Monty Python is dreadful Page 18

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd June 2023, 3:50 PM

Oh, I adore The Crimson Permanent Assurance. Great song, bizarre clash of styles, and all-round very entertaining.

Me too.
Watched the film on its release.
Went down gang-busters in the cinema,

It's very clever and looks fantastic

But I reiterate...

It's not funny!!!

Not a huge fan of that either.
My problem with Meaning... is I bought the buke when I was about ten and I just didn't get It. I didn't even know what a sperm was, never mind why it should be sacred. I love the film now, but I wish I'd first seen it later.
Re the fact that it's a sketch compilation, Eric Idle made the valid point that they all are but they got away with it by using the same characters. There's no real plot development, just a series of funny scenes. Take a scene from The Graduate and it means less out of context - that doesn't really apply to Python. He had the idea of having the same guy in each sketch - being born, sitting in class, dying at the end etc - but it was overruled.

Quote: MrIntelligent Dude @ 11th December 2010, 3:37 PM

The following is an opinion on perhaps the most overrated show to ever grace British TV...

I have a group of colleagues who never stop quoting Monty Python (which is pitiful in itself). They are obsessed with the show/movies and constatntly tell me I'm 'sad' for not liking it.

Here's the thing: I've watched Python when it used to be on all the time on British TV. I even watched the spin-off films too. They just aren't funny. Not one bit.

I watched Life of Brian and Holy Grail and almost fell asleep because they bored me to tears. I've noticed one thing with the Python team: they try too hard to be funny. As a result, the 'comedic' deliveries look forced and unnatural, and, therefore, not humourous at all.

Genuinely funny comedy (British) would be the likes of The Office, Blackadder or Only Fools and Horses. These have good writing, excellent delivery and are sheer brilliance.

The only reason people like Python is because they're trying to impress their friends that they have 'sophisticated' wit (aka 'I don't find the sketches funny but I'll pretend to because that means I'm cool, right?').

I can't think why anyone would find Life of Brian or Holy Grail funny and it is disgraceful these films are listed in the imdb top 250. Then again, the list has films like Kick Ass and Inception amongst the 'greatest' films so it's hardly surprising a lot of weak movies make the list.

Anyone who claims to enjoy Python, in my opinion, only does so in a pathetic effort to impress their peers. Which is disgraceful.

I feel like you're dead inside and you just don't know what's funny anymore. I didn't know what funny was back in my teens living in the Midwest, thought I'd seen it all as far as movies/VHS tapes went. It took a working partner who came from New Jersey whom I got to know as a good friend, and he took me to see the holy grail and life of Brian, I never laughed so hard when the UFO crashed and Brian came walking out and the bystander said you lucky bastard. Or when he had to paint the walls correctly had been at it all night and turned around to see guards that wanted him dead. And when they all went marching into his mom's flat to look for him? Just hilarious, I don't care how you feel, that shit is still funny to this day. I'll just be here in the woods with my arms and legs chopped off-but it ain't nothing but a scratch-fight me like a man you coward!

Quote: Badge @ 11th December 2010, 3:49 PM

Yeah, what have the Pythons ever given us?

How about killer bunnies?

And the ONLY reason I signed up here is because I seen your dribble at trying to look intelligent slamming Monty Python elsewhere, and I just had to reply to you, while our freedom of speech is still free!
And if you dislike them so much, you just keep your ass out of that castle, all those horny nuns are mine!

OMG! After reading through these posts, at your tries of being intelligent, it reminded me of a dream I had the other night! I dreamed that I was dying and my life was flashing right before my eyes... Then I got bored and woke up...😁

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 10th June 2023, 8:11 AM

Not a huge fan of that either.
My problem with Meaning... is I bought the buke when I was about ten and I just didn't get It. I didn't even know what a sperm was, never mind why it should be sacred. I love the film now, but I wish I'd first seen it later.
Re the fact that it's a sketch compilation, Eric Idle made the valid point that they all are but they got away with it by using the same characters. There's no real plot development, just a series of funny scenes. Take a scene from The Graduate and it means less out of context - that doesn't really apply to Python. He had the idea of having the same guy in each sketch - being born, sitting in class, dying at the end etc - but it was overruled.

Same reasons for me with Meaning Of Life and I would have appreciated it more if I had been older. The unrelated sequence at the start made it even more confusing. The ending with the Tony Bennett impression is the funniest part of the film and Graham nails it but it's not something I ever fancy watching unlike Brian and Grail.

I loved the meaning of life at the time , They filmed a couple of sketches at our school, the rugby bit for sure
I liked that it was more overtly a sketch film than the other two. ( not including ANFSCD )
But I would have liked to have seen the other versions they were thinking of

It's awesome, but I've seen it too many times.