I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,643

Quote: billwill @ 30th August 2023, 10:40 AM

ULEZ

Read these: https://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=ULEZ+Court&d=news_ps&seqId=fee6ef20-4705-11ee-ac80-f39600994dad

What? All of them?

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th August 2023, 2:53 PM

It only affects 10% of vehicles in London.

Only if you believe Sadiq Khan, which not many people do.

Khan was criticised by the UK Statistics Authority for alleging that 90% of cars in outer London meet the ULEZ standards. Official statistics show that, in fact, 1 in 6 cars don't meet the standards and the Authority said this was part of a pattern where TFL (Transport for London) made public claims without publishing supporting evidence.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/sadiq-khans-blasted-for-misleading-britons-on-ulez/ar-AA1dgHhA

His office has since admitted that he mis-spoke (that's politician talk for lying).

Quote: lofthouse @ 30th August 2023, 3:08 PM

https://www.londonworld.com/news/traffic-and-travel/ulez-grant-shapps-urged-sadiq-khan-to-expand-congestion-zone-4264592

In other news , the general election in Gabon was won by Ali Bongo

😐😐😐

I thought he was dead................that's a shock

Quote: beaky @ 30th August 2023, 12:38 PM

Brilliant, Alison!

Thank you, Beaky!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th August 2023, 8:53 AM

almost like a ghost town now.................not unless you like coffee and gambling.

Sounds like my sort of place.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th August 2023, 3:25 PM

What? All of them?

Only if you believe Sadiq Khan, which not many people do.

Khan was criticised by the UK Statistics Authority for alleging that 90% of cars in outer London meet the ULEZ standards. Official statistics show that, in fact, 1 in 6 cars don't meet the standards and the Authority said this was part of a pattern where TFL (Transport for London) made public claims without publishing supporting evidence.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/sadiq-khans-blasted-for-misleading-britons-on-ulez/ar-AA1dgHhA

His office has since admitted that he mis-spoke (that's politician talk for lying).

My figure was for the overall percentage for London.
Granted the newly incorporated zones have a lower compliance level relative to the current zone - I think that stands at about 84%(?)
And that figure shows a nearly 40% improvement on the year before - and that's through natural scrapage - before the 'nudge' effect of he tax kicks in.
Overall it's a good thing with many, many more people benefitting and increasingly few people getting hit with the tax.

" A man who made his fortune selling get rich quick schemes on the internet under a variety of false identities- and lied about it *after* becoming an MP - is now in charge of the nation's defence "

But it does mean we get four Defence Ministers for the price of one.

Quote: Lazzard @ 31st August 2023, 12:55 PM

But it does mean we get four Defence Ministers for the price of one.

Shapps AKA Michael Green, Sebastian Fox and Corinne Stockheath has held 5 different cabinet posts in the space of 12 months

Farcical

Pulp are shit.

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th August 2023, 2:53 PM

It's to incentivise people to jack in their polluting cars and get compliant ones.
There's few that'll just treat it as a tax - one would hope that most people move to a compliant motor sooner rather than later.
It only affects 10% of vehicles in London, so as taxes go, it'll be pretty short-lived.

It affects far more than 10% of the cars registered as being kept in London, that 10% figure is the dodgy data of the mayor's men, data recorded by just 160 cameras placed ONLY on the main roads in & out of London. I.e it didn't really account for all the inter-area visits where the outer occupants use car for things like local shopping & taking kids to school etc, which are probably the bulk of the actual real trips in outer London and which occur because the bus services in outer London are far more sparse than inner London and many routes were cut recently.

The £2000 assistance is only available to those on benefits, but existing owners of non-compliant vehicles, probably have old cars which are worth around £500 whereas the (in short supply) compliant second hand cars typically cost over £8000. They can't afford their gas & electricity, rent & food bills, let alone find another £6000 to buy a compliant vehicle.

I don't know what pollution scale Khan uses but I daily look at the MET OFFICE daily forcasts and I've never seen their pollution tag read obove L for Low.

Read the court cases: for more info on the ULEZ situation, see these BBC articles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=ULEZ+Court&d=news_ps&seqId=fee6ef20-4705-11ee-ac80-f39600994dad

Quote: alison blunderland @ 28th August 2023, 10:43 PM

Experts today warned that the UK faces a 'tidal wave of harm' from ultra-processed foods after two studies flagged their links with heart attacks and strokes.
Ultra-processed foods like frozen pizza, instant noodles, biscuits and cakes are unsurprisingly unhealthy but, to the surprise of many, breakfast cereals are now deemed 'ultra-processed'.

So will we now go from:

to . .

You are a stirrer. Why move this crap here?

Kids back to school next week

Except maybe the ones that go to schools that are built from concrete that is prone to collapsing on their heads

Farcical

Quote: lofthouse @ 31st August 2023, 10:32 PM

Kids back to school next week

Except maybe the ones that go to schools that are built from concrete that is prone to collapsing on their heads

Farcical

Kids are quite annoying, though. I'd happily have them crumbled on.

The last days of the school holidays - they decide to announce this?

They've known about the issue since 2019