Cheese Page 6

Mmmmm!

I really need to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!

Broken into my Christmas cheese selection, as expected. My first purchase of Shropshire Red and after scoffing nearly all of it it definitely won't be the last. Got an aged and a smoked one. Can only speak for the former so far but recommend plain unsalty crackers or crusty bread and I suspect it's excellent in a baked potato which I will be trying later. Bye bye Red Leicester.

My wife's a cheese nut I call her Ben Gunn, I like the basic ones but draw the line at the soft or smelly ones. As for crackers I'm a big fan of Hovis ones as you get plenty of bang for your buck on the taste front.

Quote: zooo @ 17th June 2012, 11:20 AM

It's the smell and flavour I don't like. So yeah, can't stand any of them!

Maybe it's something you grow into? I shall try them again in ten years.

Did you?

Enjoying some queso fresco (Mexican) cheese on my 4:45 AM airport breakfast tacos.

EDIT: The bastards didn't put any salsa in the bag. This trip is off to a bad start.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th December 2023, 9:57 AM

Did you?

Ha! Well I haven't tasted any, but the smell of blue cheese still makes me very sad.
I do have a fridge full of other Christmas cheeses I might have to break into, though.

I can only do bleu cheese with those funky spreads along with em like a a chili/fig chutney kinda deal then they really open up,need that umami thing

I like Camembert

And I don't care how f**king runny it is

My friends tried this in Sardinia. No thanks.

I do like a bit of holumi with freshly made salsa, guacamole, thinly sliced green peppers, water cress and red onion on Lebanese flat bread.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 16th December 2023, 10:08 PM

I do like a bit of holumi with freshly made salsa, guacamole, thinly sliced green peppers, water cress and red onion on Lebanese flat bread.

Hang on. Don't you come from Liverpool?

Quote: Chappers @ 16th December 2023, 10:45 PM

Hang on. Don't you come from Liverpool?

Liverpool is Europe's New York on a smaller scale we are a port that served the world. We had shops open on Christmas Day in the 60s the owners where from Algeria to Zaire, we have had a China Town with restaurants since the 50's and my favourite food in the 70s was Turkish and Lebanese.
Oh and Scouse of course

Ironically, or coincidentally there was a news item this morning about a new cheese ASDA and Morrisons are stocking this Christmas.
It's made by a small Scottish cheese dairy and its tagline is 'the smelliest cheese in the world.
And its name is MINGER.

One of the staples hardest hit by inflation as the prices of some standard supermarket cheeses have nearly doubled, but finally found a shop with an offer on Wensleydale so have just finished one in one go, got an offer on Jacob's Krackerwheat too so that was a perfect match.

Anyone here tried truffle infused cheese? Saw a clubcard offer a few weeks back on Brie with black truffle, had one and bloomin loved it, so went back and got a couple more before the offer ended but had to freeze them, as unpasteurised cheese doesn't keep for long. Still in the freezer, so should be fine for a sauce on pasta. The room temp version was as heavenly as you'd expect, be a good one for a 70s style cheese & wine evening to wow your guests. Mine won't be touched by anyone but me though, even if I ever had guests. 😬

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th December 2023, 9:36 AM

Bye bye Red Leicester.

No it's not. Saw an aged Red Leicester so bought it and it's basically the same as the Shropshire Red, but as it has way more flavour than the standard version it's worth the extra pennies imo. Like wine, you have to pay for higher quality cheese and they are both worth it. If you can afford it ofcourse.

Just came back from Northern France.
Needless to say we won't be short of cheese for a while.