Breaking the fourth wall and other stylistic effects

Breaking the 4th wall is frequently mentioned. Fleabag and Miranda are quoted. One of the first I remember (although probably loads before) was Lovejoy. I'm not sure I'm really that comfortable with its use though.

Secondly I've noticed on a couple of Dramas the investigators "viewing" their hypothesis taking place while they watch. I've seen that on Silent Witness and Beyond Paradise. Again I'm not comfortable with this either. It just looks weird.

Oliver Hardy , the original and the master of the art

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2023, 5:34 PM

Breaking the 4th wall is frequently mentioned. Fleabag and Miranda are quoted. One of the first I remember (although probably loads before) was Lovejoy. I'm not sure I'm really that comfortable with its use though.

Secondly I've noticed on a couple of Dramas the investigators "viewing" their hypothesis taking place while they watch. I've seen that on Silent Witness and Beyond Paradise. Again I'm not comfortable with this either. It just looks weird.

The first has to be used with caution.
Miranda made me cringe; Fleabag, I felt, added - especially when she left he camera behind at the end of the finale - one of the great endings in my book.

The second is cheat as far as I'm concerned - especially the Silent Witness ones.
Are we meant to take the 'visions' as what actually happened. or what he thought happened?
Using an 'unreliable narrator' as a way of dispensing information is dodgy.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th March 2023, 5:44 PM

The first has to be used with caution.
Miranda made me cringe; Fleabag, I felt, added - especially when she left he camera behind at the end of the finale - one of the great endings in my book.
Using an 'unreliable narrator' as a way of dispensing information is dodgy.

Quite a lot of unreliable narration in Fleabag!

For an early example in television sitcom, I recommend The Strange World Of Gurney Slade.

Like all those sorts of devices: Fine if done well (adding something new and interesting to the actual style of the show). Not fine if not (being used to just lazily deliver exposition to the audience in lieu of good writing). See also: the mockumentary format, an unseen narrator character, etc.

Also fine to throw in a 4th wall break when your show is definitely about to be cancelled by the network: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXj1TF1-7M&t=9s

Quote: Aaron @ 14th March 2023, 5:47 PM

Quite a lot of unreliable narration in Fleabag!

That's rather the point of the show!
In a procedural, I think it's a bit shonky.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th March 2023, 6:07 PM

That's rather the point of the show!
In a procedural, I think it's a bit shonky.

Yes, fair distinction.

Up Pompeii

"The prologue..."

Works well in House of Cards, both UK and US versions.

I just see it as a TV version of a stage play soliloquy to be honest.

Sean's Show

He spent pretty much the whole episode talking to the audience!

Mockumentaries are essentially breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the audience, although weirdly it's not considered it when they do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the first British example of this Laurence Sterne's Tristam Shandy?

In the first episode of Filthy, Rich and Catflap, they break the fourth wall to introduce Ralph.
'I know that.' - 'Yes, but they don't.'
It didn't feel like whacky, knockabout humour. Just a desperate cop-out. Compare and c**trast The Buke in THHGTTG.
Whenever The Young Ones do it, it's hilarious.