transitional video on demand" and "Organization of American Historians" but I suspect not. So that's me stymied as far as responding I'm afraid.

Acronyms are my failure too. Unless it's OFAH or WILTY (which make sort of words in themselves) I very rarely have a clue as to which program is being referred to.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th March 2024, 8:04 AM

Well the youtube link on the initial post on this thread is no longer available so, without going through six pages to see if they're mentioned, I've no idea what the original ten were and I can't think what TVOD or OAH might stand for. Google suggests "transitional video on demand" and "Organization of American Historians" but I suspect not. So that's me stymied as far as responding I'm afraid.

I'd sooner watch those than The Vicar Of Dibley and Open All Hours, yes.

I'm guessing this is the poll he was referring to:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/top/