I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,646

Only about a third seem to support Brexit today.

I seem to remember similar stats before the Brexit vote. Stats are not fact, you can always find them to suit your agenda.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 4th September 2023, 12:45 PM

I seem to remember similar stats before the Brexit vote. Stats are not fact, you can always find them to suit your agenda.

No. The polling just before the vote only ever suggested a narrow majority favoured remaining in the EU, not the big numbers we're seeing now.
If stats are so easy to falsify or manipulate, why is nobody here (or anywhere) providing any stats which a) suggest a clear majority still support Brexit or b) that Brexit is boosting the economy?

As you say there are clearly no significant boost to the UK economy from Brexit, which is why its cheerleaders are now treating other EU countries' financial woes as some sort of Brexit Bonus - like an embittered divorcee taking grim pleasure in hearing that their ex-missus has lost her job, while he sits alone in a cold, filthy bed-sit.
They also choose to ignore the fact that some EU countries are doing better than us, others worse - thus instantly dispelling the myth that 'being in the EU' is the cause of their problems (just like it wasn't the cause of ours).
Brexit promised much and delivered little, hence its decline in popularity.
With the India deal mired in problems - the main one being India's insistence on relaxing immigration quotas (oh, the dilemma!) - plus the implementation of the long-delayed, but inevitable incoming border controls, with all the costs and shortages that will bring. - these figures are unlikely to improve in favour of Brexit.
As I've said before, we won't rejoin per se but will drift back into some sort of customs union++ sort of arrangement.
A few people will moan from the Opposition benches & Farage will have something to talk about again - but most people will see it as just plain common sense.

Rishi Sunak refused to properly fund a school rebuilding programme when he was chancellor, despite officials presenting evidence that there was "a critical risk to life" from crumbling concrete panels, the Department for Education's former head civil servant has said.
After the department told Sunak's Treasury that there was a need to rebuild 300 to 400 schools a year in England, he gave funding for only 100, which was then halved to 50, said Jonathan Slater, the permanent secretary of the department from 2016 to 2020.

Wow....

Oh well no doubt Jonathan Slater is lying through his teeth

Pity about the split infinitive though. One would have expected better from the Deputy Political Editor of the Grauniad. Or perhaps not.

Their answer for everything that goes wrong is "it's Covid" and, or "it's due to Putins illegal war in Ukraine"

They can't blame the crumbling schools on either of those - so Sunaks plan seems to be to just lie through his back teeth

"Nothing to do with me Guv"

What about when Blair or Brown were in? Did they sort it out or just kick the can down the road?
It's a disgrace either way but steady with the stone-throwing.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th September 2023, 7:37 AM

What about when Blair or Brown were in? Did they sort it out or just kick the can down the road?.

Labour had a massive school re-build and re-furbishment plan in place & running, called Building Schools for the Future.
In 2010, on coming into power, Michael Gove scrapped it.
He later referred to this as his "biggest mistake in office".
Over 700 schools in line for building work were told it wouldn't be going ahead.

Yeah yeah but .... Labour!?

Covid, Putin, Labour

Never their own incompetence

As Blair stated "our three most important policies are: education, education, education."

I think Starmer is right brining in " Blairites" at this stage. I did read the last election was Labour's to lose and Corbyn didn't disappoint (Tory voters).

Spot the difference:

Today's BBC news:

"The leader of Birmingham City Council insisted vital services would be protected as the authority declared itself effectively bankrupt. The largest local authority in Europe is to halt all spending other than services it must provide by law such as social care, waste collections and protecting the vulnerable. The Labour-run council needs to settle a £760m bill for equal pay claims." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66715441

A council that is effectively bankrupt is in talks with government to borrow up to £636m to help balance its books.

Thurrock Council in Essex has a £1.5bn debt following a series of high-risk investments.

The Conservative-run unitary local authority is also due to find out whether Westminster will allow it to increase council tax by more than 5%.

Thurrock has the largest funding deficit of any local authority in England.

Bankrupt Thurrock council recklessly gambled hundreds of millions of pounds on risky commercial investments while covering up evidence of its losses and attempting to silence critics, a devastating official review has concluded.

The government-commissioned report published on Thursday said the Tory-run council's financial collapse in 2022 was the culmination of years of dysfunctional leadership characterised by complacency, denial, and what the review called "unconscious incompetence".

Lots of councils are in debt, of all colours, starved of money by this govt.
Obviously the memo went out about Birmingham today as all the usual suspects were crowing about it - ignoring other councils in similar straits

Yes but I don't come on here every day claiming that everything will be rosy under a particular political party. I just provide a service by pointing out that it might actually be no different.

The government is banning that f**king nitrous oxide bollocks

About time

So, yeah- well done!