I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,750

Reform have proved two things:

1. They can effectively split the Tory vote
2.They will never get a seat in parliament (though Rochdale might be interesting)

Cue a hug amount of horse-trading as Reform try to do some sort of under-the-table deal with the Cons.

Rees-Smug on Labour's resounding victories?

"its prospects for a general election aren't that good."

😄👍

Quote: Lazzard @ 16th February 2024, 11:20 AM

Reform have proved two things:

1. They can effectively split the Tory vote
2.They will never get a seat in parliament (though Rochdale might be interesting)

Cue a hug amount of horse-trading as Reform try to do some sort of under-the-table deal with the Cons.

Tice is 100% clear - no deals with the Tories

Which means he probably will

$354 million

🤣🤣🤣

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 15th February 2024, 9:34 AM

How does a country fall into recession?
By electing a Conservative government a few years before.
So yes. The recession is largely the Conservatives' fault.

From 2016.....

"Boris Johnson has said he will apologise on national television if Britain were to plunge into recession after a vote to leave the EU.

His promise came in response to a caller to radio station LBC, who asked the former mayor of London: "If we Brexit and we go into recession, would you have the political courage, to go on TV ... and say sorry, I made it wrong and I apologise?"

"Of course I will," he said. "I'm not certain what my political career holds anyway. This is far more important than any individual political career."

I won't hold my breath

🐀 🐀 🐀 🚢

"British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's Conservative Party might be on the precipice of a mass exodus. As many as 100 MPs are planning to stand down before the parliamentary elections, according to a report by The Times, which cites senior Tory leaders.

A series of by-election losses and resignations, owing to scandals and protests over government policies have put the Sunak government in a crisis mode.

Many of the MPs fear they will lose their seats in the upcoming poll, while others are looking for jobs in the private sector.

According to experts, Tories are so far behind in the electoral race that top leaders are dropping the towel to avoid the post-election embarrassment.

"Why stick around to get smashed in an election and spend ten years in opposition," one of the rebels was quoted as saying by the publication, adding that Sunak should stand down and let someone else lead the party."

Or in other words these Tory MPs are only in it, to get power, rather than serve their country.

Quote: Firkin @ 18th February 2024, 2:33 PM

Or in other words these Tory MPs are only in it, to get power, rather than serve their country.

Nail ⬇️Head

...rather than serve their country.

I think the problem is some of them genuinely think it's 'their' country, rather than ours.

Quote: lofthouse @ 18th February 2024, 3:37 PM

Nail ⬇️Head

Er, how can they serve their country without being in power? 🤔

And are you implying that all Labour and Lib Dem MPs who've been in govt don't get lucrative jobs in the private or so called charity sector afterwards? Don't remember Nick Clegg or David Miliband❓

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th February 2024, 3:40 PM

I think the problem is some of them genuinely think it's 'their' country, rather than ours.

You're probably right, and not just some. But is that worse than all those in the future Labour govt thinking our country belongs to anyone with a spurious asylum claim, as they do?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th February 2024, 7:47 AM

U-turn Keir is now suspending more MP's. It's very tricky if you have a large number of potential voters and MP's that are antisemites and support Gaza.
Those voters and MP's openly hate Israel, and Jews in general - and there are a lot of them.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 14th February 2024, 9:03 AM

Nonsense. I've never met any Labour supporters who have said anything antisemitic. Many have been critical of Israel, but that's hardly the same thing.
No Labour MPs have been suspended recently.
In contrast, I've met lots of Tory supporters who have said racist things. I'm sure we all have.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th February 2024, 9:12 AM

Should have gone to Specsavers.

Sorry but like Stephen, I find your statement peculiarly myopic, Chris. Surely you've read about the huge upsurge in antisemitic attacks on normal everyday jews in Britain, both verbal and physical? What party do you think the attackers are likely to be supporters of, or certainly were under the last leader?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th February 2024, 2:26 AM

But is that worse than all those in the future Labour govt thinking our country belongs to anyone with a spurious asylum claim, as they do?

Aside from the complete fabrication at the end of that sentence (you do know which government is currently approving 80% of asylum claims and approving visas for over 650,00 people a year?), I think a Labour government would be infinitely preferable to having a government that believed the country, its resources and its people were there simply to create wealth for them and their descendants.
The ability of this government to convince the mill-workers to vote for the mill-owners will never ceae to amaze me.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th February 2024, 2:43 AM

Sorry but like Stephen, I find your statement peculiarly myopic, Chris. Surely you've read about the huge upsurge in antisemitic attacks on normal everyday jews in Britain, both verbal and physical? What party do you think the attackers are likely to be supporters of, or certainly were under the last leader?

Still mostly on the Right, I would expect e.g. Tory, Reform or the BNP. Like most people, I've met far more racist Tory supporters than I have racist Labour ones.

We all have unconscious bias, so there is prejudice on the left and right. It's extremist groups like the EDL and the "Proud Boys" that seek to encourage prejudice, normally for self gain. The worrying development is seeing Trump and Brexit both used this unconscious bias to manipulate the vote. That has been blatantly obvious with Trump, Putin and Farage.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 19th February 2024, 10:25 AM

Still mostly on the Right, I would expect e.g. Tory, Reform or the BNP. Like most people, I've met far more racist Tory supporters than I have racist Labour ones.

A massive proportion of potential Labour voters and MPs for that matter hate Jews and Israel. You know who I mean.
U-turn better tread carefully with who he pretends to support.
And, Jews are not a race.