What's this show?

Had a line float into my head yesterday - think it's from a British sitcom but googling has been no help. Really bugging me - does anyone remember?

There's a protest against a proposed one-way system. People are drawing up signs or getting things printed. One of the characters (male, nasal voiced, short and bald in my head) is angry because someone has misplaced the punctuation and now instead of reading 'One way; no way!' It now reads 'One Way? No way!!' Hard to put into type but the delivery of the second line as if he's in awe and disbelief about the awesome far-out-ness of the coming one-way system.

Driving me mad - does anyone know the show where this is from?

Not sure why, but this sounds familiar to me too... How long ago did it air roughly? (Like, decade?)

That's very familiar to me too without a light bulb going off as to the definite answer but I'm sure this type of plot has cropped up in at least one of our sitcoms, probably more.

A couple of suggestions as to what it sounds like it could be, and from memory may have actually been an episode plot in Ever Decreasing Circles as I'm almost certain had a road protest based episode, Richard Briers did have a nasally voice but he wasn't bald. Suggestion 2 - One Foot In the Grave, it's definitely the sort of thing he'd be protesting about and he was bald. Neither are particularly tall.

And if I had to pick one it would be the latter. But it could be neither, as it sounds like a staple plot for many a Brit sitcom.

In my head it's vaguely modern (post 2000) but really I'm guessing - it's the voice that's clear in my head more than the description. Glad it sounds like I've not imagined it though...

The character sounds like David Haig in Ben Elton's The Wright Way. A DVD was meant to come out but after being pronounced one of the worst sitcoms ever made it must have been cancelled.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_wright_way/

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th March 2024, 5:49 PM

A couple of suggestions as to what it sounds like it could be, and from memory may have actually been an episode plot in Ever Decreasing Circles as I'm almost certain had a road protest based episode, Richard Briers did have a nasally voice but he wasn't bald. Suggestion 2 - One Foot In the Grave, it's definitely the sort of thing he'd be protesting about and he was bald. Neither are particularly tall.

And if I had to pick one it would be the latter. But it could be neither, as it sounds like a staple plot for many a Brit sitcom.

The "road protest" episode in Ever Decreasing Circles was about a lorry driver driving down "The Close" in the early/late hours rather than anything about one way streets. And I certainly don't remember such a plot in One Foot in the Grave.

In a subsequent post the original poster says that, in his head, "it's modern". That's me out then...

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 19th March 2024, 9:36 AM

The character sounds like David Haig in Ben Elton's The Wright Way. A DVD was meant to come out but after being pronounced one of the worst sitcoms ever made it must have been cancelled.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_wright_way/

This is a very good thought, but I've had a look through the episodes and can't immediately see anything as described. In any case, the series focuses on the local council's health and safety team, so they'd be the proponents of such an annoying scheme, not protesting against it.