The Power Of Parker

Is anyone planning to watch this new sitcom starting tonight at half past nine on BBC1?

Yep watched it

T'was ok..

Sitcom?

Zero laughs for me

I also thought it was alright but didn't really laugh.

It's just about piqued my interest enough to see what happens next week anyway

Thought the opening episode was quite strong, and a welcome surprise to see that Sian Gibson's actually a co-writer on the series (alongside fellow Car Share writer Paul Coleman). Some great performances and convincing characterisations, with plenty of laughs, at least for me. Glad to see the critical reception appears to be relatively positive. Looking forward to the rest of the series, which I'll probably be watching weekly, depending on what BBC1 have in mind to replace NGO beforehand after its final episode next week. I think it speaks to the changing strategy at the BBC that the show feels like something that would be given a 10pm berth on BBC2 up until a few years ago, like previous nostalgia-fest, and criminally underrated, White Gold.

Hell of a coincidence to not just have both Gibson and Sheila Reid back together after their time on the Draper's Tours specials and series for GOLD, but in the same week as the final special got repeated on BBC2.

Posted this initially on the NGO thread, but it is a shame that it's yet another half-hour comedy-drama that seems designed to be self-contained, rather than a proper sitcom format that could run and run (though I've read a review that challenges that thought), even though such formats aren't really in vogue these days (yes, Queen of Oz fulfilled that... kinda, but given the ratings both here and down under, as well as the critical reception (which unfairly shaped the judgement of the series IMO, as it significantly improved as it went on), the only run and run that's likely to make is to the bottom of WHSmiths' bargain bin if they ever dare to release it on DVD).

If this was sold as a drama, it would have worked. As a sitcom? I didn't laugh once.

Quote: octothorpe @ 29th July 2023, 2:42 AM

Thought the opening episode was quite strong, and a welcome surprise to see that Sian Gibson's actually a co-writer on the series (alongside fellow Car Share writer Paul Coleman). Some great performances and convincing characterisations, with plenty of laughs, at least for me. Glad to see the critical reception appears to be relatively positive. Looking forward to the rest of the series, which I'll probably be watching weekly, depending on what BBC1 have in mind to replace NGO beforehand after its final episode next week. I think it speaks to the changing strategy at the BBC that the show feels like something that would be given a 10pm berth on BBC2 up until a few years ago, like previous nostalgia-fest, and criminally underrated, White Gold.

Hell of a coincidence to not just have both Gibson and Sheila Reid back together after their time on the Draper's Tours specials and series for GOLD, but in the same week as the final special got repeated on BBC2.

Posted this initially on the NGO thread, but it is a shame that it's yet another half-hour comedy-drama that seems designed to be self-contained, rather than a proper sitcom format that could run and run (though I've read a review that challenges that thought), even though such formats aren't really in vogue these days (yes, Queen of Oz fulfilled that... kinda, but given the ratings both here and down under, as well as the critical reception (which unfairly shaped the judgement of the series IMO, as it significantly improved as it went on), the only run and run that's likely to make is to the bottom of WHSmiths' bargain bin if they ever dare to release it on DVD).

Good analysis, do you work in TV?

More drama than comedy: distinctly unfunny. The malinghed witch finder raised more smiles!

Quote: beaky @ 29th July 2023, 8:51 AM

Good analysis, do you work in TV?

No, I don't, but I'll take that as a compliment! It's actually the second time someone's asked me that, though the first time I'm still unsure as to whether it was sarcastic or not!

Quote: gb901 @ 30th July 2023, 1:46 PM

More drama than comedy: distinctly unfunny. The malinghed witch finder raised more smiles!

You have a point there, which is also something I raised in my OP, is that comedy-drama - as compared to straight up sitcoms - seems to be becoming the go-to guise in which comedy comes now. I think BCG wrote an article about it a year or so ago. I must say, though, that sometimes comedy-drama can work quite well and be really funny; I'm currently watching the Australian comedy-drama Deadloch on Amazon Prime (think Broadchurch with a bit of levity in it), and I haven't laughed so much at anything in ages - and this is in spite of the fact there's some moments of deep drama, but has the kind of elements you see in sitcoms brought out by excellent characterisation of some of the cast that means you outright despite characters and consequently take sides, rooting for the underdog or those unfairly maligned or disdained (which is pretty common in both UK and US sitcoms).

There are, admittedly, sometimes where misfires happen. The recent ITV1 drama Stonehouse, shown earlier in this year, got flak from some quarters that felt going down the path of making the central character a pathetic figure you're supposed to pity - in order to give the show a level of, again, levity - didn't quite work. I enjoyed watching it, but I do admit I agree with some of that criticism.

I'd rather get the impression that by combining both genres the writer thinks they're demonstrating how witty and clever they are? Personally I think they should master one or the other before making a complete cock up of both! I've been watching series 3 of the righteous gemstones on Sky and that has, in my humble opinion, quite a good combination of both comedy and drama.

I'm enjoying it but agree it's not really a comedy.

Fell asleep half way through Ep 2 . Not a good sign.

Last night's wasn't as strong as the first, and there was nowhere near as much humour, but still an enjoyable watch. I'm still conflicted over whether this show is more of a BBC1 or BBC2 programme, and, so, if it's in the right place/slot.

I am concerned that the series' storyline taking place over three days means that perhaps the show's not as sharp as if they'd been more flexible with the constrained time period of the show, but I'll reserve my judgement until I watch the full lot. It may be that you get the most out of the show, as a result of that, through binge-watching or watching them in quick succession (with boxsetting as well as a linear run, you just don't know which type of viewing the show has actually been designed for), as opposed to the weekly, linear pace I've opted for; I think I got a lot more out of Colin from Accounts, for example, after I stopped adhering to its weekly schedule, so we'll see what happens now its lead-in programme has changed.

I might give it a go, although I tend to find the BBC1 Friday night offerings a bit bland for my more surreal tastes.

I watched the opening episode of this with some family, they enjoyed this programme better then me and I was the person that suggested watching it.